In appreciation of the Route Builder

I only recently started using the route builder feature for paid supporters, and I think it is totally fantastic. I used to use Garmin’s route building feature (with Citystrides open in a separate window), but the features here, plus the node hunter makes it such a killer feature. By being able to download a gpx file, it’s so easy to share with friends and import into Garmin.

I am really impressed and thankful for all of James’ work.

9 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, I’ve also found it to be super useful. I like being able to see the distance while I’m building it, so I know that I’m not planning something I can’t handle.

I’m somewhat interested in getting them attached to cities, paired with some voting mechanism to bring out nice routes for people who are traveling. I’m also hesitant about the idea because of how these things usually go, with lists of hot garbage. :grimacing:

The other aspect that would be great to add is some amount of automation. Choosing a starting point and a distance, and letting it build something that completes as many streets as possible.

This is the original #ideas post/thread: Add a route suggester/builder

6 Likes

Speaking for myself, when I travel I have a few conflicting goals…

• finishing streets
  • having a route distinct enough to see on a zoomed out map,
  • running pretty patterns (see Washington DC),
  • running nice paths,
  • running 400m tracks.
1 Like

Automation is a very cool idea!

1 Like

It would be great if the route builder line wasn’t red since the nodes are red

1 Like

Sam, how do you import into Garmin? I am new to Garmin, so maybe I am missing something that is obvious. Thanks!

After building the route in CityStrides and saving it click the View button. Then download the gpx file.
On a computer log into Garmin Connect. Click on Training & Planning then on Courses
Right below the Create a Course button is a link that says Import
Drag your downloaded gpx file into the box, select Running from the dropdown and click Continue
Name and save your course then send to your device

3 Likes

Even easier:
Build the route on a computer, its ok on a mobile also.

Save citystrides as a shortcut on your phone, so its always logging in.

On the phone > routes > download GPX,on android I set the default to open with garmin connect>
select course > running > save course > send to device > select your garmin (if it has bluetooth /wifi)

Then its there.

4 Likes