I’ve had a few requests to add trails in addition to the streets that already exist. This feature comes with a number of questions, though.
- The site is called CityStrides, so does it matter that I’m tacking on trails too? Arguably not, given ‘RunKeeper’ tracks swimming workouts.
- The site organizes everything by Country->State(Region)->City->Street, but it seems like that organization doesn’t necessarily apply to trails. It seems like some trails can be organize into Country->State->Trail, but then there are others like the Appalachian Trail which span a number of states … Maybe ‘Trails’ could be unorganized?
Beyond those questions, it just comes down to sourcing this data.
Streets are composed of individual ‘nodes’ (which are just GPS coordinates). I currently get all of this data from OpenStreetMap. I’m not sure if they store hiking trails…
If there’s another source of this data in the general format of ‘Trail Name’ with associated lat/lon points that mark out the path, then I’d be up for working with that.
If you’re interested in seeing trails added to CityStrides (or if you’re opposed to this idea), I’d like to hear from you.
- Organization requirements for your use of trails? Do they need to be associated with a City or Country?
- Are there certain trails you would not want included?
- Can you think of anything I haven’t thought of so far that could be either problematic or useful?