Now Testing: City street/node updates

73% of Barcelona! That’s impressive! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you, Graham!! :wink:

places with at least one person running there (any activity, ever)

I went and set all the “last update” dates to the city’s creation date, since that’s when the data was brought over from OSM. This also helps speed up my update code, because it’ll ignore data from prior to that date.

2 Likes

What is the latest expectation of completing all cities? I see many new streets in my city, Haarlemmermeer, but all new streets have the zero nodes issue. Thank you!

The next update should resolve this. It seems like updates should run roughly monthly.

1 Like

@JordiMonge WOW! Nice work.

1 Like

Out of interest, when Liverpool recently updated my percentage completed went from 22.90% to 23.15% because of all the missing roads I’d added prior to the update!

5 Likes

Thanks James, but do you know if Barcelona will be updated soon?

DeLand, FL was updated today. There were a couple glitches that you might want to look at. (There may be others.)

• One of the roads I completed (Airport Terminal Drive) is still listed on the incomplete list, although all of the nodes are now green. Prior to this update the road was longer, but I marked several of the sections as inaccessible. (They were behind big security fences at our local airport.)
  • Another road (Blue Stream Road) has been relocated to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. (Yes, I know that it actually has zero nodes. But my romantic side is looking forward to my next cruise.)

No major issues that need to be addressed prior to the next update since I still have a lot of other streets to run, but I thought you’d be interested…

1 Like

Hi James!

It is great so see my OSM-changes making it to CS!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

I have changed a lot of street parts to accessible that were missing in CS. CS marked those streets previously as “complete” as a lot of nodes where missing due to the incorrect OSM-data. Now these nodes show up correctly in CS and the progess-% for these roads has gone down as expected. But they are still listet as “complete” in the street-list and the missing nodes also do not show up in the node hunter. That also applies to roads that have less than 90%-progress, if I completed ist before the update.

Do I have to wait for another processing step that is not yet done in my city?
Here are two examples:

To help my OCD and to have a street simultaneously disappear/appear/update in the Nested and Parent City, is there anyway to sync the updates of the Parents and Nested Cities?

1 Like

Hey @JamesChevalier, first I’d like to thank you for all the work that you’ve put in this project! You’ve kept me motivated this year to go out for a run, even without any races on the calendar.

I’ve noticed that the street-count of Bruges has been updated last week. I’ve also noticed streets with 0 nodes for the first time in my “Incomplete streets”-list. However, I’m not sure if they were introduced with the update:

I got all my cities updates from OSM on the 12th! so cool to see manual completion cleaned up and so.
I got one question for @JamesChevalier:
The city I am completing this week has several 0 nodes still:
city
0 nodes streets:
Helstraat

Neerbeekerstraat
Strange, this is completely not in Sittard-Geleen

op de Kollenberg

Thien Bunderstraat

Victoriastraat

One strange street is Walstraat
there is one node in CS but a complete street in OSM

I hope you can use above to analyse

My City - Portsmouth, UK has updated with my latest map changes ( :partying_face:)

But I’m seeing an issue for a couple of streets not being marked as complete:

Interestingly (for me anyway!) they both list an extra node than is visible

On October 17th, cities that had been updated on September 21st have been updated again. It indicates a cycle of less than 4 weeks. That’s much shorter than the first estimation and that’s very good news.

Unfortunately, the gap between the sum of complete and incomplete streets and the total number of streets in a city has further widened in most cities I have checked. That is so because the total number of streets has in most cases not been updated while complete/incomplete streets have.

On the first page of the city list on my profile, there is just one exception: Köln (Cologne). There, the total number of streets has been updated as well. I cannot see why it is different in the smaller cities.

There are some spectacular cases, at least in percentage. In Potsdam (updated on October 16th), the sum of complete and incomplete streets I see is 995. The displayed total number of streets is 1102. This is a big difference!
I expect an update for my hometown tomorrow, and the magnitude and the unpredictability of the changes worry me a bit.

Hey James, Updates are going great … too great :slight_smile:

If I recall highway=service were not being pulled into CS but I have located at least one that has been, the adjacent highway=service have not been. The only differentiator that I can tell is that the streets not pulled in, do not have a ‘name’

Bell Tower Drive

unnamed

I have not changed the street on OSM so that you can review

Thanks,
Ken

It looks like I only have ['highway' !~ 'services'] right now

also, the name tag is required

It looks like the only questionable data loss from ignoring highway=services would be alley and that might only be problematic in very particular places:

In some (e.g. medieval European) settlements alleys may be the very narrow streets which run in-between buildings, providing public through-access.

1 Like

No worries in that case, I will continue to ‘battle’ the unknown forces that list everything as ‘YES’. We don’t want to exclude those medieval alleys, they have got to be so cool to traverse.

@JamesChevalier

I am now starting to see the 2nd update from OSM on many of my towns. 1st update seemed to be in-line with what was expected. However the 2nd update (mid October 2020) has caused many anomalies. I now have two towns with 0 incomplete streets but the “percentage complete” went from 100% to 99.xx%.

Allenstown, NH

Bedford, NH

I have also noticed a large reduction in the number of total streets in each town (as many as 20+ streets removed in some towns). Do you have an updated filter list? It looks like many of the Class VI roads that I completed where removed from the street list. Specifically, it looks like any roads classified as “Unmaintained Track Road” were removed as runnable streets.

That could be a cache issue, let me know how it looks tomorrow.

Yeah, I’m updating that query semi-regularly. CityStrides Street Query (also linked from About the Node, Street, and City Data). Track is now ignored.

The nice thing about how the data updates ~monthly is that this query can be adjusted & the data will be updated fairly quickly. Let me know your perspective on ignoring highway=track.