Purple Lines missing from LifeMap

:man_facepalming:
I think I may have missed adding a “generate the map tiles” step when someone becomes a supporter. I’ve just started that for you now - sorry about that.

Hi James, I am having the same issue as above. I am a contributor as well, so maybe the issue you mention applies to me? Timm Huffman - CityStrides

Hi James, I’m also having the same issue. User ID 9532. Keep up the great work and thank you for all your hard work!

I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence, but it seems like when this went live is the same point I can no longer see the purple activity lines on my Lifemap or cities. I was able to see my Lifemap after my run on Sunday, but not since then. I’m user 7749

Working now. Thank you!

1 Like

same or similar issues Adam C - CityStrides.

enjoying city strides btw, thanks!

Same issue - user 10781

I am having the same issue too, my user is 12647

Thank you!

Still having the same issue - 8432

I am a relatively new user and I am now experiencing the same problem with a blank Lifemap. It was working until I connected Runkeeper and Mapmyrun, which have older runs and probably some bad data. User ID: 10179.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Shiloh

My purple lines are missing now also!

Strangely, they were working earlier after I completed my run and synced, but now they’ve disappeared.

My heat map is gone as well.

One more user with no purple lines in Life Map

Same here, my life map is blank - user 8412

Thanks!

Happened again after another activity!

Seems to be happening after every new activity lately. Happened again today!

I’m not seeing my purple activity lines, either.

use ID # 7493

[update: I see them now.]

I want to provide a quick update on this (ongoing?) issue…

I’ve made a number of changes in the last week, last night, and today that I hope will go far in working towards a full fix.

The system is much more careful about queuing up map data jobs if there’s already something running/queued. I think this will help avoid some file clobbering that may have been happening, but I have some slight concern for the situation where someone uploads multiple activities at once (or very fast) - I think this could result in the LifeMap being updated for the first activity but for subsequent activities. I don’t think it’s very common for this to happen, though.

I’ve had to do some :nerd_face: operating system tweaks to account for the fact that there are hundreds of these map data files being served. I think my recent changes will help avoid some OS-level errors that could have been happening.

I increased the size of the map data server, after noticing some out-of-memory errors hidden away in logs. This was just done last night, but I’ve already noticed a significant difference in memory/swap usage.

Related to that, I noticed that my code was not closing the database files after the query was complete. :man_facepalming: It’s doing that now. :grimacing:

Finally, I’ve switched the underlying package I was using to work with these database files to one that claims to be 10x faster. :rocket:

This is one of the most important issues going on in CityStrides right now, and I’m hopeful that my recent work will help to resolve it. :crossed_fingers: I’m really bummed that this huge improvement to the LifeMap has been overshadowed by all the breaking maps. Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Let’s continue this thread as-is … Please let me know if the LifeMap breaks for you again.

1 Like

I was referred to this thread, but I think a similar but different (?) issue.

I go to my profile, scroll down, click on a city, and there is not even a street map to view. Other than that, I can view my life map just fine. I can’t locate streets I haven’t ran. This has been happening for about a week, now.

Same here.