Mapping Progress visualization

In the wild I’ve seen some neat visualizations of peoples progress. I would be neat to make a shareable video or animated gif of the progress of a city or lifemap over time. Would be a cool way for people to share their accomplishments on social media while promoting the website.

Not saying CS wouldn’t benefit from something like this but just pointing out another resource that I’ve used for something similar. If anything maybe it could be used as inspiration on designing CS’s version?

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

Personally I used it to display all my runs & rides onto a single map but you could filter to just runs if desired. Then ran the query and recorded using QuickTime on my computer. Posted to YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ThlP0DEmU8)

A problem I could foresee and was a problem with my above method, is that most city projects are over a long time span (months or years). This means to show progress you’d need a semi lengthy recording as well. GIFs are really only meant lengths of a couple seconds. Videos can be how ever long you want but it takes processing power to encode and build the videos. Plus storage size/costs skyrocket once high-quality videos are created. These aren’t problems that couldn’t be overcome (especially if they are not stored long term on CS servers but rather on social media platforms as you mention) but they are things James would have to work out.

As a supporter, we have the “Time Filter” icon, located on the right side of your LifeMap screen. It can give you a picture of the last week, month, year (or whatever time period you specify). It is not animated, but gives a nice map of what you have accomplished during the specified time.

1 Like

@dallas.devries Cool idea. I’d much rather have a button here at CS to click, rather than jump through hoops elsewhere.

@Marty Not sure if your first link was to demonstrate the idea, but it was asking me to authorize Strava. I didn’t feel like messing with that. Curious if anyone else did, and what happened.

Cheers, Eric

@ericjrw The Jonathan O’keeffe website pulls your Strava data similar to how CS does so that is why it is asking for you to authorize pulling data from your Strava account. Instead of marking streets and nodes (a la CS), it is for displaying your activities into a heatmap. You can filter your activities down by type or keyword. In essence it is similar to Strava’s built-in heatmap but has the ability to combine all your activity types into a single map; Strava can’t do that.

Recommended it because it will draw all your activities in order and thus show how you progress through an area/city; which is what Dallas’ initial request was. I then recorded my screen to get a video of the drawing (second link to YouTube as example).

1 Like

Yes, the O’Keeffe site is cool in heatmappnig. Only bug imho is that it is either run or walk, ergo: only one activity at a time is visible in the rendering. So if you have walks including in the city progress on CS, the O’Keeffe site will not have the same result as lifemap.

1 Like

@Marty Thank you for that info. Will endeavor to give it a try soon!