Some Streets contain Nodes outside of City boundary

This thread certainly puts me in a better peace of mind.
I started on working on the small town of Troy, Ohio in May. Among my white whales in Troy are Troy-Urbana Road and Arthur Road. This morning, I ran Arthur until I saw it was 718 at an intersection sign and turned around. Also ran Troy-Urbana until I was pretty sure I was outside city limits before turning around - both were still showing progressed. I did kind of figure this was a known issue, seeing it is in writing puts my mind at a better rest. Troy is full of a few quirky roads I have had to manually complete already - to me, finding some creative ways to truly complete those roads after manual completion is some of the fun. Pretty sure I have trespassed a couple of times lol

2 Likes

Hi,

How do streets work in CS2.0?

This street is in Cardiff, which used to be a city and is now split up into mini ‘cities’, as you can see the street crosses the border and all nodes in Canton (above the blue line) have been completed and yet the street is in my incomplete list.
Obviously I intend to complete the red nodes, but they’re in Grangetown. Do I need to complete the whole street to update both cities? Or is this an error?

:thinking: I would have expected the street to stop at the border.
With what I’m seeing now, I expect there are two streets with the same name and one is in Cardiff (or whichever smaller “city” it is) and the other is in Grangetown. I’d expect both streets to have the exact same nodes as well.

If you want to post in #global-coverage-support about making Cardiff its own full city (if you haven’t already, I think we’ve already discussed this somewhere) I can work through that with you.

I’ve noticed similar in Milwaukee, WI and it’s suburbs. For example: 124th Street in West Allis. The red portions are located in what should be greenfield/new berlin and I haven’t run yet.

There’s a number of other streets I’ve noticed so far that have a similar issue.

Reviewing cities after the Global Coverage update, it seems that there are some streets with nodes outside of the city boundaries that are counting toward completion of that street.

An example can be found here:

The “Liberty Hi” street has nodes which extend beyond the city limits to the south

Is this intentional?

Thanks.

JP

This wasn’t intentional - it was caused by my Overpass query not limiting nodes to the city boundary.
I’m going to have to think about how to fix this up…

In the meantime, I’m going to merge this post into Streets overlapping cities :+1:

I wasn’t sure if I would automatically get notifications on the progress on this thread, so adding mine in as well… streets expanding beyond the city boundaries. Also, noticed a few streets that I had manually marked complete because the remaining nodes were not runable have shown back up again. Do we need to manually complete or are you suggesting modifying the OpenStreets database?

Both? :laughing:
You can manually complete, in order to mark it as complete in CityStrides. You/someone should edit the street in OpenStreetMap to correct it (and a later CityStrides import will correct that here).

1 Like

Do we need to (or should we) join OSM to edit streets? I did just put a pointer at a short street that’s actually just a drainage ditch and asked that it be removed. Also, if a street goes beyond city limits and just into the county(not another city) will it mark as competed as long as I extend slightly beyond city limits? I just passed 40% of my town and I’m trying to figure out the best way to get it completed before year end if that’s even possible since I don’t know how many miles it’ll take. Having so with this!

1 Like

Hi sorry for repeating on this thread. I’m trying to understand the roads outside the boundaries problem. Here’s an example from the Durham, NC map (Durham, North Carolina - CityStrides)

I will skip roads outside the boundaries and manually mark complete partial roads, but how do I try to fix some of this in OSM? thanks @JamesChevalier !

For the nodes outside of the city boundary (I have always called it the “town line bug”) it isn’t a problem with the OSM data, it was a problem with the filtering used in the original query when @JamesChevalier first imported all the cities into CS from OSM. It ended up including all nodes on any street that had a portion in a boundary instead of just the nodes within the boundary.

The only thing that needs to be done is for the city to be re-run with the corrected query and it will be correct. Until recently, there was no code written to do so, and the current code is still being developed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation @jpbari . I won’t worry about this problem too much then. However, I am confused about why there are roads included that are entirely outside the boundary.

did you get that image using node hunter? The node hunter feature doesn’t observe boundaries even when you are looking at a city-specific map view

2 Likes

I have 2 streets that continue to another town. I ran through the town line (past the border) and it still says incomplete. I may run those roads when working on those towns, but would like to close out my town.

I read through the posts about this and it seems this is something that was going to be fixed. But the dates of the post are 2019. I am wondering if this is fixed yet or what I have to do to fix it.

Thanks you!!

The fix for this problem is currently in limited testing - it requires re-processing every city and every member in the world, so @JamesChevalier wants to make sure he has it set up right before starting (the last time he hit go he ended up accidentally losing every members completion totals :scream:, and there were a LOT less members then.

This issue will be fixed when the street and node update project is finalized and rolled out completely.

2 Likes

There is a road (Bemis Savioe Rd) in Manchester, NH / Hooksett, NH that is on the border of the towns and doesn’t show up as a street in either. Any idea if this corner case will be fixed in the update? I’m not sure if it should be one city, or both.

Remember that the map data (including city boundaries) comes directly from OpenStreetMap.org. You need to see how OSM deals with the street. That’s how City Strides will (eventually) deal with the same street.

To add a bit of complexity to that statement, there are actually two different issues. First, and the one that’s currently being worked on in beta is to update the nodes (roads) in City Strides to match the roads in OSM. This involves updating the roads with the city boundaries that CS already imported. It will remove nodes that are outside the city boundaries. It will also update all the nodes inside the cities to add new roads, move existing nodes that were incorrectly placed, and delete nodes that are unrunnable. All that according to the latest information in OSM.

(James recently updated my home city. The big change was dropping all the nodes outside the city, but he also incorporated all the changes made to the city map since he first imported it. This increased my completion percentage by over 10%. However, as I’m continuing to work on completing my city, I’m finding other errors in my city, so there will need to be another update to my city at some point.)

However, what James isn’t currently working on (as far as I can tell) is the question of the actual city boundaries. Many cities have changed their boundaries since the information was imported into CS. The city I work for annexes property a couple times a year. (I’m not at all sure that the boundary in OSM is accurate any more.) James will need to (at some point) figure out which boundaries have been changed, and then go through the entire node update process again for those cities.

What makes that harder is that it’s harder to edit city boundaries in OSM. Unlike roads, you can’t see them on the edit screen. Instead, you’ll have to go through the formal resolutions and ordinances of the city government, OR get a hold of the GIS shape file and compare it to the existing city boundary. This isn’t something that I (currently) feel comfortable, so I won’t be updating the city boundaries in OSM, so James will not be able to get updated city boundary information about my home city from me.

And all this may be moot. There is no requirement that every road be in a city. It is possible that the road you’re looking at isn’t in a city. And if the road is outside a city, then it won’t count on CS. (I’m in Florida, and large swaths of most counties are in unincorporated areas of a county, which means that any running I do on those streets doesn’t help me on CS at all.)

I’m unsure. When I get some free time, I’ll play with some queries to see what gets returned. It’s possible that Overpass isn’t seeing the nodes as “inside” either area (“area” in overpass is the city boundary)

Yeah, I’m working to optimize the update code so that I can run updates more frequently. At the moment, I’m only updating active cities & it’s looking like I’ll be able to update cities once every ~200 days or so. :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I’m not doing this yet. I definitely plan to, though. One step at a time. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks -
It probably rare that a road is on the border and only the border. I’ve opened up both GIS maps for Manchester and Hooksett, and determined the road should be in Hooksett.
I’ve made other updates in OSM as I’ve found issues (and seen them recently show up - Thanks James!), but this one sounds too complicated to change at the moment.
Since I only plan on running Manchester to completion, I’m ok that it doesn’t show up :joy:. When/If I ever run Hooksett, maybe I’ll take on the OSM challenge. If it magically shows up in a future CS update for Manchester, then i’ll have to run it …

should not be hard work to shift the street a few cm to the Hooksett side of the border in OSM.