How long does it take to update streets info from OSM?

I’ve made a change of an incorrect street in OSM a while ago. I see that CityStrides map is already updated, the incorrect street doesn’t show up anymore, however the GPS coordinates for this street are still incorrect. Will they be auto updated soon or needs to be requested to update manually?

Street: Colonial Oaks Drive, Los Altos, CA, USA

The map visual display is from Mapbox - they update that on their own schedule.
The data here in CityStrides updates from OSM roughly monthly.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply James. Just to confirm - I think it means the GPS coordinates will be auto updated with the next sync, right?

That’s right

1 Like

I have made many changes in OSM and Mapbox has updated these changes but CS has not updated these changes. I have read that CS updates regularly from OSM but some of my changes go back to April. I note that these are all Australian cities, and none of the cities in my region (Queensland) have a last update date. It is a blank field.

Thank you for pointing this out!
The code that selects which cities to update sorts by the last sync date … but it placed cities with null values at the end, where they would never be updated. :man_facepalming:

I’ve adjusted all of my city creation code to set the last sync date to ‘now’, which will properly place them in the queue. I’ve also set the last sync date to the city’s creation date for any existing city without a value (there were over 10k). This should place them in the queue correctly e.g. if they were created a while ago they should be further to the front of the queue than the cities I created yesterday.

2 Likes

Hmm… so how will adding 10K+ cities to the update queue affect the overall cycle do you think? I think most of mine have been updating every 30-45 days, so I didn’t know how long to estimate before the next update. I tend to try and do any OSM updates that I have collected at one time.

Doing some backhand math… likely not a lot. Currently there are ~194k cities imported into CS. So being conservative and rounding up to 11k new cities, that would mean there were ~183k previously being updated regularly. Adding 11k is +~6% more cities to process. With an ~40 day update cycle previously, adding 6% would mean new update cycle of ~42.4 days.
Note: This is a complete guess based on numbers I can see in UI and personal experience with update timeframe of my own cities.

1 Like

Does anyone know how long it’s currently taking between updates for cities? It’s been over 2 months since my local city was updated.

It was running roughly monthly for a while, then various things were slowing it more and more. I recently rewrote it & got it to a theoretical 2 week cadence, but the time it took to do the rewrite means a lot of changes have happened. It’s taking a while to catch up & I’m finding some issues with the new code around very large cities.
I expect I’ll eventually get it down to the 2-4 week range, it’s just going to take time & effort.

2 Likes

I’m on tenterhooks for London borough of Southwark! Reckon I’ve only got about ten streets to go once it updates…

Just to clarify, because the visual of the map and the underlying data (for the nodes) are on different update schedules, is this why I am seeing private roads that I have checked and then updated on OSM as private visually but still with nodes? As per below (Richmond/London).

That’s exactly my understanding (but I may be wrong). I have about 20 streets in the same scenario as your picture - greyed out to indicate a private street, but the nodes in citystrides still present.

Above occurs when mapbox updates are sooner than the update from OSM in CS. In time it will sync

1 Like

I edited OSM for Upper Saucon Township PA, USA, in mid January 2023 to add two new developments (one of which I walked) with a total of 7 streets. They still aren’t showing in City Strides (apparently missed on the late January sync). Any idea when they might appear?

After taking a look:

• Why are you adding tiger:* tags? these do not do what you think they do. TIGER fixup - OpenStreetMap Wiki These tags came from waaay back when a public database was imported and the tags were there as indication of the exact data that was imported.
  • The name and highway tags do look correct. Odd that they did not get imported in the January update. Since then, James had some trouble with the city update mechanism. It only got turned on again recently, so you might see an update soon. If things still do not appear then, it’s a bug and he should take a look into it.

Relatedly, how long does it take to update accessibility/availability of private nodes? A portion of this street

was marked “Access = private” at least a year ago, but the nodes still show up for Beverly Hills: Heath Avenue - CityStrides

Actually, upon a closer look, the previous change didn’t seem to include the right nodes, so I just edited OSM for the street. We’ll see when the map gets updated!

I just started editing in OSM not too long ago, and was unaware of the issue with tiger tags. I will read through your linked page and make appropriate edits.

I hope Upper Saucon is updated soon. :slight_smile: