Questions about using two activity trackers

I have been a Runkeeper user for a few years, and I have used it as a source of activities in Citystrides, linking my Runkeeper account to my Citystrides one.

I am now thinking to move to Strava, but I would like to import my Runkeeper runs to it to have all my history. If I then add the Strava account to Citysrides, will I end up with duplicates activities here?

Thanks!

:link: My profile link : Davide - CityStrides

No, there’s code in place to skip over activities with the exact same start time.

This doesn’t apply to you, but just in case it applies to someone reading along:
If, for example, you start tracking yourself with a Garmin device … and then you open, for example, Runkeeper & start tracking yourself there … if you have both accounts connected to your CityStrides account, then both activities will sync because they won’t have exactly the same start times.

No, there’s code in place to skip over activities with the exact same start time.

I think that’s how it is supposed to work… but I don’t think it is. My Garmin syncs to Runkeeper and then both accounts are connected to CityStrides. CS pulls the Garmin route in near instantly and then overnight or whenever Runkeeper processes it pulls the same activity in again.

It’s never really bugged me, I see both activities and I know why. And then I don’t use any of the charts that tell me how far I run. (Which is actually why I still sync to Runkeeper - it has all of my pre-Garmin data plus my added Garmin data so I use that to see how many miles I’ve run)

Street completions usually go to my Garmin route since it registers first, but very rarely I’ll see where the Garmin route rounded a corner or something that the Runkeeper route didn’t which is interesting to me because it should be the exact same GPS data points.

It sounds like you’re actually tracking yourself two separate times - starting the Garmin tracker and then also starting your Runkeeper app (or vice versa). That’s going to result in two different time stamps - off by a few seconds while you switch devices.
The deduplication code only looks at exact time stamps, so it sees these as two separate activities.

If you want to stop duplicates I would suggest pausing Runkeeper in your Settings page. That will keep your old data & skip newly saved activities.

I have a similar setup, with Garmin → Runkeeper → CS. There is no separate tracking, the Garmin data gets automatically forwarded to Runkeeper (and apparently slightly modified along the way). In this scenario I don’t see any benefit from having both services connected, it probably makes sense to either disconnect one entirely, or at least pause it to avoid duplicates.

It sounds like you’re actually tracking yourself two separate times - starting the Garmin tracker and then also starting your Runkeeper app (or vice versa).

I have the same setup as Just_one_more_street I think. I don’t track myself at all with the Runkeeper app. I track one time with my watch and then that same activity syncs to Runkeeper. Apparently the timestamp gets changed in the feed, maybe truncating off miliseconds or something.

it probably makes sense to either disconnect one entirely

I can’t disconnect because I have older data in Runkeeper that isn’t in Garmin.

If you want to stop duplicates I would suggest pausing Runkeeper in your Settings page. That will keep your old data & skip newly saved activities.

It’s probably not worth it at this point. I’ve got 6 or 7 years of duplicates now. As long as everything is always counted twice, at least I’m consistent.

Thanks to you both for bringing this up! It looks like my date comparison for Runkeeper (and possibly MapMyFitness) syncs is fully broken :grimacing: :person_facepalming:
I’ll see if I can sort that out this/next week.

1 Like