Hard Mode questions and issues

Yes, only for supporters

1 Like

I had a bug that wouldnā€™t allow that (extra hard mode?) but the next release will fix that. In the meantime, I queued up your account for a reprocess which will fix it - this may take some hours, given the background job queue right now.

1 Like

I totally agree with your points @dbafounta. I am still very new and only lost about 75 streets and 4 cities but I prefer Hard Mode to reveal the missing nodes. I am a fan and also thank @JamesChevalier for the solution.

My issue is that I have not always been careful to note whether ends of streets were unwalkable versus just didnā€™t finish it. I was driving by one of them yesterday and drove up to assess when an older gentleman flagged me down. After his familiar question ā€œCan I help you?ā€ and I was bracing to apologize for making him uncomfortable, he waved my excuses aside and launched into a history lesson of the area for the past 70 years! It was pretty interesting actually! You never know.

3 Likes

WOW This is a brave new world. In reading over this thread, Iā€™ve had a few things answered, but there are a couple that remain, and they are related to the ā€œRulesā€ of hard mode.

Do the streets/nodes that count towards Hard Mode shift? i.e. service streets can now count?

The streets/nodes that have reappeared under Hard Mode fall into:

1. Streets that are marked at ā€œserviceā€ streets in OSM. Does Hard Mode mean getting the service streets as well? That may be a challenge as some of these I canā€™t get to without trespassing.

2. GPS issues where my watch signal is outside the node.

3. Streets that need to be edited to be service streets, not residential.

#2 is clearly my problem, #3 is a matter of diligent OSM maintenance, but #1 is the largest set of nodes. That might be a deal breaker for me Goinā€™ Hard. :rofl:

As I write this (10/28) the two cities - Bellevue, WA was updated 2022-08-25 and Kirkland was updated 2022-09-08. Iā€™m not sure how that would change the service street challenge though.

No, the streets/nodes donā€™t change. The only thing that changes is that you have to complete every node to mark a street as complete.

The underlying Overpass query - the thing that pulls in the city/street/node data from OpenStreetMap - has not changed. If youā€™re seeing private or not-actually-street stuff in CityStrides, itā€™s because of bad data in OpenStreetMap. If those were marked as complete outside of hard mode then you probably either 90% completed them or you marked them as manually complete.
Overall, sounds like they need to be updated in OpenStreetMap.

Gotcha. I think I have most of them updated in OSM, so Iā€™ll revisit the thread after the next OSM/CityStrides sync if the issue persists. I appreciate your help @JamesChevalier!

Thank you for all the above info. Iā€™ve been debating flipping hard mode on, because I basically do hard mode on my own, and am envious of the ā€œHard Modeā€ next to oneā€™s nameā€¦ But decided not to based on all the reprocessing.

I think until the overpass issues become more stable, I resist the temptation to turn on hard mode.

Okay, so fearing that the question has already been answered (though Iā€™ve read all replies), here goes:

I just switched to hard mode, since I definitely think that is the true way to go about this, and Iā€™d much rather edit private/unaccessible roads in OSM rather than manually mark them as complete.

Now after activating it yesterday, I see that my completed streets went down by about 170 (about 13 %), and using the node hunter I now see numerous red nodes pop up that definitely didnā€™t show up yesterday. How come? In my time on CityStrides (about half a year) Iā€™ve only ever manually completed one single street. It was my impression that this was the only thing that hard mode had an influence on, so where do the remaining changes come from? Since this happened within the span of ~24 hours, surely itā€™s not OSM edits kicking in? Does hard mode have an effect on the size of the ā€œtrailā€ that the GPS track leaves, for instance?

The primary thing Hard Mode does is this:

Standard CS ā€œcompletionā€ requires that your GPS track cross 90% of the nodes on a street for it to be considered done. Hard mode takes that 90% and changes it to 100%.

Under normal mode, when a street is complete, it no longer shows you the nodes you havenā€™t crossed if the street is considered complete. What this means is all those red nodes you are seeing, and the 170 streets you no longer have are streets where you had completed more than 90% of the nodes, but less than 100%

5 Likes

How big a drop have people generally seen when making the change?

I went from 3803 to 3689, a drop of 3%

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t thinking and didnā€™t compare my total street count before/after, but I did lose 100% on 4 of my cities.

Each was a half-dozen or less, but on those cities I really worked hard to make sure my purple lines gave me full coverage of the map.

2 Likes

I give you guys props. I would be spending more time updating OpenStreetMap than I would be running.

5 Likes

Yep, all of the missing nodes so far are have been fixes to OSM, just waiting on @JamesChevalier to process them again :rofl:

1 Like

Ken, can I send you all my manual completions for you to update for me haha.

I am a OSM editor addict, so if you feed me the changes bit by bit, i could work on that. (I hope itā€™s in the hundreds)

2 Likes

I still think it would be cool to have a way to feed these into a maproulette challenge to match required OSM fixes with willing mappers more systematically. :thinking:

5 Likes

Ah, I didnā€™t know about the 90% thing. That explains it, thanks!

I saw a 13% decrease when switching.

1 Like

I feel I may be missing something here, but after a little bit of searching I thought Iā€™d ask here. Iā€™m not seeing the hard mode selection in my settings. What am I missing/doing wrong? Thanks!

Are you a paying Supporter? Otherwise you canā€™t set Hard mode

2 Likes