Turn-by-turn navigation advice

:grimacing:

That’s above my pay grade. If I had routed to go down it ahead of time and saw that, I’d probably skip and and the go edit OSM to call it a driveway.

I’ve been stared at from windows and even got called out from them a few times too many - too risky for me

1 Like

I’ve been yelled at 3 times haha. This was a low risk road for me. I have had to manually complete several that were creepy if I did them. One when down a driveway where the last node at the garage was basically their backyard…that was a hard no. Really my biggest fear is dogs on some private roads.

1 Like

I’m ready… “You haven’t seen a little white dog have you? Fluffy got out and my kids are going crazy.”

Mind you, I don’t have kids, or a dog. :laughing:

2 Likes

@dallas.devries I moved recently within the same city and highly recommend it, haha. It’s been a wonderful few weeks of new streets within easy reach.

2 Likes

Komoot/Strava routing comes to most garmin devices!

1 Like

OK. I’ve done the Komoot/Garmin connection setup and created my first two test “tours” in Komoot, but they are not showing up in my Garmin Connect courses.

Anyone else set up a new Komoot account, connect them and getting results in Garmin?

JP, nice find on the new Garmin feature! Do you use Strava? If so, have you tried creating a route there to see if it appears on your watch?

Curious, do you have a 235? I do and having a hard time finding “courses” on my watch. Not having luck with YouTube video’s showing it either.

1 Like

OH and meant to add that I use Strava and the courses that I created in Strava do appear in Garmin Connect.

I just cannot locate them on my 235.

1 Like

I do use Strava, but haven’t used them for course creation yet. I remember trying to create routes in strava way back when and not liking the interface, may need to look it up again.

On my 920xt, I go into the menu and find the “navigation” item from the main menu and courses are in there. I will have to look at my wife’s 230 when she gets home to see where it might be on her watch (same software as the 235, just doesn’t have the HR sensor)

From Komoot, I am not even seeing them in my Garmin Connect, so they aren’t available for me to get on my watch until they are there.

OK. I now have a course in Strava and made sure course sync was turned on for both Strava and Komoot.

Strava course creation is WAY better than I remember it being.

Still nothing in Garmin yet, but maybe it is just that because it is a brand new API it is swamped by many many people trying to do the same thing I am.

OK, strava route synced. I had forgotten that I had read that you have to “Star” the course in strava to flag it for import by Garmin.

NICE!

If you find, I’d like to hear more. That’s my setup too. For now, I just print a paper map of my target area. :slight_smile:

Useful discussion, I end up stopping far too often and trying to plot the next few turns.

Can I hijack a little and ask what to me is a related question. Has anyone come across a good app/website for solving the ‘travelling salesman problem’, i.e. I want to run all the streets in an area, how can i do this and avoid running back on myself?

Some areas can be tricky to work out a route, for example this one:

Chris -

You aren’t alone wondering this.

There is a long thread trying to figure it out here.

2 Likes

backtracking streets is part of the game. And finding out the most efficient way to run a set of streets is what makes this ‘game’ so cool (imho).

2 Likes

I agree, Patrick. I have fiddled with a route on a mapping site off and on for a few days prior to settling on one that seems the most efficient. It gets easier as you do it more I think…

Thanks, I had missed that

So, less than a week after Garmin rolled out the ability to take your strava routes and get them on almost any Garmin watch that supports routes, Strava says “oh, now you have to pay for our service to get the routing feature”

I don’t THINK the change to the API affects @JamesChevalier, but I don’t know enough about it

Eric, you might have missed this in the chat. Give RunGo a look. You can map runs on a PC and then use the RunGo app for turn-by-turn navigation. I’ve used it on half a dozen runs and it works well.

However, it’s not great at redirecting if you go off course. That worries me a bit, if you miss a turn or want to add/improvise a street while you’re out running.

Chris

1 Like