Discussing 'nested' cities

For the global total, do you count the “mother city” or the nested cities within it?
For Brussels, the difference is 601 (5531 streets if you add up all the smaller units, and only 4930 if you take Brussels as a whole, disregarding the constituent parts). It might be explained by some streets running through several smaller units.

My global total decreased by ca. 900, which I assume means that you switched from summing up all the constituent parts to taking just the figure for the total. Is it correct? It does not explain all the decrease, but maybe the other disappearing streets are in the other nested cities (London? Budapest?).

It makes sense, but now my distance to the global Number 1 increased significantly - I was almost catching up :frowning:

Outside of activity pages, the stats around the site are based on the parent city.
It’s interesting that Brussels has fewer streets in its parent city than in its nested cities…

This is what is to be expected: if a street with the same name runs through several different subunits, then it counts separately in each of them, while only once for the parent city. What was surprising for me is how many of such streets there are in Brussels :-).
Thanks anyway for the explanation!

1 Like

:man_facepalming: right

1 Like

For Montreal, Canada we have:

Parent city: Montréal, Québec - CityStrides

Nested cities:
Westmount: Westmount, Québec - CityStrides
Montréal-Ouest: Montréal-Ouest, Québec - CityStrides
Côte-St-Luc: Côte-Saint-Luc, Québec - CityStrides
Hampstead: Hampstead, Québec - CityStrides

There’s also a bunch of other cities on the island of Montreal but I’m not sure if they would be considered as nested since they are not circled by streets of Montreal… (one side is water for most)
Montréal-Est: Montréal-Est, Québec - CityStrides
Dorval: Dorval, Québec - CityStrides
L’Île-dorval: L'Île-Dorval, Québec - CityStrides
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Québec - CityStrides
Kirkland: Kirkland, Québec - CityStrides
Beaconsfield: Beaconsfield, Québec - CityStrides
Baie-D’Urfé: Baie-D'Urfé, Québec - CityStrides
Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue: Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Québec - CityStrides
Senneville: Senneville, Québec - CityStrides

I think you have misunderstood the nested concept? This means there is one city, e.g. New York, but that also its sub-divisions (in this case boroughs) like Manhattan etc are listed as separate cities in CS. This means that e.g. Broadway is listed both in Manhattan and in New York.
As I’m looking in Wikipedia, Westmount is not a part of Montreal, it’s a separate city, so it’s not a nested city, just happens to be an enclave, surrounded completely by Montreal.
A nested city of Montreal could be an arrondissement like Verdun, but that will only happen if someone has set this up as different administrative levels in OSM, which does not seem to be the case

1 Like

Coming into this discussion a bit late I agree with you. However as somebody who’s currently running in “Montreal” but would rather have stats within an arrondissement what would need to change in OSM?

Since I see that there are boundaries for places defined, but don’t show in CityStrides.
Verdun – Relation: ‪Verdun‬ (‪8805573‬) | OpenStreetMap
Lachine – Relation: ‪Arrondissement de Lachine‬ (‪5363262‬) | OpenStreetMap

@JamesChevalier this “city” Saint-Gabriel-Cap-de-Caux, Normandie - CityStrides looks like it’s actually a parish. In CS it currently has a couple of nested cities, but it is also coincides geographically with Étretat, Normandie - CityStrides, which isn’t nested.
Would it be possible to either “nest” Etretat within Saint-Gabriel, or to remove Saint-Gabriel (and upgrade its nested cities to regular)?

I’m fairly sure I’m of the minority viewpoint in thinking this is trying too hard to fabricate an algorithm for something that has no basis in the real world. A ‘street’ is not an entity that “belongs to” a municipality (every one of us should be able to recall a place we ran where there was a clear line between old and fresh macadam witnessing where one municipality stopped its repaving project at what it thought was a fair approximation for its own perimeter), while the lat/lon of each OSM node has a direct relationship to the perimeter of the OSM municipality (independent of the accuracy of the polygon as a surrogate for municipal boundary). The node is either within the polygon, or it isn’t. Very computer-esque. I think CS giving credit for a given real-world named street in multiple peer municipalities where the nodes exist is a perfectly reasonable computer algorithm for the “problem” CS is trying to solve.

This idea of nesting cities in CS has all the earmarks of an un-maintainable nightmare, where ‘truth’ will be malleable and steeped in political intrigue and CS user debate. All this in the face of CS being ‘slaved’ to the often arbitrary and fact-deficient decisions made by the OSM editors. I think its a sufficiently complex problem just to define the complete set of non-overlapping municipal polygons for the earth’s surface so that each node’s lat/lon appears in exactly one polygon.

Minority report complete. :grin:

Nested cities make it possible to have more achievable goals in large cities while avoiding double counting; I think it’s a nice feature. As far as maintenance is concerned I think it’s mostly “set and forget”, since city borders are not updated based on osm. There is the occasional wrongly defined parent city like in my previous post, but on the whole it seems to do the job…

2 Likes

I agree! Working on Stockholm with 4300 streets, it’s very good to have the thirteen boroughs also in here as nested cities, makes it more manageable, finishing one after the other

Hi @JamesChevalier - a new job (sort of) has me running in some new areas, and I’ve noticed that Groton Connecticut has several neighborhoods masquerading as towns and leading to double counts towards my lifetime total.

All would qualify as nested cities if you wanted to go that route:

• Poquonock Bridge
  • Noank
  • Groton Long Point
  • Long Hill
  • Old Mystic

And one more closer to home - North Grosvenordale CT should be nested within Thompson

Thank you kindly!