Limiting dates

Is there a way to remove runs? I just started and want to run all the streets in my city, but I only want to start counting runs this year (so 1/1/21). Is there a way to set the dates of the sync from Strava?

Hi and welcome.

I am not aware of a way to limit the import, but once importing is done, you can delete activities (here on CS). Of course this will be one by one, so maybe there is a better way. Note: The option to delete is on the imported activity’s (individual) page.

Eric

Hi!
Well, you could create a new Strava/garmin/etc. account that only has the runs from this year and connect this to CS. You can still sync the runs into your main account. Or upload the run to two accounts.

Depending on the amount of historical runs in CS, it might be easiest to disconnect from Strava and I believe it gives you the option to delete all previous historical syncs. Once you do that, you can reconnect and don’t import historical… so just from that day forward. Since we are pretty close to the beginning of the year, you could import the last weeks worth of runs individually… Go to Settings and towards the bottom (see image) you can import those missing runs that way.

1 Like

So far I have tried two things. I deleted runs I didn’t want on there, but when CityStreets syncs with Strava in imports everything again, so that doesn’t work. I’ve tried pausing syncing to Strava and then syncing just individual runs I want on city streets, but the indivudual synch won’t work if you have the overall sync paused. So I’m at a loss about how to do this. Is there really no way to only import some of my Strava runs instead of all?

Ahhh… I guess maybe the Garmin option is the only one that doesn’t auto sync historical. I started with Strava, so wanted all historical brought in, but then when there were the long delays in synching due to API call restrictions and @JamesChevalier got the Garmin connection working, I switched over to that, but didn’t sync historical. If you have Garmin, I would go that route, but if not, then I don’t see another way… at least in my limited knowledge of how this site is setup.

Correct, the data sync into CityStrides is built to do a full lifetime sync. The overall/top-level/main goal of CityStrides is to see if you can run every street in your city - being able to see your entire history of activities and how those play out in the cities they took place in.

I am (slowly) working towards providing a way for us to subset our lifelong progress via Challenges. Taking the main idea of CityStrides and applying a start date, an end date (which I’ve noticed I need to change to be optional), an optional city … This will allow people to set up all sorts of isolated efforts for themselves.
This is also where the time filtering feature came from - for many people, it was enough to just visually limit the activities shown on their LifeMap. It was a simple enough first step towards the bigger goal of being able to take on these time-based challenges.

When you connect Garmin to an existing account, it does not auto-sync your history. This is because many people didn’t want their full Garmin history automatically imported. You can do a full history sync from your settings, though.
If you join via Garmin, then your full history is automatically synced in (it just takes a while).

1 Like

The time filtering is indeed very helpful. My goal is to run all the streets, but also to track how many runs it takes me and how many miles I cover. But not very one of my runs Dan work toward that goal. So ideally I would only upload the runs toward the goal to city streets and not the other everyday runs. Someone suggested creating a second Strava account. And I might try that. Thanks.

I don’t think it’s worth the effort. It also limits you to any future additions, like a “king of the hill” type game on each street.

I am hoping to run all my streets in the calendar year, so I would love to be able to limit the dates as a separate “report”