Walks being shown on map

I am trying to RUN all the streets in my community, but my walking activities are also being shown on the map. Which, sort of defeats the purpose. Can you let me know if there is a way to address this? I am using Strava to upload to CityStrides. Thanks!

Currently, both walking and running activities are brought into CityStrides. That’s an intended feature.

I’ll figure out if it’s possible to have this configurable in Settings…

1 Like

Hmm ,now a few years into running cities here, it WOULD be interesting to see how my lifemap looks when no walks would be in there, I guess i need to run again here and there.:grinning:

Good point. There are two pieces to this:

• Display: showing/hiding running and walking activities on the map
  • Progress: counting only running/walking activities when determining street & city progression

There are a lot of similarities to another request that’s been going around for limiting activities against time (only this year, between two dates, etc).

Maybe in different colors? Would hiking be a third type?

Thank you, Eric

awakening the walk/run thread:

I don’t want to have walks mapping my streets completion. Would it be possible to have CS without walks?
One option for me is completely going to mapmyrun, since i only use it to upload the CS runs since a month now.
To get rid of the history of walks in CS, I needed to kill the Strava connection and transfer only my prefered runs I want to map on CS to mapmyrun.

What would be an argument to not kill strava and go all the way to mapmyrun? Would every street needed to be recalculated?

Is there another way to get rid of walks? i guess recalculating all history to exact the same result is quite heavy

I even could create a complete new user, only connecting to mapmyrun and have only dedicated runs there.

Thoughts anyone? @JamesChevalier?

On the other hand, I like the fact that City Strides has both walks and runs. I’m busy running the city I live in, but am also walking the city I work in at lunch time.

Two colors would be OK, but not deleting one activity.

As for hiking, the problem i have with that idea is that my hiking is not on roads but on trails. Unless and until City Strides adds trails to the site there’s no reason to worry about hikes. And given how many trails aren’t on Open Street Map, it’s going to be a while before we have trails.

2 Likes

I’m perfectly happy with the way things are. I admit it would be interesting to see how each trace was accomplished, i.e. walk, run, hike, etc. But I often run, and break down to a walk. However, my wife and I also walk, and we walk where nodes need to be collected. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess i shouldn’t have posted this here, my actual question is: can I change my upload connection completely to MMR and kill the connection to strava since I (and me personally) want a clean overview of my dedicated runs concerning citystrides.

Does this need complete recalculation of my complete histroy once i kill the strava part, or can i better start over with MMR as only source on a new account?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Add activity types to CityStrides

I would also love to be able to just include runs on CityStrides.

I can see two ways of achieving this:

1. Allow users to select which activity types are imported for them.

2. Add activity filters, so the various views in CityStrides could be filtered by activity type.

(Well, or option 3 - do both!)

Option 2 (or 3) would probably be preferable, as then on the striders list for a city, I could see where I rank on just runs, or just walks, amongst other striders. So I might say be number 1 strider for runs, but 83rd for walks. Such filters should probably be set at the top level, so you don’t have to keep re selecting them for each page, and so that the nice selected, the affect all pages you view.

Obviously no system that filtered between striders would be perfect, as there are deviants out there who tag walks on Strava as runs, but it would be an improvement over the current situation, and would at least allow me to view my own details based just on actual runs.

Without meaning to sound critical, what would people consider the criteria for RUN? I run parts of my Garmin walk activities, and certainly have been known to walk as much as the entirety of some run activities. If the suggestion to James is just amending the database query with a new GUI parameter to specify the type of activity that came into CS, I should certainly be counted as in favor of that idea. I don’t think it should be a profile setting that forever locks the user into being a RUN versus WALK person, but should be a dynamic tweak to whether or not the percentages shown or if the Lifemap displays RUN, WALK, or BOTH. One man’s humble opinion.

1 Like

What if a person sets any walk/run activity they don’t want uploaded to CityStrides to “Private”? Would that work?

My first thought, for not having something not be imported, would be to just use an activity that is not imported, i.e. “Other”, or “Windsurfing”, something that a user would recognize as “walks.”

as an FYI,

from: New garmin activity type not yet set up to import to CS? - #2 by JamesChevalier

so anything else, and CS won’t “see” it.

I think Private activities are also imported to CS

1 Like

This is what I did, I set all my walks on Strava to Skateboarding, so they wouldn’t import.

However, I would prefer there to be a way to achieve this without having to have bad data in Strava.

1 Like