Turn-by-turn navigation advice

JP, nice find on the new Garmin feature! Do you use Strava? If so, have you tried creating a route there to see if it appears on your watch?

Curious, do you have a 235? I do and having a hard time finding “courses” on my watch. Not having luck with YouTube video’s showing it either.

1 Like

OH and meant to add that I use Strava and the courses that I created in Strava do appear in Garmin Connect.

I just cannot locate them on my 235.

1 Like

I do use Strava, but haven’t used them for course creation yet. I remember trying to create routes in strava way back when and not liking the interface, may need to look it up again.

On my 920xt, I go into the menu and find the “navigation” item from the main menu and courses are in there. I will have to look at my wife’s 230 when she gets home to see where it might be on her watch (same software as the 235, just doesn’t have the HR sensor)

From Komoot, I am not even seeing them in my Garmin Connect, so they aren’t available for me to get on my watch until they are there.

OK. I now have a course in Strava and made sure course sync was turned on for both Strava and Komoot.

Strava course creation is WAY better than I remember it being.

Still nothing in Garmin yet, but maybe it is just that because it is a brand new API it is swamped by many many people trying to do the same thing I am.

OK, strava route synced. I had forgotten that I had read that you have to “Star” the course in strava to flag it for import by Garmin.

NICE!

If you find, I’d like to hear more. That’s my setup too. For now, I just print a paper map of my target area. :slight_smile:

Useful discussion, I end up stopping far too often and trying to plot the next few turns.

Can I hijack a little and ask what to me is a related question. Has anyone come across a good app/website for solving the ‘travelling salesman problem’, i.e. I want to run all the streets in an area, how can i do this and avoid running back on myself?

Some areas can be tricky to work out a route, for example this one:

Chris -

You aren’t alone wondering this.

There is a long thread trying to figure it out here.

2 Likes

backtracking streets is part of the game. And finding out the most efficient way to run a set of streets is what makes this ‘game’ so cool (imho).

2 Likes

I agree, Patrick. I have fiddled with a route on a mapping site off and on for a few days prior to settling on one that seems the most efficient. It gets easier as you do it more I think…

Thanks, I had missed that

So, less than a week after Garmin rolled out the ability to take your strava routes and get them on almost any Garmin watch that supports routes, Strava says “oh, now you have to pay for our service to get the routing feature”

I don’t THINK the change to the API affects @JamesChevalier, but I don’t know enough about it

Eric, you might have missed this in the chat. Give RunGo a look. You can map runs on a PC and then use the RunGo app for turn-by-turn navigation. I’ve used it on half a dozen runs and it works well.

However, it’s not great at redirecting if you go off course. That worries me a bit, if you miss a turn or want to add/improvise a street while you’re out running.

Chris

1 Like

So true. When given a choice, I try to double run on the shorter streets. And nothing bugs me more than a looooooong cul de sac or a dead end road!

1 Like

@chrismarino2020 Either that, or I forgot. :confused: I’m having so much fun I forget most of what I’ve read. I always appreciate the sanity checks. Thank you!

PS. Heading to https://www.rungoapp.com/ now to check it out!

Yeah, planning is part of the fun. Today i planned the next few for me for running in the coming days.

Always start with the lifemap and nodehunter on, find the best place to park, track as efficiently the neighbouring streets and also get back full circle of course.
One of those will be my 200th dedicated CS run (I am counting them, sure)

For rungo, i used it a few times now, for those runs as in the picture, it is sometimes hard to use rungo, but last sundaymorning i had my 10k run using rungo and no off track or the first time! Still a lot of planning ahead, but also more time to enjoy the moment instead of thinking what the next turn should be.

1 Like

I can personally recommend Log in | dynamicWatch, which is an app on garmin working for older devices such as 235 as wel. I’ve bought the pro version and find it very useful to run prepared routes.

1 Like

my tactics exactly the same!

1 Like

I’ve been using RunGo app for about a month or so now and it’s pretty helpful. I have noticed a couple of scenarios where it seems to struggle with the audio turn prompts besides the situation of going off course.

I have found that when you approach the same intersection multiple times (which unfortunately seems to happen often when doing every street runs, that I don’t always get a prompt the second or third time I come by an intersection.

I have also noticed that when the turns are packed in close together that it has a hard time giving the right prompt at the right time or maybe not at all. Every once in a while I’ll be in some development of townhomes or something and there’s just a ton of streets and cul-de-sacs all packed together. The good thing in that scenario is that the streets are short. The bad thing is that I lose efficiency if I’m making mistakes.

Curious if you’ve experienced those challenges and if you’ve found ways around it?