Map of uncompleted streets in my city

Is there a way to see my uncompleted streets (in a particular city) on a map? This way, I can figure out what my next run may be.

12 Likes

I absolutely would love to see this. +1 for seeing incomplete nodes somehow in my proximity!

2 Likes

Love this. Donā€™t want to leave a street when only 90% of the nodes are green even if it is in my ā€˜completed streetsā€™

2 Likes

And again a +1 from me

yes would be a nice feature.

Yes please!

Bumping this one again. Any progress? Iā€™m down to 140 streets (most of which are parks & buildings and stuff) and they are all over the place!

Away on vacation right now, but this is at the top of my list (aside from the bugs I see recently reported) to work on when I get back. I really like this idea & Iā€™m psyched to work on it.

2 Likes

This is my #1 request, too.

1 Like

This would be so fantastic. If Iā€™m going to drive across town to walk a route just to pick up one lone node, it would be great if I could see what other incomplete nodes might be nearby!

Some people are talking about streets and some people are talking about nodes. These are two very different things:

• map of unfinished streets, displayed as individual nodes
  • map of any unfinished nodes

Do you have preferences?

@toddkopriva @kimluce99 @supermitch @azs @p.gomes @petje @rutgermooy @mikehaworth

Edit: Oops, sorry - by tagging people here, it looks like your replies will go in a message to me instead of in a reply to this post. Sorry for the confusion.

@JamesChevalier Iā€™m thinking that unfinished NODES would be ideal. The thing is, a street could be long, and you be missing one node at the end. Would be annoying to see the whole street; I can see that, generally speaking, via the incomplete streets list.

What I really want to see (as I near 100% completion) are the actual unfinished nodes, so that I can plan a route to get them.

I think.

edit: Personally 90% completion drives me crazy too so Iā€™d love to see unfinished nodes even for completed streets, but that might not be the casual heatmappers opinion.

3 Likes

For me personally, it would be nodes over streets, cos if you see the nodes, you know the street involved. And when you approach the 100% line for a city, you can view the incomplete streets via the ā€˜cityā€™ tab.
And i second, i would like to see on a map for a specific city the nodes i still need to get by to get completion.

Ultimately for me, concerning my progression seen visually on this site, itā€™s about the lifetime map being completely covering the streets with the gpx lines from strava. In the end, the combination of that map and the streets per city completely in ā€˜doneā€™ is what counts or me. If that map would support the above AND having uncompleted nodes visible, it would be the ultimate planner/completion assistant. (my 2c)

1 Like

It should be Nodes-based, for the reasons Supermitch put forward.
Then, thereā€™s two options:

• show all unfinished nodes
  • show the unfinished nodes of incompleted streets only

I think most people are running to complete streets, so the second option would be most useful.
Perhaps a toggle can be made for option one, to cater for those who just want to run every node.

1 Like

I agree on the nodes vs. streets for all the reasons above!

OK, Iā€™m getting there ā€¦ but I realized that I havenā€™t clarified one aspect of this. :frowning_face:

Iā€™m on board with the idea that this map should display nodes and that it shouldnā€™t display the street as a line (comparable to the individual Activity map).

I have a lingering question of whether the collection of nodes should only come from uncompleted streets or if the collection of nodes being displayed should not take into account whether or not the street is complete.
So weā€™re playing to the ā€œ90% is not enoughā€ crowd. :smile:

1. map of your unfinished nodes attached to your unfinished streets
  2. map of your unfinished nodes, ignoring whether or not the attached street is finished or not

My take is that it should be option 1 - nodes from unfinished streets.
(paired with this is a separate feature addition for the ā€œ90% is not enoughā€ crowd: Strict Mode, where you must finish 100% of the nodes to mark it as complete)

@toddkopriva @kimluce99 @supermitch @azs @p.gomes @petje @rutgermooy @mikehaworth

I personally donā€™t understand the need for option 1.
Most of that information will be displaced in the ā€˜incomplete street listā€™

Option 2 is what I assume most of us will be after the more we complete a city.
Itā€™s currently impossible to know what nodes weā€™ve missed on completed streets without going through thousands of streets individually.
I personally would prefer a map of unfinished nodes on completed streets over a map of unfinished nodes on incomplete streets.

1 Like

Option 1 is useful because I have a list of maybe 120 streets, spread out all over the city, and itā€™s a 20 km to run to reach each one of them. If I canā€™t see a unified view of the unfinished nodes, itā€™s hard to plan a route. Hereā€™s an example of what it could look like:

This map would be even better if it pointed out individual nodes. In most cases I am only missing single nodes, anyway!

The 90% node thing is a nice to have for the strict crowd, as you say. BUT until you give us an option to avoid the 90% rule, thereā€™s not really much value in a ā€œsee missing 10% nodesā€. I love the idea, but as far as ROI for new features, itā€™s much less.

3 Likes

Here is how I look at unfinished nodes:

firstly I explore sometimes which nodes belong to a street or building, sportfield, canal, graveyard, school, church, massive building or other ā€˜objectsā€™

Second I always look at finished and unfinished streets and see then the unfinished nodes when I have run. Most of them I understand but sometimes there are unexpected things like 2 streets with the same name or nodes in the water, buildings etc. Thats gives me an understanding of the nodes versus streets.

When i have finished my city (and that will be ahwile with > 6000 streets I will eventually be looking at unfinished stees, nodes, impossible objects and impossivle nodes and flag them or maybe ā€˜bushwalkā€™ some :slight_smile:

my 0,02 cts :slight_smile:

+1 for option 1. Nodes for unfinished streets only. The main goal here is to finish all streets (at the current 90% rate), and this feature helps doing that.
This does not exclude ā€˜advancedā€™ options:

• a toggle to show all nodes, regardless of street status
  • show all nodes, but with different colours depending on street status
  • for some, only complete a street at 100%, which puts all the un-run nodes in the same basket anyway