Map Issues

I’m definitely learning that from everyone’s replies here & in email support! :sweat_smile:
I’ve got a fix that’ll go in the next release to automatically show your LifeMap on city pages (and hide it when you transition away e.g. to a street page).

2 Likes

The profile is Jennifer Mann - CityStrides
I do not see a map type icon in the upper left (or right)?? I’m not sure how to toggle life map on and off, but a restart of Citystrides or my computer doesn’t change the issue with the border map of Berkeley being completely empty. I am a paying subscriber so I should see that icon? I’ve been known to miss things that are right in front of me.

This problem started while I was on a walk, probably when you were doing the 1/10 update.

I’ll try restarting my computer again. I haven’t restarted since yesterday.

(re-posting with less personal data in the screenshot - sorry about that!)

The LifeMap toggle button is the one with the arrow pointed at it. All three buttons are only shown to supporters.
You are a supporter, so you should see all three buttons. Clicking the top one should toggle your LifeMap on/off (I’ve seen the first click take a few seconds).

life map in the city map is defaulting to hidden right now. turn it back on here

It’s fixed. I restarted and the map icon showed up. I swear it wasn’t there before, I just had the taskbar on the right. But, one can never be sure with me. I posted this in a reply but couldn’t find my original thread.

Thank you so much!
Jennifer Mann
80% of my city is complete!!!

2 Likes

beat me to it by mere seconds

champ

1 Like

So I guess in the near future the easy solution from a user point of view is to become a supporter? Ok then done as of last night. Everything worked just as it should for me today!

I have another issue with the map, but maybe it is due to the same update?

None of the red nodes will show in any of my maps. Not on my routes, not in a city and not in the life map.

I can see my streets, just not the nodes, no matter how much I click on the search icon.

(I am an supporter)

1 Like

Lanka, I think the node hunter is broken at the moment. I discovered this problem this morning and there’s now a separate thread about that.
Catriona

Hey Catriona,

Yes, I noticed that after I wrote her. Thank you! I am glad to hear that at least it is not only me that has the problem.

I hope I will survive :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I hope this message finds you alive :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Node Hunter has been fixed

1 Like

Not sure if this is related to the recent update, but my Lifemap (as of this morning) only shows progress from February 2021 and further back in time, even though my lifetime streets and individual city progress is up to date as of this morning. I don’t think I have a toggle to turn the Lifemap off in city view either, so I’m not sure what is going on…thanks for investigating.

I’m going to have to look into this further - your LifeMap (it isn’t happening for other accounts) is initially shown to me and then hidden. :sweat:

You could try going to https://citystrides.com/settings and clicking the button to clear your browser data.

I’ll let you know when I learn more…

I tried your recommended browser data clearing, and it appears that makes no difference. Thanks for the suggestion and prompt service!

Whatever changed in the last few hours, it is back to normal and functioning correctly as far as I can tell. Thanks for the problem solving!

Alright, I’ve got your map working for me & I think I’m seeing the trouble.

You run too much.

:laughing: I’m joking, but it’s also true from a data perspective - your map takes a very long time to show up on my laptop. It does eventually appear, though. The screenshot below is from Jonathan Moody's Map View - CityStrides

This is a bit of a known issue (search “too much data” here in the forum for other instances) where some devices can’t keep up with so much data being displayed on maps. It’s what prompted me to build out the advanced LifeMap that subscribers get access to (I have to put it behind a subscription because it costs me extra :moneybag: to store that data).

I usually see this show up as the whole map entirely crashing, so the fact that yours loads some data is interesting/hopeful. Just in case Mapbox changed their code to gracefully handle this situation, I’ve edited the way the non-subscriber LifeMap is built so that you should only see your newer activities.

You just replied saying that it’s fixed for you :thinking: I’m going to leave the change I described (which I have not released yet) just in case it helps.

I’m having a problem viewing any map on my Windows 10 Laptop with Chrome Browser. Except for the top banner and the off-white background nothing is loading, not even the buttons.

Everything works fine in the Edge Browser as well as in the Chrome browser on my Android device, so I assume the problems are on my end. Until now everything was working in Chrome - this is the first time I’m encountering the issue. OpenStreetMap.org and google maps are showing normally.

All software is up to date. I’ve tried a hard refresh (shift F5) and deleting cookies (first one by one to find a culprit, later also all of them together), accessing different pages with maps, but the issue remains.

Anyone encountered something similar or has an idea? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like there’s a javascript error that’s happening early on in the page load.
Control+Shift+J will open the browser’s console (the first 6 steps in https://www.webucator.com/article/how-to-open-google-chromes-javascript-console/ are also helpful/relevant) - if you do that then refresh the page, I’m expecting you’ll see a bunch of red text. That could give me some clues.

1 Like

I think the Time Filter button got removed from the city page at the last update. I can see that button on my Lifemap page but would be nice if it could also be available (again) on the city page. BTW, I am a supporter.