Now Testing: City street/node updates

Thanks, that was quick! :smiley:

Brighton, Michigan please! Brighton, Michigan - CityStrides

Hi @JamesChevalier, after the latest city updates I’ve found a few streets that have had some issues. I had this city at 100% White Rock, British Columbia - CityStrides but after the update I have one street incomplete. I clicked on it and it takes me to the ocean off the coast of Africa. CityStrides. I’ve noticed a few other streets in my other cities seem to do the same thing. Just wanted to bring it to your attention in case others are having similar experiences.

@JamesChevalier, Could you please tell me if Keller is due for another sync? I’m down to just 13 streets to go, but 8 of them have the 0-node issue, and 2 have recent updates in OSM.

Thank you, Eric

A twenty day cycle? That’s impressive. I’ve been telling people that it was a two hundred day cycle.

One question. You’ve updated DeLand, FL as part of the initial testing. (Thanks. My percentage completion jumped 10% when you did that.) And so I’m expecting another update by the end of October for my new changes to the city.

But as far as I can tell, you haven’t made any changes to Daytona Beach, FL. Should I assume that it will be updated sometime during the next twenty days, or is it currently listed as inactive? If so you might want to double check the algorithm you’re using to determine if a city is active or not. I’ve been completing streets in the city regularly.

The biggest problem with Daytona Beach, which was also the biggest problem with DeLand, is the border issue. Both cities predate your border checking to ensure the nodes were inside the city. As such, there are a lot of nodes that needed to be fixed in DeLand (which were) and a whole bunch in Daytona Beach that still need to be fixed. And, of course, the same issue is in the neighboring cities, which have nodes in Daytona Beach or DeLand.

Actually, I’m not sure what’s going on any more. I was looking at one of the neighboring cities to DeLand, Lake Helen. I noticed that it has a lot of nodes outside the city limits when I look at the city map. But when I scroll the city map toward DeLand, I’m seeing all of the DeLand nodes. It appears that the city maps do not limit the displayed nodes to those in that city. So it’s much harder to figure out if there are nodes in and out of a city.

I’m now even more confused.

It might be a good idea to have the nodes that appear in a given city map be limited to those nodes that are actually in the city, and not those that are in a neighboring city.

(It’s Monday; I’m allowed to be confused.)

Please add the following cities to your list of cities that need updating due to the huge amount of overlap on the roads:

South Daytona, FL - South Daytona, Florida - CityStrides
Ormond Beach, FL - Ormond Beach, Florida - CityStrides
Holly Hill, FL - Holly Hill, Florida - CityStrides
Daytona Beach, FL - Daytona Beach, Florida - CityStrides

Today’s activity in Daytona Beach, FL, ended up with four versions of Nova Road. Even though I was at least a mile away from any city boundary, the following four roads all had nodes on my activity:

(The actual walk was in Daytona Beach, the last of the four.)

Thanks,

Fred

Hopefully! I still don’t really know enough about the process to be certain of anything.

That city was updated on 2020-09-26.

We can roughly expect cities to update monthly. Again - way too early to really know the pace of change.
Inactive cities are cities with nobody running in them at all, ever. All other cities are active.

This city has not been updated yet.

I don’t really understand what you’re doing, but I’ll try to provide some info that could help.
Clicking the View/Go button for streets will show the nodes for that street. After a city is updated, it will not have nodes outside of its city.
NodeHunter has no concept of cities. It only shows the nodes that you have not completed for streets that you have not completed. City borders play no role whatsoever.

No need to request cities. The system is updating all active cities.

Click through each of those street links & view the top left of the page - it shows/links to the city for that street. Each street is in a different city.

1 Like

Woo hoo! Thanks @JamesChevalier

Knew this day would come - Auckland and her nested cities have been updated and now I have some new streets to go and run! Only one of my 100% cities dropped so not too bad. I haven’t been active in updating OpenSreetMap, happy with the manual completion option for those I know can’t be completed.

One odd thing I did notice was some cities the total streets and my streets completed both increased (I track separately in a spreadsheet as I have a few of the nested cities I have grouped together that is smaller than Auckland as a whole)

The number of streets can increase if new streets were added or existing streets named/renamed in OSM. I have added legitimate names to unnamed streets with an OSM edit (usually but not always new-build streets). Once parsed by CS this will increase the total number of streets (assuming the new name didn’t already exist in that city in CS) and if I’ve already run it then once it’s in CS then it’ll also be on my Completed Streets list.

1 Like

I figured out my confusion.

I live (and and primarily run) on the north side of DeLand. There are no immediate cities to the north of DeLand, so you’ve removed all the nodes that were on the unincorporated neighboring streets.

Since when I looked around the city where I was running, I only saw nodes inside the city, not those outside. And so I assumed – yeah, you know what that means – that the node hunter for a city map only returned nodes in the city. I didn’t try scrolling to another city to test my assumption.

Lake Helen is to the south east, and I had never looked in that direction. So my assumption was never tested. Until now, at which point it failed and I was confused.

As for the Nova Roads, yes, I knew that they came from four different cities. I assumed – yes, there’s that word again – that none of them had been cleaned up. Turns out that Daytona Beach itself was cleaned up, but the other three cities were not. And thus the four different Nova Roads when I’m no way near the border. That should get cleaned up when you finish the first pass through all the cities.

Patience is a virtue that I need to work on.

Sorry for the confusion. Like I said, it was Monday, and I’m allowed to be confused on Mondays.

1 Like

Hi James, I see from your posts on this thread that you’d ideally like the update process to work faster than it currently is.
I have a suggestion/idea (based on zero knowledge of how coding works and a huge assumption of why people want to see the street updates happen quickly).

So my assumption is that most people want cities updated because they are very close to completing a city or have already completed all runnable streets in a city but the CS street data is outdated. Looking at the profile percentages of previous posters in this thread seems to bear some truth in that assumption.

In my own profile I have run in around 60 cities and scanning through quite a few of those, very few have any striders who are anywhere near completing them (granted I can’t see people with private profiles). So updating a few OSM streets for those cities probably isn’t having any great impact on people’s completion %.

I know you’re already filtering for ‘active’ cities only, so my suggestion is would it be possible to further filter for only active cities where somebody is within a certain number of streets of completion (either absolute or by %). That number being something that it is unlikely somebody would be able to complete between update cycles. So for example you could include all active cities with less than 400 streets and any city with over 400 streets that somebody has fewer than 400 streets to run (or equivalent %).

2 Likes

Can we get an update for East Palo Alto? East Palo Alto, California - CityStrides

I updated three streets in OSM that are gated off and private access. I should be 100% now!

Will the each city update be a total update of the whole city or is it clever enough to only process changes made since the last update?

1 Like

@JamesChevalier

Awesome job on developing this update process. Thank you for all the work you have put into it.

I am starting to see dates show up on my local cities for updates and that makes me so happy.

One thing I have seen a couple of times is that when a city is updated, the nodes update properly including the old “streets outside of city boundary” issue from the original global data import, but even though those nodes get removed from the streets/cities, they are not being updated to “complete” when they should.

Example:

My three incomplete streets for this small town all had long stretches outside the city boundary before the recent udpate, but should be complete now.

Thanks again for all your hard work and fiddling.

JP

1 Like

Both, kind of. My query to Overpass (the API interface to OSM data that I use) is a full view of the city at the time of the query, but my processing of that data accounts for existing data.

I’m pretty sure that the issue is an early bug that caused the update process to exit entirely instead of skip to the next street when there was nothing to update. This caused a lot of zero-node streets to get created & streets with incorrect node counts. This incorrect node count affected whether or not I’d mark it as complete - if there were 50 nodes, and it was updated to have 10, and you’ve run all 10, it would see that as 20% instead of 100%.

2 Likes

Excellent point and great idea. Very true in my case! :slight_smile:

Actually, I want the city updated because I’m going through the roads alphabetically now that I’ve cleared out the central core. But two of the first four roads have inaccessible nodes that I’ve fixed in OSM.

But they’re still on the list, taunting me.

2 Likes

I’m down to just 13 streets in Keller, TX.

8 have the 0-node / middle of the ocean problem. I’ve already run many of the 8.
2 have been updated as they are private roads. The “public nodes” have been run.

The remaining 3 are OK in CS, and I will likely get this week. One is a 3 mile stretch, that will also allow me to pick up another street. The last, runable, street also has a couple 0-node streets, that I will also run soon.

So close - 98.68%!

2 Likes

Good morning!

What are the parameters to define a city as “active”?

From time to time I update some streets in Barcelona at OSM, but the last update for Barcelona was on 2019-09-11.

Can you check if everything is correct?