Incomplete streets marked as complete (not the 90% issue)

Some have rightly complained in https://community.citystrides.com/t/all-nodes-green-but-street-not-complete/21781/29 that some complete streets are not marked as complete but as far as I know, nobody has posted yet about incomplete streets (less than 90% of nodes) that are marked as complete.

Why is it a problem since you get credit for a street without much effort?
You may believe that you have completed a neighborhood but sooner or later, the bug will be fixed, and you may have to come back for just one street or two. And even if you are aware of the bug, the red nodes are not showed anymore with the node hunter, and it makes striding more difficult, especially in large cities.

I suspect that this bug happens because the completion is not re-checked when new nodes appear (thus changing the percentage of completion). I donā€™t know whether @JamesChevalierā€™s corrections from the last days already deal with those situations. I hope so, and in this case, there is no to do, but after running almost 20 streets today that were wrongly marked as complete before my run (mix of the this bu and https://community.citystrides.com/t/user-setting-hard-mode/17458/12, I decided to make my finding official.

1. Streets that were excluded in CityStrides until last update because of the tag highway=track (Should "highway=track" records exist in CityStrides?):

My percentage: 25%.

1. Streets with new nodes (often large streets with nodes on each side, or phantom nodes mentioned in another recent thread):

My percentage: 54%.

1. Combination of https://community.citystrides.com/t/should-highway-track-records-exist-in-citystrides/21718 and https://community.citystrides.com/t/count-every-street-in-a-city-when-2-or-more-share-the-same-name/21436:

My percentage: 2%

Am I the only one with this problem?
@JamesChevalier: What do you think?

I make my profile public so as to appear in the list of striders, but for privacy reasons, I will only stay public for 24 hours. Sorry for this.

@JamesChevalier,

Paris was updated today (2021/02/25). I still have 2 ā€œcompleteā€ streets there with respectively 25% and 50% of the nodes complete. These 2 streets should be incomplete, what they are not.

My interpretation is that the issue has not been solved by the multiple updates in the last weeks, and even if most striders do not invest any time to check this kind of things, it is a serious bug.

Keep on the good work!

Thanks for your patience :sweat_smile:

Yeah it looks like nodes are being added to streets, and anyone who has already completed the streets is left as complete.

This is something that Iā€™ll have to look at separately from any of the other city update issues (which I think Iā€™ve resolved). Thanks for reporting this!

1 Like

I just found that this street Karolinska vƤgen Karolinska vƤgen in Solna kommun, Stockholms lƤn - CityStrides
itā€™s listed as Complete, but when I look at the details Iā€™m only at 77%. How can that be?

I have a to-do/bug-report in my list:

When new nodes are created, the street needs to be recalculated for anyone who has completed it

Iā€™m thinking that you did complete the street in Hans Westerback's activity on February 21, 2019 - CityStrides but then more nodes were added to the street, and your ā€œcompletedā€ status remains.

1 Like

If whatā€™s shown in CS is not correct, I think we can all agree thatā€™s a problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep :point_up: two posts up - this is being taken Very Seriouslyā„¢ and is of High Importanceā„¢ and We Have Our Best Minds On Itā„¢ (wellā€¦) :smiley:

2 Likes

I have something that will address this going out in the next release.
Thereā€™s new code at the point of adding new nodes to existing streets. It kicks off a new set of jobs that will check whether the street is still completed (for anyone who has already completed it) & if itā€™s not then itā€™ll unmark it. If it happens out that youā€™ve already completed the node that was added, the existing system will pick that up & re-mark the street as completed.

It wonā€™t address existing streets that are improperly marked as complete - Iā€™ll need to manually start that for people (unless I happen to think of a safe way to look through everyoneā€™s data).

Iā€™ll post again here after itā€™s out & Iā€™ve reprocessed your accounts.

// @hans1

3 Likes

OK, the latest release - which includes a fix for this - is out now: Updates on April 30, 2021 (Release 88)

Iā€™ll reprocess your accounts as soon as I can.

Today I noticed a similar thing.
A street was marked as completed after my run today while I have not run a section.
However the part I completed today probably contained a lot of nodes. So maybe Iā€™m above the 90% that Denis mentioned.

The thing is that if I show the street, you still see red nodes.
However I can only find the street in ā€œcompletedā€ streets, not in ā€œincomplete streetsā€.

I would prefer a street is only marked as complete if all nodes were tackled. Or is that not the way it works?

The default ā€˜ruleā€™ is completing 90% of a streetā€™s nodes will mark that street as complete. If you want to operate on a 100% ā€˜ruleā€™ then it sounds like you want to enable hard mode: User Setting: Hard Mode

Thanks for the quick response.
I guess that is only for supporters since I donā€™t see the optionā€¦

In some rare cases, the issue remains. This street is marked as completed in the nested city after multiple updates while I only have 89% (and hard mode enabled). It is marked as incomplete in the parent city.

My current guess is that the street is previously completed ā€¦ a city update runs that adds nodes to the street ā€¦ and my code does not look to see if any streets should be un-marked as complete. Iā€™ll put that on my to-do list.

I searched around for Grenzweg (sharing links makes debugging much much easier for me) and found that it had 23 new nodes created in the March update. That seems to fall in line with my guess.

Manually running the street validation code correctly un-marked it as complete, so I queued up that job for all your streets.

Hi @JamesChevalier , Hereā€™s another effect of that same issue, I think.
The street shows as incomplete in my city view but it doesnā€™t affect my 100% completion of the city.
Itā€™s amusing to see Iā€™m in second place now for the city while it shows I have 100%.
Kransackerweg - CityStrides
To solve it I think I could mark and unmark complete manually. But I didnā€™t, just to show you this.

Thanks James.
For 10 says, nothing happened, but last night, I lost 100% completion in 6 proper cities and 1 nested city within a few hours. :sweat_smile: 2 more nested cities will follow since there are now new nodes in the parent city.
Some were normal updates but in most cases, the now incomplete streets were not updated so I guess it has to do with the re-processing.

I have already caught 4 streets today and I have planned 6 new runs with the route builder to get the rest until the end of June.

Did you previously have this street in your completed list?
Iā€™m trying to figure out if it was previously complete & updated to make it incomplete (e.g. more nodes added that you havenā€™t run by) ā€¦ or if itā€™s a new street that went directly to your incomplete list (this looks like it is the case, but Iā€™d like to be certain).

At first I thought that nodes where added, because Iā€™ve already ran part of this street.
But indeed, it turns out this is a newly added street.
Latest CS city update of the fifth of May.

Alright, Iā€™ve got code in there now that will recalculate city progress when adding new streets ā€¦ then recalculate progress again after the new nodes are added & processed. So during the city update, percentages may fluctuate. Iā€™m really hoping that this isnā€™t noticeable since the updates are running pretty fast now.

@dbafounta Iā€™m unsure if youā€™re reporting further issues with streets being marked as incomplete even though they are complete ā€¦ or if youā€™re just noting that the updates are adding to areas where you havenā€™t run yet.