Toggle Node Hunter

Just started using Node Hunter. Supper cool!

Can it be toggled? Clicking magnifying glass turns red nodes on, but can they be turned off?

Satellite is a toggle, though it forgets zoom level.

Thought Node Hunter would be a toggle too. Is there a quick way to turn off the red nodes?

Thank you, Eric

Not yet; I’m going to move this to #ideas
Right now, the button runs a request back to the server for unfinished Nodes for unfinished Streets in the current view … I’d have to figure out a way to change that behavior without making it annoying to use Node Hunter a few times in a row.

1 Like

If you just refresh the page you’re looking it, it will regenerate the lifemap with the nodes highlighted by node hunter turned off.

2 Likes

Thanks @davemorin, on my computer, that also resets the zoom level. I should have mentioned that!

Oh, and I was not on LifeMap, just a city I have not run in. :slight_smile:

So I just discovered if you turn on satellite imagery, then off, it clears red nodes and does not change zoom level.

When the nodes are shown on a street, more often that not the name of the street disappears. Maybe there a possibility to let it be shown through the nodes or another solution. This issue is probably more to do with the underlaying map provider that CityStride … but anyway :blush:

I love :heart: the Node Hunter on the LifeMap too but would love it even more :heart: :heart: if the button toggled the nodes on and off.

It’s great to see where the ‘yet to be completed’ nodes are but it would be nice to be able to hit the button again to turn them off if they’re obscuring part of the map such as a road name or configuration. At the moment the only way I can see to get rid of them is to refresh the page.

2 Likes

Pro tip: double click the globe icon and the map without nodes will return at the same spot with the same zoom!

3 Likes

thank you for that advice. But that don’t happen on my device :slight_smile: It zooms out and changes to satellite view and then the same view on Mapbox. So I agree on Grahams idea to toggle node view on and off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@bas & @hkvisgaard, I think it depends on your browser, and maybe platform (app or PC).

I have not paid close enough attention, but sometimes it works as @bas said, and other times not.

I think a clue would be to look at the address bar. If it looks “complicated”, i.e. a long URL, it will work as @bas said, or by hitting the refresh button. If it a a shorter URL, the “pro tip” won’t work.

PS. I have three browser on both phone and PC, an keep forgetting to pay attention, but I think Firefox creates the long URL that works, but don’t quote me on that.

By the way, my tip above, also seems browser dependent. :confused:

Voting for Node toggle too. Every time I use the Node Hunter I wish I could then turn it off. Refreshing is no fun since it resets the map zoom.

1 Like

Just came up with another way to “toggle node hunter” - Pan your view way left, right, up, or down, click node hunter, then pan back to the area your are looking at. The red nodes have been “moved” to the previous area, and now are not in the area you don’t want the red nodes.

1 Like

So apparently, zoom level is reset on the ‘city lifemap’, but is preserved in the ‘global lifemap’.

1 Like

This was just released: Updates on March 17, 2021

4 Likes

Very cool! I :heart: it!

Hi James, I love this feature! However, after turning node hunter on (on my phone) I’m finding myself hitting the ‘node hunter’ button to turn it off again because that’s how my brain is telling me a toggle works. I only then realise there’s a red X to turn it off. Is there any chance you could change it so you only have to hit the one button to turn it on and off?

I’m not sure that would be a great experience for people who are continuously using Node Hunter e.g. while creating a route that extends out of the current view of the map. In that case, you would have to click to show the nodes & click to hide the nodes & click to show the nodes in the new area … with the current layout, you have a single button that you can keep clicking over & over while panning the map around.

2 Likes

No worries! I’ll just have to re-train my brain. :laughing:

Thanks for all your hard work on the site. I love seeing the new additions.

1 Like

I agree with @JamesChevalier. I use Node hunter while running and if I pan or move the map I want to refresh the nodes by just clicking the icon again. I have no problems removing them with the X if needed

2 Likes