Export Run - Street Statistics?

Hm. I’ve since fixed that duplicate activity issue, by ignoring activities that have the exact same start time.
It might be better to de-duplicate these activities. :thinking:

1 Like

Hi,
Very cool!
But number of streets displayed in charts seems to be total of street of city and nested city.
For march, it’s displayed 741 streets but it’s officialy 370 streets for Quebec city.

Marjorie

2 Likes

Nice graph, I like it. Possible ideas:

• add number of runs as a metric
  • add a toggle to show cumulative values
1 Like

I am pretty excited by this functionality! I’ll keep playing around with it. I will say that on first glance, I would probably never use the group by day function. That appears too granular for this view.

would much sooner see this chart than the ‘most completed lists’. As much as I respect what other people have done, I’d much sooner see my own data on my homepage

1 Like

Ooh, thanks! That’ll be fixed up in the next release.

I did have this in my early development, because @feldpauschmkr had it in their spreadsheet … I removed it because I rarely have 2 activities in one day, so that ended up being a weird flat line for me. I do wonder how many people have multiple activities per day, in a way that would be useful to graph them by default (vs if I can figure out a way to add the data to the legend but have it default to hidden).

heh, this is actually the first way I graphed all the data - where the completed street line would continuously increase over time. I noticed, partway through development, that the example I was working off wasn’t displaying the data that way so I switched it. I’ll play around with ways to add the ability to toggle between the two views.

Yeah, it’s probably ok if you’re just looking at a week’s worth of data … but once you get out past a month it’s gnarly … it might be better suited to a bar chart, but my tests with that ended up having razor thin bars which were terrible to interact with.

A really important thing, for anyone who uses their own spreadsheet/charting approaches outside of CityStrides, is to look at this chart from the perspective of “does this negate the need for me to manually build my own stuff outside of CityStrides?” … My entire goal is to reduce the amount of effort that you need to put into achieving your goal(s). I’m aiming 100% for everyone to have the ability to go to the homepage and get all the info they need - from the perspective of this dashboard/charting requirement.

1 Like

I used to maintain a spreadsheet to keep track of my progress, but specific to one city since that’s what my project is. A possible option for an additional filter?

In addition to the km and streets, I also had the percentage completed for the city on my chart. I also used my progress to make projections as to when I would hit certain milestones (“if I bag streets at the same rate as this month, I will hit xx% completion in May 2022”).

I think it’s just completed streets that would make sense to put on a city-specific chart. Am I missing other opportunities?
:thinking: Although, I might be able to do some wild db queries to collect your distance within a city…

Was that charted out as well, so you could see you were e.g. 5% on 1/1/2020 and 50% on 12/1/2020?

Did you have a specific list of milestones? Were those displayed a certain way?
If the chart was city-specific, it would be cool to display a projected completion date. I’m unsure how specific the milestones might have to drill down - every 5% / 10% / 25% / 50% - and how that might be usefully displayed…

1 Like

The chart looks like this: blue is city completion (left scale), grey is streets completed (right scale):

I had the milestones as a kind of dashboard above the chart, along with the number of activities and average streets per activity. I used completion percentages in increments of 10 for the milestones, showing streets required to achieve and the estimated date, but what is most suitable probably depends on the size of the city and personal preference… Definitely many ways to show this data, curious to see what others have come up with :slightly_smiling_face: .

1 Like

I have no idea if or how this would work, but it’d be so cool to see miles run in a city/admin area, and/or what % of a city we’ve run on mileage rather than streets. Former may be more feasible than the latter

Updates on April 23, 2021 (Release 84) I moved the chart to the homepage, added activity count as a metric, and was able to include a ‘cumulative’ toggle. The street count now respects nested cities, so that should be accurate now. ( @r.weide @3d77eb7f476ad71e3f37 )

Still on my list:

• percent complete of city
  • de-duplicate distance for those who have duplicate activities across tracking services (a bug I’ve since fixed)
  • a view of per-city metrics; unsure if this will be shoved into the existing chart or if I’ll add a second chart that shows this city-specific data
  • projections
2 Likes

Love the update, will be visiting the home page more often now. One note - the challenges appear out of order on my page, which go April, June, May, July (all 2020), and then proceed in chronological order. Might be more intuitive to order in reverse chronology (most recent first), and also possibly have the rank next to the streets? ie:
April Absurdity (Xth place of Y Challengers)______________N Streets

This would be especially cool to see how you’re doing in an active challenge, in case you are the competitive type and seeing your live rank has you sensing glory…not that I’d know anything about that.

:man_facepalming:
I can apply an order to these. I also intended it to only display active challenges, so I’ll update that as well.

Update: Alright, the homepage will now only display active challenges sorted by their start time.

I like all the new stats on the home page! Question: where are regions defined? I see that I’ve run in 3 regions but can’t see what they are. I have my suspicions but don’t know how to verify.

They’re easiest to see from your profile page. The cities you’re running in are listed in the format:
“City Name, Region Name”
If you click through to a city page, its region name is a link out to that Region page.

I too really like the new home page.

For the regions, countries and cities, it would be really nice if you could click on that number and then it would expand to show the entire list.

Even better would be if for the countries you could get a map of the world with the countries you have run coloured in. You could do the same for the regions inside each country. It could start with a world map then if you click on an individual country, it could zoom to just that country and show the regions you have run coloured in. Although I understand this is asking a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, okay. So in the USA, regions are states? That makes perfect sense even if it’s not quite what I had suspected. Always nice to know reality :upside_down_face:

Yeah, I had to come up with some global name for that level of area :sweat_smile: there are so many different ways that countries refer to it!

standards

5 Likes

By this do you mean a graph (and/or data table) which would show how many miles/kilometres I’ve run in each City? That would be really good as people often ask how far I’ve run, now I’m getting closer to completing my first city.
I don’t know how you’d choose to count runs which cross a city border. I’m sure there’ll be several different options [a) log it in the city where it starts; b) log it in the city with the greatest proportion of the run; c) split it per city along the route] but I’d guess that the variance will be slim either way and we’ll all be greatful for whichever you choose!

I’d love to provide this level of detail, but my initial test resulted in a very expensive database query. I need to look into it more…

Yeah, that’s another hurdle. My initial test went with counting “if any part of the activity is within the border” but there is an option to count “if ALL of the activity is within the border” & potentially an option for “activities where ALL of it is within the border and sections of activities that are within the border” (so if you did 1 mile/kilometer in cityA and 1m/km in cityB, each city stat would get 1m/km)
Again, though, with my current knowledge someone’s gonna have to back a truck of money into my driveway to accomplish these queries at the 34k user scale. :sweat_smile: I’m relentless, though, so it’s entirely possible I figure out a way to make it happen. :muscle:

1 Like