Phantom nodes preventing street completions

Can’t wrap my head around this one. Had fewer ‘completes’ and more ‘incompletes’ than expected in my run Kevin Pels's Activity on February 5, 2021 - CityStrides today, and on a bunch of my ‘incomplete’ streets the nodes looked all green! I was worried it was a processing error and I just needed to be patient, but I had never noticed this on any other activities previously, and after a few hours had passed I started to investigate.

When I checked the ‘incompletes’ I noticed something peculiar. For the simplest example, Rua Vaz de António in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides - small alley, 2 green nodes, should be done. But then when I look harder, the page says ‘3 nodes’ …where is the phantom node that I missed :thinking: As I looked at other roads, I consistently saw more nodes enumerated than I could count on the map.

Other roads from this activity that fall in the same incomplete but should be complete bucket:
Rua da Alagoa in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘13 nodes’ I see 7/7 green
Rua da Imaculada Conceição in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘33 nodes’ I see 29/31 green
Rua da Vinha in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘11 nodes’ I see 7/7 green
Rua do Alecrim in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘5 nodes’ I see 4/4 green
Rua do Canto in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘13 nodes’ I see 7/7 green
Rua do Moinho in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘6 nodes’ I see 3/3 green
Rua do Sobral in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘7 nodes’ I see 3/3 green
Rua do Tanque in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘4 nodes’ I see 3/3 green
Rua Lourenço Marques in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘5 nodes’ I see 4/4 green
Rua Nazaré Canas in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘10 nodes’ I see 8/8 green
Rua S. Miguel Arcanjo in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘17 nodes’ I see 10/11 green
Rua das Pedreiras in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘5 nodes’ I see 2/2 green

Finally, I decided to see if it was a problem in any of my ‘completes’ as well and did find one: Rua da Fonte in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides ‘120 nodes’ I count 109/115 green (double-counted to make sure)

So in conclusion, this phantom node problem causes my run to show ‘10 complete, 20 incomplete’ but 14 streets have at least one phantom node, preventing 13 streets from hitting >90%, and therefore it should be ‘23 complete, 7 incomplete’.

Hope this thorough investigation helps reveal something that can be easily fixed :sweat_smile:

Looks like the problem discussed in All nodes green but street not complete - #17 by petje which was solved last week, so in the next update for those cities it should be OK

1 Like

Thanks! Wish I’d just read that instead…

I do wonder what caused it though. In that thread seemed to be people marking streets private which I haven’t done in Alcaravela. I’m the only CityStrider in this rural region and I’d be shocked if any others are making many street-level updates to OSM here, it’s mostly been me…oh well, guess we’ll see at the next update.

You can see the update history of each object in OSM to find out who changes them.

Hi @JamesChevalier - sorry to bug you but I’ve seen when people ask you to manually update their cities you do it if you aren’t too busy - would address the issues here if you update Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides since it was updated 1/24 I don’t expect it to come back around again soon :pray: thanks!

Thanks @JamesChevalier I saw you did indeed update it and that the streets such as Rua da Alagoa in Alcaravela, Santarém - CityStrides and the others listed in the OP have the correct number of nodes now. They are also unexpectedly still incomplete but I assume that will soon correct itself!

Yeah, there’s a massive delay in the reprocessing that has to occur post-update.

1 Like