Townships in rural Minnesota

I live in rural Minnesota and my city is about 3 square miles. So I finished all that and been running next city over. I noticed that the townships streets dont count towards anything. There is 3 townships that connect to my city. Marysville (which is 2 blocks from my house) woodland, and Franklin. Is there a way they can be added? Alot of Minnesota has townships.

The best way to help is to get the missing cities into the spreadsheet: How to help with missing/broken cities/regions

Just quickly searched https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ and it looks like Marysville is the only one that won’t be a simple import.

Hhmmm…
Franklin: Franklin, Minnesota - CityStrides
Woodland: Woodland, Minnesota - CityStrides

Ok added to the spreadsheet. I am still very new with this. So was unsure what to do. Franklin and Woodland Townships…not cities. They are different. I know Marysville is really weird boarders, all are farms that are just not anexed into the city yet…Or acre properties like the ones 2 blocks from me.

Franklin already exists in CityStrides: Franklin, Minnesota - CityStrides
Woodland already exists in CityStrides: Woodland, Minnesota - CityStrides
My understanding of Marysville is that it exists within Waverly, which already exists in CityStrides: Waverly, Minnesota - CityStrides

No Franklin the city is not the same as Franklin Township. They are 61 miles apart
Woodland the City is not the same as woodland Township they are I think 30 miles apart.

Marysville township is not a part of Waverly. It’s like they circle around the 2 cities of Montrose and Waverly.

A township is not apart of the city they are the rural areas and dont pay city taxes, they have their own town halls too. I included Google maps screen shot.

Ah, interesting!

I searched around in https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org (the search interface for https://www.openstreetmap.org) and couldn’t find any of the Township places. They’re not even present as Nodes (single points), so OSM doesn’t know anything about those places.
There have been instances where I’ve been unable to find a place, and someone else has been able to - so maybe someone reading along will be able to help out. :man_shrugging:

The Marysville Township website - http://www.marysvilletwp.com - lists its Town Hall address as within Waverly. :grimacing:

Thanks for sharing all this info - I’ve learned a bunch.

Yeah I went and searched on OSM for the townships before posting on here. I was trying to figure out why so many streets I had done didnt count. But they are on google so I was confused…you can see the city boarders.
This website helps as you can see the cities in yellow but they rest is the townships in the County. See in Wisconsin they call them villages. So even more confusing.
https://www.co.wright.mn.us/250/Cities-Townships
The Marysville townhall has a Waverly address…only because of mailing address and which post office then delivers the mail. But as you can see its outside the city boarder.

See how on this run I ran on 56th and on Endicott Ave SW (between the 2 lakes) I didnt realize these were not apart of Waverly. Missie Jacobson's Activity on July 4, 2020 - CityStrides

Hello!
Is there a way to have Linwood Township, MN also added? It is located in the very North Eastern corner of Anoka County. It is directly North of Columbus, MN and East of East Bethel.
Let me know if additional information.
Also sorry to be a tack on to an earlier request!
Thank you!

@zbrown4 you want to help out on this one?

Luckily Linwood Township is already drawn, so I just added it to the spreadsheet for James to import.

Thank you, Missie & Zach, for getting this going! Thank you, James, in advance for getting this added! I look forward to seeing it soon!

Hello @JamesChevalier - I am new at requesting maps to be updated. What steps do I need to follow in requesting the above mentioned Linwood Township added/exposed to CityStrides?
Thank you!
-Mike

Hi @zbrown4,
Would you be willing to help out with a few more MN townships? I am willing to learn loading them as well, if you prefer to go that way.
The townships listed below are a few from some of the more local counties. If it is easier to add all the townships for each county, we could go that route.
Isanti County: Stanford Township, Athens Township, Oxford Township - Isanti County Maps
Sherburne County: Livonia Township, Big Lake Township - Sherburne County Maps

Please let me know if I can learn/assist in getting these loaded. Thank you!

All the level 7 towhnships are in the missing spreadsheet. I looked and Stanford Township, Athens Township, Oxford Township, Livonia Township, and Big Lake Township are all in in OSM so just need them to get added. There will be a ton of new Cities. James gave these 2 links which I found help with what has boarders overpass turbo and Sign In - CityStrides for what is in CS already. Hope this helps.

Thank you, @missiejacobson! the links were very helpful! I added a number of cities into the spreadsheet. See you tomorrow!

I’ve just been able to bulk import all admin level 7 & 8 places in Minnesota, bringing the total city count to 1088: Minnesota, United States - CityStrides

The import is still ongoing, so you’ll probably see some zero-street cities until those are populated. It’ll also take a long while for all the progress to be calculated, so don’t expect your completed streets or percentages be to correct for a while (on the scale of hours).

3 Likes

Thanks @JamesChevalier i have like 20 new cities and streets.

Thank you, @JamesChevalier, adding these ! This is awesome! There are so many new areas to explore and get credit for! Thank you, @missiejacobson , for putting in the request!

1 Like