Toggle Node Hunter

Just started using Node Hunter. Supper cool!

Can it be toggled? Clicking magnifying glass turns red nodes on, but can they be turned off?

Satellite is a toggle, though it forgets zoom level.

Thought Node Hunter would be a toggle too. Is there a quick way to turn off the red nodes?

Thank you, Eric

Not yet; Iā€™m going to move this to #ideas
Right now, the button runs a request back to the server for unfinished Nodes for unfinished Streets in the current view ā€¦ Iā€™d have to figure out a way to change that behavior without making it annoying to use Node Hunter a few times in a row.

1 Like

If you just refresh the page youā€™re looking it, it will regenerate the lifemap with the nodes highlighted by node hunter turned off.

2 Likes

Thanks @davemorin, on my computer, that also resets the zoom level. I should have mentioned that!

Oh, and I was not on LifeMap, just a city I have not run in. :slight_smile:

So I just discovered if you turn on satellite imagery, then off, it clears red nodes and does not change zoom level.

When the nodes are shown on a street, more often that not the name of the street disappears. Maybe there a possibility to let it be shown through the nodes or another solution. This issue is probably more to do with the underlaying map provider that CityStride ā€¦ but anyway :blush:

I love :heart: the Node Hunter on the LifeMap too but would love it even more :heart: :heart: if the button toggled the nodes on and off.

Itā€™s great to see where the ā€˜yet to be completedā€™ nodes are but it would be nice to be able to hit the button again to turn them off if theyā€™re obscuring part of the map such as a road name or configuration. At the moment the only way I can see to get rid of them is to refresh the page.

2 Likes

Pro tip: double click the globe icon and the map without nodes will return at the same spot with the same zoom!

3 Likes

thank you for that advice. But that donā€™t happen on my device :slight_smile: It zooms out and changes to satellite view and then the same view on Mapbox. So I agree on Grahams idea to toggle node view on and off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@bas & @hkvisgaard, I think it depends on your browser, and maybe platform (app or PC).

I have not paid close enough attention, but sometimes it works as @bas said, and other times not.

I think a clue would be to look at the address bar. If it looks ā€œcomplicatedā€, i.e. a long URL, it will work as @bas said, or by hitting the refresh button. If it a a shorter URL, the ā€œpro tipā€ wonā€™t work.

PS. I have three browser on both phone and PC, an keep forgetting to pay attention, but I think Firefox creates the long URL that works, but donā€™t quote me on that.

By the way, my tip above, also seems browser dependent. :confused:

Voting for Node toggle too. Every time I use the Node Hunter I wish I could then turn it off. Refreshing is no fun since it resets the map zoom.

1 Like

Just came up with another way to ā€œtoggle node hunterā€ - Pan your view way left, right, up, or down, click node hunter, then pan back to the area your are looking at. The red nodes have been ā€œmovedā€ to the previous area, and now are not in the area you donā€™t want the red nodes.

1 Like

So apparently, zoom level is reset on the ā€˜city lifemapā€™, but is preserved in the ā€˜global lifemapā€™.

1 Like

This was just released: Updates on March 17, 2021

4 Likes

Very cool! I :heart: it!

Hi James, I love this feature! However, after turning node hunter on (on my phone) Iā€™m finding myself hitting the ā€˜node hunterā€™ button to turn it off again because thatā€™s how my brain is telling me a toggle works. I only then realise thereā€™s a red X to turn it off. Is there any chance you could change it so you only have to hit the one button to turn it on and off?

Iā€™m not sure that would be a great experience for people who are continuously using Node Hunter e.g. while creating a route that extends out of the current view of the map. In that case, you would have to click to show the nodes & click to hide the nodes & click to show the nodes in the new area ā€¦ with the current layout, you have a single button that you can keep clicking over & over while panning the map around.

2 Likes

No worries! Iā€™ll just have to re-train my brain. :laughing:

Thanks for all your hard work on the site. I love seeing the new additions.

1 Like

I agree with @JamesChevalier. I use Node hunter while running and if I pan or move the map I want to refresh the nodes by just clicking the icon again. I have no problems removing them with the X if needed

2 Likes