List streets by closest node

When planning my run, I tend to gravitate towards the streets closest to my current location so I can minimize driving. But the inverse within a city would also be helpful for days when I have more time.

Are you thinking of something like this, to give yourself a few streets to select from?

• Tap the ‘crosshairs’ button to place yourself on the map
  • View a list of incomplete streets sorted by distance away from you
1 Like

Yeah I think that would solve it, maybe a sorting option on the street list?

I like the idea of dropping a crosshair on the map.It would be useful for checking completion in areas where the node hunter hits the 1000 node limit because of the zoom level.

This slightly different phrasing brings up a whole different approach…

The “crosshairs” button in the top right of the map adds a blue dot to the map where you are & tracks your movement (super helpful when you’re out on a run and want to make sure you stay on a route).
This idea of clicking a spot on the map & having it display the closest streets from that location seems very useful as well. I’m thinking of a situation where you want to go run a neighborhood - the closest street from where you currently are could be in an entirely different direction.

1 Like

Hi James - Can we close/combine this idea thread to this similar one: Custom distance areas (not exactly a city)

I’d really like to bump up the visibility/votes on the other thread to make it more visible ;). I think having a “whats the nearest node(s) or unfinished street to my location” would be a useful feature.

Thanks!

This idea is more about finding existing streets in CityStrides that are within a certain distance of a given point. This thread isn’t including any kind of action that would add new streets to CityStrides, it’s only a way of viewing what’s already present.

The other idea is more about adding new areas to CityStrides due to the fact that sometimes cities aren’t mapped out. These new areas would include new streets that don’t yet exist in CityStrides.

That’s a good differentiation. I had read them as having similar usability, but they may be different implementations.
If I may say my new interpretation of what is intended:
This thread is “pick a point on the map and list streets (or displaying nodes, etc) in rank order by distance”
The other thread is saying “do a bounding box X distance away and call that an area. Tell me all the streets in that area”? I didn’t realize this would create a new boundary area that others could use. I thought it was a temporary area to generate the streets

Both still would meet my goal of seeing how far i need to run to get a new street. In one, i’d get a ranked list, in the second i’d iterate on a bounding box of increasing distance to find new streets (and pat myself on the back for achieving milestones of hitting all streets within 1k, 2k, 5k, from my house)