Ability to clean/correct/snap activity paths?

Love the discussion on this and maybe I was misunderstanding what this would be - from the title here ‘Ability to…’ I was understanding it could be optionally used on a problematic run or trace, and not an automatic step that would occur on all runs imported to CS. For instance even with the maps I showed above I would ‘clean’ my trace for maybe ~5% of those runs, mainly the ones that drifted into the river or made me miss nodes, etc.

Yeah, that was my intention. Kind of a “if you really feel like you need to edit this activity, ok, you can manually adjust the traced path & also have this ‘auto-snap’ at your disposal” approach.

Overall, I’m not seeing a lot of interest in this idea - it might be because a limited amount of people are affected by bad GPS, though. The conversation has been really helpful so far, though - thanks everyone!

2 Likes

It also caused me to try loading an ~11 mi .gpx into runkeeper to mess around with the ‘snap to street’ function, but couldn’t get it to work well, the page kept crashing and the lines appeared to go everywhere when it didn’t. Does anyone else use this/does it work well?

Have just one badly traced run, so just thinking of re-running it

Yes runkeeper functionallity, it used to be a real saver for squiggly gpx traces. Nowadays i use another tool when i need it occasionally. For instance that first run in 2021 where garmin messed up

For me, I don’t need the auto snapping option. However, it would be very useful to be able to make small edits to runs to fix obvious errors on my lifemap. This could be either trimming off the start or end of a run, or removing a few bad data points from a run.

For example, sometimes on a run I get a random gps point or two some distance away from where I am running, and then then it returns to the correct location. Just like the run that goes out into the water in Kevin’s picture above. The rest of the run is fine but there is an annoying mistake on my lifemap.

2 Likes

If you have Garmin you can trim the start or end of an activty on Garmin Connect, and same in Strava. The problem is when it occurs in the middle of a run, as that lap in the Charles River did! No way to excise an error and stitch the two parts together, at least not without more advanced gpx editing tools.

But if you trim the activity, and it has already been processed in CS, will it be re-calculated to reflect the change?

Only if you delete it in CityStrides and then re-sync it.

Here’s today’s quintessential wish-I-could-clean-this-trace-up, a trail in a distant and very hilly part of the forest park where the GPS was noisy and way off. Will need to re-run this trail :scream:

1 Like

Just a heads-up, there seems to be a repeat of the early Jan tracking issues with some devices: Tech Tidbits: Garmin GPS Offsets Again and PowerTap Units Discontinued | DC Rainmaker. I had two that were basically unrecognisable this week :unamused:

1 Like

I correct some activities where the GPS was seriously upset:

1. Click on erroneous line in lifemap
  2. Click on Strava logo to go to that activity on Strava
  3. Download GPX from Strava
  4. Upload GPX as activity on Runkeeper
  5. Edit activity on Runkeeper, with Snap to Roads enabled
  6. Download GPX from Runkeeper
  7. Delete activity from CityStrides & Strava
  8. Upload GPX as an activity on Strava
  9. Queue sync for specific activity (in CityStrides settings)

Takes a while to see the results on Citystrides, but it works!

2 Likes

Yes, that is a good way of correcting erronous gpx tracks. I stopped using runkeeper, since the snap to road feature was not working really well. Each zoomchange of the map, or each repositioning of the track takes AGES to refresh.

So now i am using similar approach to change the wildy wrong gps from the gamrin 2021 error from last months first run of the year. But instead of runkeeper i use the freeware app from viking. works quite good also.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: How to resend edited activities

Cheers. Didn’t know that was a feature of Runkeeper. I’ve got one Citystrides run that needs fixing, so will give your suggestion a try

Success! Took me all day, mostly due to how laggy the Runkeeper gpx editing tool is, but a great learning process :sunglasses:

Thank you SO much! Corrected my dodgy run with this method. It was a bit fiddly and slow on Runkeeper but better than re-running that segment!:sunglasses::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

In my experience, runkeeper is fast enough in the am, but slows down in the pm, when America wakes up.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that workflow!
It’s interesting to see so many positive reactions to that, and not see much interest in having this feature built into CityStrides directly. :thinking:

1 Like

I think the lack of interest for this to be built in to Citystrides is because the vast majority of traces are OK. In my 100 runs so far in Citystrides only 1 is way off and that’s the first one I’ve had like that in over 10 years fo using GPS watches. So for me the Runkeeper edit routine was the solution, never likely to use it again for another 10 years