Strava activity in synch but not synching

When I tried adding this activity from yesterday to the individual activity sync feature, it returned the message that the activity is already in the queue. Is the API issue causing longer than 12 he sync times? I don’t really care, just want to know what to expect. Thanks!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3290170885

1 Like

You are not alone. With the current strava API situation, supporters might have to wait 2-3 days (or longer if it gets worse) and non-supporters even longer.

Also, just because the status page does not say you have activities waiting does not mean the have been dropped from the queue. @JamesChevalier (owner, creator and sole programmer of this hobby site) has posted elsewhere about the difficulties of keeping the status page 100% accurate and 100% up-to-date due to the strange way Strava requires he structure the queue

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s helpful. I knew about the Strava issue but didn’t realize it had gotten so bad. Has there been a big uptick in users since the COVID-19 issue that has exasperated the problem?

@timm.huffman Good question!

I think I saw something in the past few days where there have been over 100 new sign-ups per day

1 Like

Sounds like a problem, but a good one.

1 Like

Supporter here and I haven’t had anything sync since 4/10 as of this morning.

1 Like

@JamesChevalier posted earlier today on another thread there are currently 11k SUPPORTER activities waiting for Strava import

My activities from the 11th and 12th are queued, but my run from today is showing up in my profile. I’m a little nervous that they won’t make it in! I do hope that James isn’t having too much stress about all of this.

James laid out in another post that because of the strava webhooks work, you can see activities come in out of order because there is a bit of chance involved with which get grabbed when calls are available.

2 Likes

Great to hear some answers here as I have been patiently refreshing my status, life map, and profile page over the last 3 days is when it stopped for me. Can’t wait to see those purple lines fill in again.

1 Like

As of this morning I have 8 activities waiting for import and no movement since 4/10. I’m not sure how we ever get over the limit of Strava API throttling things with the growth.

You should visit the Strava support page and put in a ticket. I put one in last night and I’m encouraging anyone who uses CityStrides+Strava to do it too so we can help get this resolved.

1 Like

LOL, well said, Todd. Exact same here. I am so ridiculously addicted to seeing new purple lines! We’ll get through this.

1 Like

I’ve also submitted a Strava support request about API call limits. More noise in the channel that will hopefully help.

1 Like

Basic strava support ticket from me resulted in someone writing back saying “this should go to the developers email or the API google group”

The email to the developer’s email resulted in a response saying “you should go to the API google group for help unless you are requesting an rate limit increase” so I suspect that was an automated response since my message was basically “citystrides.com needs a rate limit increase”

1 Like

FWIW I submitted a request to Strava support and got the below message. That said a support contact probably costs them ~$10 so if enough people ask maybe they’ll start taking notice even if it’s not the right channel?!?

“Thank you for contacting Strava. Unfortunately, we don’t respond to developer questions through this channel. For general API questions we recommend you join and ask your question in our Strava API Google Group - Redirecting to Google Groups. We hope the active community of developers can be of assistance.”
"

1 Like

Interesting group. Interesting reading too.

So is it better (faster sync) to use some other service like map my run?

According to the status page CityStrides there are currently over 300,000 activities waiting to be synced, with a daily limit of 30,000 API calls you can figure out this will take a very long time.