OSM editing guidelines

Heya James, really appreciate the work it took to bring CS over to OSM. I’d begun editing OSM a while back for another project and was wondering what conditions turned our little red nodes green or removed them entirely?

My city has plenty of streets with bad data, have been mostly snipping the ends off the ones that run into peoples yards or woods. In other cases, streets turn into the parking lots of utility companies or other private areas, for those I’ve created a break in the line and set access to “no” for all conditions in that private area. Is this enough to remove it from the to-do list? Another question, does changing the type of road remove it from contention, i.e. changing an un-runnable trunk road to a motorway? Or should we just set only foot access to “no” for any of the above issues?

Again, thanks and please let us know if there are other OSM editing guidelines that’d be helpful to you and us!

1 Like

You might be affected by the City and Street progress missing - #55 by JamesChevalier issue … but your profile looks pretty complete. :thinking: Should you have more completed streets somewhere?

The Overpass query that I use to collect the streets/nodes within a City is:

[timeout:900][out:json];
area(#{overpass_area_id})->.a;
(
way(area.a)
['name']
['highway']
['highway' !~ 'path']
['highway' !~ 'steps']
['highway' !~ 'motorway']
['highway' !~ 'motorway_link']
['highway' !~ 'raceway']
['highway' !~ 'bridleway']
['highway' !~ 'proposed']
['highway' !~ 'construction']
['highway' !~ 'elevator']
['highway' !~ 'bus_guideway']
['highway' !~ 'footway']
['highway' !~ 'cycleway']
['foot' !~ 'no']
['access' !~ 'private']
['access' !~ 'no'];
node(w)(area.a);
);
out;

So I’m skipping all of those !~ types, thought there’s an ongoing conversation about bringing in trails.

I don’t have any update capability built into CityStrides yet. That’s a whole other project. So it may take some time for any OSM edits to make their way into CityStrides (but it is planned).

3 Likes

I was doing the same. By that i mean i have a complete resync of my cities i had on 99%/100% before citystrides 2.0. I was just now building an excel with the ‘new arrising’ unfinished streets and looking for OSM updates that need to be made to get citystrides correct. I have some privacy and foot= no to adjust (some big new motorways still have access =all).

Does the above script also mean that if i have a entrance way or some driveway to garageboxes etc. and i delete the name there, the next update, those relations would automatically (and correctly) be gone in citystrides? I hope so, that would be cool.

And that means i now will update OSM that way (tagging private/no foot/access=no/delete streetnames from entrances) and let the progression stay on 94/96% for now.

And of course go run the open spaces that are now emerging and i missed before! :slight_smile:

Another thing: i have several streets that are within a city, but actually 90+% of the street are outside of that city? Is that a ‘cut a street on the cityborder’ problem? and should we let you know these for fixing or analyses?

I actually used a different query for the initial import than what I noted :point_up: up there. The one I used didn’t ignore Nodes outside of the City boundary. :frowning_face:
Whenever I get around to the update process, it’ll keep the Street if any Node is within the City but it’ll ignore any Node outside of the City. So if there was a Street with 100 Nodes, and only 10 of them are in the City boundary, then (after the next data update) the Street would only have 10 Nodes in CityStrides.

1 Like

So that outside city boundary will be solved one day… Then i start updating ‘my’ cities in OSM on driveways and private stretches and motorways that have foot = yes. It will come through one day and my run cities will legitimate jump to 100%!

1 Like

Can I suggest adding:
[‘highway’ !~ ‘trunk’] e.g. Way: ‪Piet Heintunnel‬ (‪142628388‬) | OpenStreetMap
[‘highway’ !~ ‘platform’] e.g. Way: ‪A‬ (‪444753003‬) | OpenStreetMap

2 Likes

Just catching up on this now that my completed streets have been restored–Seattle has a number of similar issues, usually 1) nodes on dead-end streets that are unreachable; 2) streets in the port or other no-access areas.

It is hard to see these on a map and it seems like a better dataset will depend on those of us who have actually gone down these dead-end streets and figured out where the bounds are.

I see some discussion on this topic but is there a post/guide anywhere that explains how to go into OSM and make these edits? And accepted practice for what edits to make?

Editing OSM is very easy: go to https://www.openstreetmap.org, click the “edit” button (you might have to register first), then find the area you want to work on. Streets are made up of dots (the nodes), you can click on them individually and make changes in the editor pane that opens on the left of the screen.

For the cases you describe it probably makes most sense to use the “access” tag, and set it to “private” or “permissive” as appropriate (under “all tags” enter “access” and select type from dropdown, or add a new tag first if necessary). When you’re done, press “save” in the top right corner, and upload your changes.

3 Likes

Just to add to the above: for anyone interested in editing OSM maproulette.org is a good place to start. The site has different challenges for improving the map, including easy ones that can help in getting familiar with how editing (and the map) works.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: “Update this street” feature

A post was split to a new topic: How are people handling possible errors with node placement in OSM?

My local osm guide advised to use the tag below in some cases, can you add this to your list as well? So the main rode is excluded.
foot=use_sidepath

Do you have any examples of streets present in CityStrides that would be removed by ignoring this tag?

here is the one the discussion was about where my local OSM guide suggested to use foot=use_sidepath instead of using foot=no (as i did)

Reading through this thread and seeing that there could be a trail option makes me excited…it would be really neat to find a way to work that into completing a city/town. Be cool to see both your trail and road completion progress.

Here’s Groenezoom in CityStrides: Groenezoom in Dordrecht, Zuid-Holland - CityStrides

Is the issue that the street has a sidewalk (or some sort of path/lane/area that is suitable for walking), so therefore it’s not foot=no?

yes, exactly.
and when i ran on the sidewalk, some of the citystrides nodes are not marked complete.

What do BLUE nodes mean? To date I’ve only seen GREEN & RED.

It doesn’t mean “Marked as manually complete” does it? That’s something I have yet to do. :slight_smile:

Dropping a reply to see the answer to blue nodes^

1 Like