Long line on my map?

Any idea how I can delete this long line that I did not run?

I’m guessing that’s Strava. If you select that activity in Strava and then the three horizontal dots, and then crop, you should be able to crop out the line. I’ve had something similar. Hope that helps.

1 Like

A local runner has these all over his map because he starts a walk on strava then pauses it and rides to a new location and then continues the same walk. Usually because he wants to get to 5km and hasn’t done that before having to travel to somewhere else. So there’s lines all over the lifemap and random streets collected so he’s never going to go back and correct them all :laughing:

But note that those straight lines are not really part of the run. That is, if the line seems to pass directly over some nodes, those nodes will still be red. That’s because you don’t have any GPS points registered along the line, it’s just a fictive line drawn from the last GPS point before you stopped the watch, till the first GPS point when you start the watch again

Thanks Hans. I’ve wondered about that. If he sits in the car for for a while before pausing his strava then that curvy line along the road counts but not the long lines between points. They just bug me on an aesthetic level when viewing the lifemap.

But note that those straight lines are not really part of the run. That is, if the line seems to pass directly over some nodes, those nodes will still be red.

Nope, those nodes are considered as part of run. Sometimes, I use public transport to extend my tour in the middle and pause tracking, e.g., Steffen19w23's activity on June 10, 2023 - CityStrides and find nodes on the line progressed (e.g. the ones in Zorneding in the activity mentioned).
Especially not splitting activities with 42+km because of achievement points in Garmin connect. Should I create an Idea tread for long line exclusion instead of hijacking this one?

Strange! If your watch was paused when passing through Zorneding, it won’t record any GPS points, and this is really what CS is looking for, CS does not check to see if the “line/path” of your run passes a node, it checks if there are any GPS points close enough to a node (GPS points can be seen if you open the gpx/tcx file)
I have definitely done the same thing, make a run, pause the watch, drive to another location and then re-start the activity. I get the straight red line, and nodes under it were not collected.

There is no point between in the gpx, but position wasn’t corrected by watch in first two seconds after re-start:
[trkpt lat=“48.1039760” lon=“11.7650480”>[time>2023-06-10T10:35:00Z[/time>[/trkpt>
[trkpt lat=“48.1039760” lon=“11.7650480”>[time>2023-06-10T10:46:28Z[/time>[/trkpt>
[trkpt lat=“48.1039760” lon=“11.7650480”>[time>2023-06-10T10:46:29Z[/time>[/trkpt>
[trkpt lat=“48.0709530” lon=“11.8875740”>[time>2023-06-10T10:46:31Z[/time>[/trkpt>
Both Garmin and Strava were clever enough to handle trackpoints with bad quality. The origin file is fit file.

Part of the fun of citystrides for me is the pretty suburb maps at the end so having long lines all over the place aren’t my vibe. But I can see how it works for others with function over form (:

2 Likes

Steve’s note of the cropping available in Strava should cover you here.

I want to add a link to this post, because it clarifies some of the ongoing conversation in this thread:

1 Like

Since @JamesChevalier informed of the new behaviour I made a small test today, on a quite straight street I paused my watch, ran past a couple of nodes, the restarted my watch. And I can see now that CS did indeed mark those nodes as completed, even if there are no GPS points close to them. Good to know. Means I’ll need to avoid pausing the watch and driving to a new location, then restart. Make two separate runs instead

1 Like

Thanks guys for continuing the discussion and reviewing the data. I had checked out the line thing in the past and thought they were counted so I’ll go back to being bugged that he is collecting nodes that he is just riding past :sweat_smile: but fortunately citystrides is not a competition for me and I can simply enjoy my journey to complete the local suburbs. Thank you for the concrete answer though!

Confirm hans1’s result by another example from Garmin where the straight line with paused track is considered:
Steffen19w23's activity on July 9, 2023 - CityStrides yields in completing “Neukirchner Weg” which is not true.
As told before splitting activities with (expected) 42+km is undesired because of achievement points in Garmin connect.
@JamesChevalier could you exclude path segments with length greater than 200m from processing?

1 Like