New: Pause syncing

From Pause/Stop sync toggle

You can now pause a service from syncing new activities from your Settings page (top right menu).

This is useful if you’ve connected multiple activity trackers (because each of them has a different history or because you’ve switched tracking services) and no longer need to sync with some of the services.

This pause feature helps with the fact that revoking access in your tracking service will delete those activities in CityStrides.

The feature is built in a way that still allows you to log in with the paused tracking service without affecting the pause.

Activities in the queue for paused services will be skipped/ignored when it’s their turn.

14 Likes

Giving me a “I’m not saying it never existed” error right now. Am I too early?

Strava pause:
https://citystrides.com/identities/6812/pause

MapMyRun pause:
https://citystrides.com/identities/18194/pause

:musical_note: Oops :notes:
I had the wrong link format … that should be fixed up now.

It went from “I’m not saying…”

to

“Uh Oh, Something went wrong”

But when I reloaded the settings page, they had turned green and say “resume syncing”

:confounded:
I swear I know what I’m doing. :grimacing:
OK, that’s sorted out now. Your pause did go through. :+1:

5 Likes

Amazing, and worked well for me! I’ve paused Strava and started importing my runs through runkeeper. Hope that helps to balance the load.

Nice! I got the Garmin sync in place and the Strava and Runkeeper pause worked. But because of my idiocracy the other day I resumed syncing of Strava, this worked - but I get the “I’m not saying…” when I tried to pause Garmin sync

This is great, Strava and Runkeeper duly paused while I try out the new Garmin connection,

Quick question, if I were to un-pause one of the other services fr any reason would it then re-import all of the data I have missed between now and then?

I assume so. I don’t intend too but it would be useful if you could set a from today setting if I do un-pause again.

I’m sure its a trivial issue for most o your users so not a priority but just trying to understand.

Thanks again,

@howling0_strava CityStrides will not re-import the activities that occur between pausing and un-pausing a service, regardless of which service that is.

Also, if you have multiple services that are un-paused, activities will come in multiple times, but new street completions will only count on one of those activities.

1 Like

Thanks Dave, That’s good, so you don’t get the importing of old activities that have not been synced before except on the first time you set up a new service. (except Garmin as that is not set up yet)

Good to know,

I was aware of the multiple instances of an activity from multiple services.

Thanks.

Cool idea!!!

Also I have a missing Strava activity. It’s in the queue, but I’ve paused Strava syncing…will it still come through? Or do I have to unpause Strava syncing until comes into CS and then repause?

Yeah, unpause … wait for the activity to arrive in CityStrides … re-pause.

Pausing works by exiting the job early if the connection is paused. This allows someone with hundreds of queued activities to pause Strava syncing & have all of those queued jobs go away quickly.

1 Like

I’m getting the " I’m not saying it never existed." error when I try and unpause. I currently have both Strava and Mapmyrun paused, and get the error when I try and unpause either.

[Edited because I fixed my syncing issue, so not an urgent problem for me at all]

I removed my Strava account after activating and importing my MapMyRun account. Now my lifemap appears accurate and all the data that was still pending in Strava has synced through MapMyRun. Now my completed street count is wrong. I went from over 400 completed streets to 157. Is there a way to fix this? Also I’m not at all tech savvy so I can’t figure out how to copy the link to my profile on CityStrides.
Thank you,
Heather Panagopoulos

@heather.panagopoulos by “removed my Strava account”, do you mean that you paused it or deactivated it? Hopefully you paused it and it’s some other issue that has affected the street count. Unfortunately if you deactivated it, all the Strava activities and progress will have been deleted, as highlighted in this post:

I can see that you’re also connected through Garmin- while the historical sync hasn’t been developed for that yet, it is in progress, so stay tuned for that too! Either way don’t worry too much, your data still exists in your source system, so will be possible to re-load a few different ways if needed.

With respect to the user URL, there are a few ways to share a link to your Striding progress (and those super dark purple lines in Pleasanton and Livermore!!)

1. This URL will link to your LifeMap: https://citystrides.com/users/16867/map
  2. This URL will link to your profile: https://citystrides.com/users/16867
  3. In general, you can search users at this page: https://citystrides.com/users

I did deactivate it because I still had over 200 runs that were not importing. I connected to MapMyRun and everything imported in a matter of about 2 hours! But then I had double of over 170 runs. Livermore was at 12% when looking at completed streets. But now that I revoked Strava the life map is correct but the street count and completed streets is way off.

If you reconnected Strava to CC they will start to import, it’ll take a while but it’ll get done. I inadvertently disconnected a couple weeks ago and I think I am finally close to have all streets reimported ~1500 streets

If I understand the issue, the lifemap being correct may be just due to old data still be inadvertently displayed. If you log out and quit your browser and log in again it may update to reflect just the MapMyRun activities. May additionally require clearing your cache/cookies.

Are all the runs you have in Strava also in MapMyRun, or just a subset?

Looks like signing out and clearing my cache fixed the issue of having the Strava data still showing. It is now gone. However the MapMyRun street count is still off. The lifemap shows the streets as completed and the run shows up in the profile but most of them say 0 streets completed. I’m hoping it will correct overnight