All city boundaries displayed on Lifemap

I was thinking of another map toggle action: a “City Boundaries” layer.

I very frequently (excessively frequently) study my LifeMap, and then have to jump back and forth to the city view (which requires a visit to the profile page, first). In my area I’m working on 4 or 5 cities at once. Would be great if I could see all the city boundaries by default on the LifeMap.

2019-05-27_12-43-01

4 Likes

hmmm nice idea.
I have 125 cities in my profile also in other countries.
Maybe the city outline should be confined to all the adjacentcities around the chosen one ?

4 Likes

Great idea. That would be very helpful.

2 Likes

I actually would like cityborders visible in any place of this site. I ran 7 small cities untill now, and when planning i always needed to have OSM open for that city besides my lifemap, and then strava for routeplanning. I could/can cope of course, but city borderlines in Limburg Netherlands would have been/would be helpfull.

(btw @JamesChevalier: the cities in this dutch province are still tagged as cities from Belgium. So it’s a patriotic thing. The Netherlands have a province called Limburg, Belgium also. And this is a historic thing, but the cities in the dutch part are not from Belgium! probably an import hiccup from the past? )

1 Like

Went to submit this idea and found it existed already. Would love a way to toggle on the city boundaries beyond looking at just a specific city. Really I’m still pining for the idea to create my own mega-city to define my region by being able to select several existing cities to create it from. Another way to implement this goes back to having favorite cities as well where you could show the boundaries for all of your “favorites”.

3 Likes

I think this is a good option. Especially for places like London, where the city itself is subdivided into 32 different boroughs.

2 Likes

As I read this (thanks or finding it @dallas.devries), a thought came to me. I’d like to see (on a map) the streets that extend beyond city limits. I know the LifeMap, is not the place for this, but I was thinking it would be cool to have a CityMap, with all the streets shown. Why?

To help identify, and visualize, the extra striding required to complete a city, because there are streets that don’t stop at city limits.

Or maybe it’s no big deal. When I find a street like that, I try to fix it is OSM. I’ve been relatively successful. Maybe others are doing the same?

Alright, I got off topic, but I up voted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eric -

Any streets that have nodes outside the city limits required to “complete” at city are actually a mistake.

When the OSM data was brought in the query accidentally brought in all the nodes on a street if that street had nodes in a city, and was intended to only include nodes within the boundary.

Any new cities brought into CS since then are correct, and the rest of the cities will be fixed when the OSM data update procedure is developed and rolled out.

2 Likes

I agree your idea is off topic, but essentially what you want is a “full node-hunter” view. I think you should post this under a new topic, because it would be neat, but I see two challenges:

a) CityStrides actually might not have “streets”, it might only know about nodes. There may be no way to “draw” the road themselves (although straight line approximations would probably be fine)

b) There’s a 1000 node limit for Node Hunter. The question then is “why?” Can we just show all the nodes for a given city? Would it crash the database? If not, then you’d immediately see all the nodes outside your city range.

It would however be REALLY cool to see the “completed city view”: essentially show what we’re working towards.

1 Like

This is a great idea!

Thank you @jpbari, that makes a lot of sense.

So now I’m curious, what are other Striders doing when they run across this problem (no pun intended)?

My dilemma is going to be North Tarrant Parkway to complete the city of Keller. It extends quite a bit, but not a too crazy amount (couple miles perhaps).

I guess when the time comes, as I near 100% for Keller, I’ll just have to bite the bullet and run it, and add the effort to Fort Worth.

I see a similar issue as I am completing my hometown of Montvale, NJ and there are many streets that continue to other towns (for miles and miles) so not sure how to handle that. I am 85% complete (but probably closer to 95% complete) along with other issues such as my GPS was off on a few streets and missed nodes as well as I found streets that don’t exist and cannot be run??? (I am new to this website so I will have to keep researching where to report that.) - Thanks!

@ericjrw and @bc25291697d19b12b61b-

How you handle this depends on what you want to do. If you have completed all the nodes with in the city limits and it is just the nodes due to the “town line bug” as I call it, some people choose to utilize the “manually complete” button. The next time OSM updates for the area your manual complete will not be needed anymore. Others are waiting and just leaving things as partially complete, knowing they will become complete when the time comes.

I personally have 5 smaller cities/towns in my area that will switch to 100% when the next update takes place.

@bc25291697d19b12b61b -

When you find errors in the map, you can go to Openstreetmap and make the necessary changes to the map.

Here are two relevant Wiki posts:

Happy Hunting!

2 Likes

Personally I just finish the roads that are outside the border and then just consider that a jump start on the next town but they usually don’t go more than a few miles outside of town.

2 Likes

yes I am nearing 100% (98,39 % of Amsterdam) now and run the extra nodes outside the city to complete the city as full as possible. Extra fun:-) There are only 9 streets outside the limit on a total of 4711. There are more incorrect streets,some you can still run some are impossible.

3 Likes

Bumping the original idea in some form. I’d love to be able to zoom in on an area of my lifemap, see all the city boundaries and have them either be identifiable or better yet clickable to take me to the city page.

This would be especially helpful in identifying where all the isolated small towns and suburbs are when looking for The Next (Big?) Thing™

I’d love a way to look at an overview and see all the smaller things outlined in blue to know which one is the next closest, or see where different cities start/end to try and plot efficient runs

For me a good place might be on the Cities page on the default map when you zoom in

7 Likes

Bumping this up because it’s the only one I’ve found that covers the problem. I want to tell a friend about this but I can’t work out what his city is or where the boundary extends to. I’ve tried entering the names of towns in the area but that doesn’t help. A map layer with all cities on it would be so helpful.

1 Like

I don’t think this quite addresses what folks are looking for but for Canberrans looking at a suburb (city) page you can then click on the ACT heading up the top left and that takes you to a page for the ACT region (like the next level up from the cities). From there I was then able to click around the surrounding cities easier to see where all the boundaries are. Depending on regions and admin levels that might be available for people in other places.

To illustrate Veronica’s example, here I took Stockholm County and clicked Show for all 24 cities

in its list

4 Likes

@hans1 - That is a great thing to be reminded of. I had done that once before but had forgotten about it.

One of the problems locally for me is that the next region up from my local city is the State of Ohio. The state encompasses nearly 45k square miles and currently has 952 cities in CityStrides.

There are 88 counties in Ohio, so maybe they could be added as regions somehow? I am in Lucas County, and it seems to have a border in OSM, so I wonder about the other 87

1 Like