How far do you live from your closest unfinished street?

Getting harder and harder for me to do a low mileage CityStrides run from my front door. Messing around with the Route Builder tool, I have measured the closest unfinished streets from me to be a minimum 8 km / 5 mi just to get to the first node…and all the ones by the river to my west are extremely hilly!

4 Likes

About 10 km for me, I live on an island so have to cross the bridge first. I live at the X on the upper right

5 Likes

Have finished 4 cities.

Currently running Copenhagen, 40% complete.
My Copenhagen CityStrides

Closest street is 10 km.
But i will have to go 23 km to finish the last streets

5 Likes

Living in a rural/suburban area I sometimes have to switch to getting new purple lines instead of just completing nodes…

The closest street with uncompleted nodes to my house is 9.5 miles one way (and that is driving, running would be longer due to non-optimal streets.)

I have finished 11 small cities in my area and am 3 nodes away on one more(those nodes are 12.5miles from my house.)

The closest unrun bit of pavement from my house is a county road without nodes and is 4 miles one way on foot (there are closer streets as the crow flies, but there is a river in the way :wink:)

4 Likes

I am about 2.3 miles from my closest node.

That closer-to-the-center, larger cluster is a cemetery which does not allow running.

2 Likes

It’s crazy to see the nice grids of y’alls’ maps of gridded cities or compared to mine in central Portugal. Like @jpbari I also ran to add more purple lines to the map after finishing all nodes within a certain radius, but I ran out of paved roads and have been exploring the rocky, eroded, sometimes overgrown forest roads (‘unmaintained track roads’). When I do runs like those, I call it TrailSploring instead of CityStriding :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

There was an extension of the North Country Trail made this past weekend near my house, moving several miles of road routing into a park and state forest lands.

As we ran down that trail on its first day open I was like “Oooh, a new purple line!”

2 Likes

My long weekend runs (typically about 10-12 miles these day) are rarely “quest for nodes” runs, because on those I’d rather zone out and enjoy the scenery, rather than make sure I am zigzagging down the correct streets. But you can see that I have occasional “just make a new purple line” runs. (The disconnected line at the bottom is the B.A.A. Half Marathon.)

4 Likes

Huh. Closest node is actually just about 4 miles away, but it isn’t in Rhode Island, so…

13 Likes

I don’t care how small of a state it is - that’s impressive as hell. Love the runs along the state lines!

4 Likes

Are you legally forbidden from leaving Rhode Island? :grinning:

Seriously, though, that is impressive and visually cool.

2 Likes

I am at my 11th city, i need to drive by car to finish them nowadays. after next week i start on city nr 12 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am contemplating to use the countryborders as my next goal, but i am hesitating, since it’s so much driving. But it’s addictive…

2 Likes

Get a bike and turn every outing into an inverted Duathlon - Wikipedia? :laughing:

8 Likes

I love how this and the leaderboards thread is bringing out the elite striders. Great maps, thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Thanks! Honestly, to help make a neat looking map, I’ve deleted strava runs that stray way out into MA.

Runs that start in other states get to stay!

2 Likes

Thanks man! My favorite part of this bucket list game was being lost in the woods and finding some of the most beautiful and unexpected scenery. Good runs.

2 Likes

That reminds me of an idea I keep forgetting to pitch about how paid users should be able to pick a custom color palette for individual runs on their lifemaps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow. That is very cool. Nice job!

1 Like

I’ve got about 5k to my nearest node. I felt like a caged animal in recent months (regardless of Covid) while I was trying to finish Richmond (London, UK). Now I’ve got to decide which of the 5 adjacent Boroughs to head to: Spelthorne, Hounslow, Hammersmith, Kingston, Elmbridge. I think I’ll let it grow organically for a while (as they’re each 1000-1500 streets) and there are a few areas I’d like to explore, rather than getting dizzy doubling back on dead-end streets!

4 Likes