Profile Picture

I wanted to be sure that the photo update code was working, so I manually updated your account.

For anyone else reading along / reference in the future:
CityStrides takes the image from the activity tracking service that you connected first.
Everyone’s photo is updated once per month, so it’s just a waiting game for photo changes in your activity tracker to make it into CityStrides.

2 Likes

Ah you will find many other discussions on this. You can mark it manually complete and update Open Street Maps (OSM) to make that road private so that when James updates the maps again it will disappear as a road (or the nodes you need to do) from the city. I havent updates OSM myself yet for some of the roads I had to manually complete but ideally I would at some point for future Striders.

Thank you!

I’m having a similar issue where my picture won’t sync, could you please force an update?

Hey, Ross.

@JamesChevalier will need link to your CS profile page to identify your account.

Also, currently there is not a way for CS to pull your Garmin profile pic, so if you are a garmin-only user, you won’t have a CS profile pic at this time

Happy Striding!

Hi there!
I am relatively new to citystrides and I too am having an issue getting my profile picture to upload. It’s just a generic citystrides picture. I have a picture on both strava and garmin. Is there a way to fix this?
Thank you!
Heather

Garmin sends me very little information, and a profile picture isn’t on the list. :frowning:
I’ve got the Strava picture updates paused because of their low API limits (those are each 1 call).

Related, I notice a lot of photos are ultimately sourced from Facebook. I don’t like that CityStrides calls out to them (this is the last connection to FB that I haven’t removed yet).

I’m a little wary of it, but I’m considering replacing the existing profile photo setup with a manual file upload.

5 Likes

I used to see my profile picture, which was the one taken from Strava. I later switched to Garmin synching and the Strava picture remained. However, the picture has now gone and I see the default image. I didn’t change anything and the picture had persisted for some time since my Strava synch was paused.

1 Like

I just noticed this too (no picture - I was on my phone using Firefox). Same scenario as you @xenospam.

PS. Not a big deal to me, just thought I’d chime in.

@JamesChevalier So with recent change to not pull in pic from Strava and me switching to Garmin, I still don’t see my Garmin profile picture on the CS main page.

So maybe it just hasn’t happened yet?

I may have jumped the (starting) gun, but I just added this to the ideas section: Bring back profile picture for CS pages

My Garmin pic is different from my Strava pic.

The Garmin sync does not include profile pictures, so there is no way for @JamesChevalier to use it to pull it to CS.

I wonder if he is considering a CS-based upload option, but I also wonder the “costs” of doing so…

Thanks @jpbari. I just can’t stop wondering why we have a pic in the forums, but not on our CS page. [I wonder why] Couldn’t one use the other?

The profile pic on the forums is a built-in feature of the Discourse message board service @JamesChevalier uses.

Not everyone is required to have a forums login, and I am not sure if that data is accessible by anything outside of the message board environment (privacy issues being what they are)

1 Like

Ah, got it. Thank you. Since users can upload pictures to the community section, I wonder if the main site could link to a picture uploaded to the community? Might be a quick workaround.

Did this ever get sorted? I been paying my subs monthly, but still no photo has appeared from Runkeeper ….

The current avatar for the CS main site comes from a service called Gravatar.

For more info on that , or to vote to get more support for a locally-hosted avatar on the main site, go to this thread:

1 Like

Hey James,

My profile picture from Garmin has never been pulled into CityStrides. I would love for this feature to work on my profile. I opened my Garmin profile and re-saved it this evening to see if that works.

Greg

Unfortunately, your profile picture is not one of the items that Garmin shares through the synchronization @JamesChevalier does. Garmin doesn’t provide that information.

For the main site, right now the method of getting an avatar is Gravatar

For the forums, you go to your account settings and upload one there.

A local-to-CS option may be in the future but it is just and idea right now.

1 Like

Hi James,
My profile picture used in CityStrides, is not the one I use in Strava. Although my Strava is connected with CityStrides. I really would like to change the picture, because now it is a profile picture from an emailadress of the band I used to play in. This emailadress is not used for Strava.
How can I change the profile picture to my Strava picture?
My userID: 29480

For now, head over to https://citystrides.com/settings and update your email address. That’ll adjust how it’s pulling from Gravatar.

I really need to update this avatar trash :grimacing: :sweat_smile: sorry

1 Like