My city isn't there (yet?) - how can I run it?

Thanks for posting - I have a recurring task each month to add more cities/countries, but sometimes I need to be reminded. :sweat_smile: I’ve got another batch of 18 cities going in now, Kenilworth included.

4 Likes

Amazing thanks for updating it so quickly!

@JamesChevalier Do you mind to add
Belfast, Northern Ireland and Belgrade, Serbia
Thank you

See Belfast not progressed - #8 by JamesChevalier

@JamesChevalier I added Howth (Sutton) Ireland to that spreadsheet as well. Hoping that will be added soon! Thank you for all you do. I’m totally obsessed with progressing streets/cities.

There are a couple usable Howths (there needs to be a boundary, it cannot be a single node) - https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ui/search.html?q=howth+ireland

Looks like it could be any one of these:

@JamesChevalier I’m honestly not sure what the boundaries of Howth are. I’m visiting on vacation and Google maps is unclear. The third option seems like the best?

I just added Ponta Delgada in the Azores (Portugal) to the list. It’s just a nice-to-have, but would be a cherry on top of my upcoming vacation there. Thanks, James!

1 Like

Wondering if I should add everything in the Azores at:

…admin_level 7 (visit overpass turbo and click the top left “Run” for an interactive list)

…or admin_level 8 (visit overpass turbo and click the top left “Run” for an interactive list)

// @kevincharlespels Does one look better than the other to you?

Oh man, it’s hard to say since I haven’t been to the Azores to run yet…I would assume level 8 for most of that island (there are 8 other islands) but check the capital Ponta Delgada and maybe other denser areas (Vila Franca do Campo & Rabo do Peixe?). But I wouldn’t say this is any Portugal-specific insight since a) I haven’t been there and b) they are autonomous governing units so that may affect how they divide administrative units.

:person_facepalming: Ugh, naturally there are several options…

Ponta Delgada

Vila Franca do Campo

Rabo de Peixe

Based on some notes in Ponta Delgada - Wikipedia I don’t think I’m any closer to a decision. :sweat_smile:

It describes Ponta Delgada as a concelho (which would make it a region in CityStrides), which conflicts with my initial idea of adding Azores as the region :sob:

Ponta Delgada (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈpõtɐ ðɛlˈɣaðɐ] (listen); lit. ‘“Thin Cape”’) is the largest municipality (concelho ) and economic capital of the Autonomous Region of the Azores in Portugal.

And it describes admin level 7 in OSM:

The municipality of Ponta Delgada is one of the larger administrative divisions in the archipelago, extending from the center of the island to the western coast. Ponta Delgada is bordered on the northeast by the municipality of Ribeira Grande, and southeast by relatively new municipality of Lagoa.

Ah! It lists some parishes, which map to admin level 8.

Not to be confused with a traditional city, the city of Ponta Delgada has no legal jurisdiction or mayor, but the municipality of Ponta Delgada has an elected official, the Presidente da Câmara Municipal who administers and Assembleia Municipal , which is the representative council, while dispersed parish councils (and elected presidents) govern the localities that circle the western edge of São Miguel.

:flushed:
I just notice Madeira needs to be added to CityStrides as well & it looks like a similar situation :rofl: :sob:
Its Wikipedia page is offering a helpful list of administrative divisions that will probably be applicable to Azores … It effectively boils the question down to:
Should the municipalities of Azores/Madeira exist in CityStrides, or should the parishes of Azores/Madeira exist in CityStrides?

In case this clarifies, concelho is more like city/county. The regions, at least for those listed on Portugal - CityStrides, are distritos, which are larger administrative units.

I went with admin level 8, because that’s what the rest of Portugal is using. They’re still importing, so some pages may not be fully functional & processing is definition not done yet:

2 Likes

Can you add Pristina, Kosovo to the map
Thanx

It looks like, to bring in all of Kosovo, I can either import admin level 8 with very little coverage: overpass turbo or I can import admin level 6 with full coverage but very large cities: overpass turbo

(you will need to click the top left Run button, accept the prompt about a large amount of data, then click the magnifying glass button on the map)

If you view those results & click around the map - does one level seem more like a “city” for you than the other?

Maybe another helpful view of the two levels - we would choose one of these two options:

The first one looks like the city

How about Moldova? I’m going there in a couple of weeks, would be nice to have at least Chisinau in CS!

Moldova already exists: Moldova - CityStrides
I do think I should recreate it, though … It looks like the list of cities should really be the Regions, and then I should bring in admin level 8 as cities within those regions. It wouldn’t fully cover the country - overpass turbo - but it seems like it would be more accurate.

Aha, great, I was looking for just Chisinau, not Municipul Chisinau😁. A bit difficult to search for countries, maybe that could also be a menu option?

Ugh, and it didn’t get returned in the search because it’s “Chișinău” - if you search for that in the Cities page, it’ll be returned. Most names in other languages have an English version, which I also store … This one just happens to still use the special characters.