What do you wish you knew about CityStrides sooner?

Something about potential issues with OSM (inaccessible nodes) and methods of fixing (marking manually complete, learning how to edit OSM, or asking for editing help here in the forum)

The amazing value of route builder with the ability to create complex routes to complete many streets and the ability to load those routes into various watches or phone apps to provide turn by turn navigation of them.

How to view the progress of other striders for your cities in progress

2 Likes

I want to know points and ranking. I feel like you should get a multiplier for completing streets and cities similar to Ticket to Ride should get a point bonus

1 Like

Or a separate leaderboard for most cities completed, that’d be pretty cool.

2 Likes

How exhilarating Tres-mapping can be! :joy: :joy: A node is only private if you get caught!

4 Likes

As Richard Denis told me, It’s easier to apologise than ask permission to access private property nodes

2 Likes

I was trying to use this to track every street I’ve been down on my bike. I don’t really care about competing with anyone else but it hasn’t been tracking anything despite being connected with Strava. Guess I misunderstood what the app was for and I paid 5$ for the month to get the mapping to work for nothing.

If you’re feeling slighted, you could always upload your cycle activities to a secondary service and change them from bike to run, then they’ll appear in CityStrides. But there are also other ones like wandrer that automatically work with bike activities.

Even if it is technically possible to bring cycle activities into CS using this workaround, I hope it doesn’t become common, since it would seriously dent the integrity of leader-boards.
Cloning CS, maybe with a different colour, and launching a “citypedals” site could be a fairly easy way to give cyclists access?
@therealcjady out of curiosity, are you interested in cycling every street of your city, or are you after a way to map your cumulative riding? Or maybe something else even?

1 Like

Thats pretty rough.

Definitely! I emailed them privately to work out a refund.

1 Like

I was being sarcastic kind sir. You run a tight ship!

1 Like

Wandrer.earth allows you to track bike rides as well as activities on foot. I use that one also. It gives credit for new miles rather than by street name and also includes paths.

2 Likes

I would like to build my own parameters of an area — I attempted to run every street of an area I live in, but the program is trying to show me the entire city. Is there a way to narrow down the focus?

Just the idea of it, so far: Custom "city" areas … click the ‘vote’ button in that topic to show your interest & if you have more/other details that aren’t in the thread already, feel free to contribute.

1 Like

I wish I had realized that activities brought in from Garmin had a hard 5-yr cutoff and neither specific date requests older than 5yrs nor manual uploads are available. Does Strava sync have the same limitations? I’m not interested in the points and competition aspect of it; however I am interested in seeing select notable activities prior to 2019.

1 Like

No limitations on Strava
You can sync with an app like this one https://www.fitnesssyncer.com/

Apologies, I should clarify my question. I already have Garmin and Strava linked, so if I had chosen to sync CityStrides from Strava instead of Garmin, would it be limited to the past 5 yrs and no manual additions indirectly through Strava syncs? Perhaps it would have been more flexible to initially connect using Strava.

You can connect with multiple services and do history syncs, unless I’m mistaken. Maybe supporter-only features, I’m not sure!

By connecting Strava, it automatically starts a full history sync for your account. Since Strava does not have a 5 year limitation, all of the data in that service will automatically sync into CityStrides.
If you have data in Strava that’s not present in CityStrides, you can share your profile link & I can do a full sync for you. Supporters have access to a “Sync Now” feature, which is primarily useful for Runkeeper since they do not notify of new activities.

For anyone reading along unaware of the feature - You can visit the Activity Trackers section of your Settings page to add/remove services & pause/unpause them.

A post was split to a new topic: Safe to delete tracking account?