Country-specific leaderboards

We have a global leaderboard; we have City leaderboards on each City page; but what we don’t have is anything in-between. Country leaderboard would be cool if they only count unique streets completed in each country, and would allow international striders such as myself to see how they break down on a nation-by-nation basis. Finally, it would allow (public) striders to identify each other more easily and collaborate or have friendly rivalries over their country-specific pride.

This sounds fun.
My instinct is to edit the country and region pages from the current mapless lists … to the split map/data view, with one tab for cities and one tab for striders … where the list of striders might behave a bit like the main Leaderboard page.

There’s a lot of detail for me to think through, because I may not necessarily have these stats on hand right now. I’ll need to research a bit.

6 Likes

An idea is when you look a Country leaderboard, only the roads of this specific country would count.
Don’t count the whole world roads to one country.

I like this idea. Why should someone show up in 2nd place in their own country to someone who has 15k streets in a different country and visited on holiday and went for one run.

It won’t affect me at all from a country standpoint, but it would on a US State/Region level. I’d love to know where I stack up on actual number of streets in my home state, not just how I stack up in overall streets against people who have run in my state.

6 Likes

This is actually the only thing that i want to be fixed, so if i had more votes i would use them on this.

I know a lot of danish striders from our FB community. In the Top 50 for Denmark, i think only 5 of them actually belong there, the rest is striders that have only finished a few streets in Denmark.

5 Likes

I agree. The country or where i am from state rankings doesn’t mean anything. Someone comes in town for a major marathon 1 time could rank higher then me.

2 Likes

If it’s data intensive calculations (read expensive), i could live with just monthly updates on the country leaderboard.

1 Like

Can we add the 16 votes from my post in 2022 as well? :sweat_smile: Country-specific leaderboards

4 Likes

100% agree. The country leaderboard really isn’t interesring at all currently. If only streets in specific country would count, it would be a fun leaderboard to track and climb.

3 Likes

I’ve got a “first draft” of this released now.
From any city page, the region and country names are both links to their respective pages. Click/tap those and it’ll default to the list of cities/regions that are in each place, respectively. There’s another tab on that page to show the list of people who have completed any streets in the viewed region/country. They’re all ordered by street count.

I strongly dislike the country page, now. I’m going to look into reworking that to be more like the Region pages. That release may include a better handling of Region/Country display on the map - they currently try their best to get those larger regions into view, but they don’t always do the best job.

If you’re joining this thread now, a lot of the comments are targeted towards the Leaderboard - CityStrides page. That page still exists, and it still focuses on the global ranking e.g. if the person in first place goes traveling for a month and completes one street in several different cities/regions/countries, they’re still going to rank first in all of those places in that page. I haven’t worked out a way to isolate rankings on that page, yet.

8 Likes

Awesome work! This is exactly what I wanted the country-specific leaderboard to be, great motivation to run outside by usual city borders now haha. Curious to what you mean by isolating rankings in the leaderboard section?

Small note that maybe subcity streets should not count. Duplicated count for the streets of the biggest city in Norway makes it pretty unfair at the moment. It has most streets in the country by far and is the only one with subcities. The Norway list is basically the Oslo leaderboard with one single exception

I agree, and it should be an easy fix. All the top 3 striders in Portugal have higher street count in country than total street count because of this, because we all run in Lisboa and get multi-counted nested streets.

Admittedly I have a hard time making sense of this change. So if I filter by the US and then NY I would expect to see my ranking for number of streets ran in NY, it instead seems to be a ranking of total streets (NY or not) by anyone that has ever run just one road in NY. Same with US or whereever

Personally I think as it stands now it isnt adding value. Having it mimic the leaderboards for a specific city you are working on (the preexisting feature) for your state or country makes more sense. Seeing who has run the most NY roads (and how many) is interesting, seeing who has the most roads anywhere that has once run in NY is not.

Anyways look forward to seeing where this goes.

1 Like

This is what James is saying he added. If you go to New York, United States - CityStrides and click on the striders tab, you can see all the striders who have run in the state ordered by their street count in New York only.

This is how the leaderboard page has always worked. James hasn’t figured out how to change it yet.

2 Likes

I see this is nice. I went to the leaderboards section instead of getting to NY by finding a city and using the breadcrumbs. Maybe it makes sense to find ways to explore these things easier from the profile page. Showing your various rankings on this page: Overall (what we have now), maybe your top country ranks and top city rankings with the abilty to drill down or pin them like you can with your cities.

Worth noting that it shows that I have more streets in the region than I do total streets. I see a few others with the same. I assume its from the nested cities issue double counting some roads.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 12.30.39 PM

Yeah, good catch - nested city stats shouldn’t be included. It took a while to figure out, but I just released the fix for that.

:rofl: I love these claims, made from outside any direct access to underlying data/structure. They’re fun claims because the person saying it cannot possibly know whether or not it’s easy, but if it isn’t easy then that external expectation can be a helpful/useful indication that something might be able to be changed to make it easy.
(This ended up being somewhat easy, assuming its performance is decent, with most of the difficulty in me forgetting that relations between data could be adjusted in the way I had to adjust them :nerd_face:)

Probably, yeah - especially as the region/country pages gain more functionality. That’s worth a separate post in Ideas if one doesn’t already exist

Sorry…I assumed it would be easy because it is an ‘echo’ of a previously-resolved street count issue. But it’s true I don’t know anything about coding and shouldn’t assume what’s easy or difficult.

:sweat_smile: I do hope my tone came across as positive. You’re regularly present as a helpful contributor here, so you do have some ‘social capital’ in that I don’t perceive you as coming out of nowhere telling me how easy my day is going to be :rofl: and it is a good indication when something seems easy to someone else that - if it isn’t - maybe something can change to make it easy.

5 Likes

I can only imagine how complicated getting this data and keeping it up to date in a timely fashion can get!

Speaking of which…how about totals for each region? :). I am curious to see total counts by state/country etc.

Apologies, I don’t quite follow. Can you clarify this request for me?
I’m seeing New York, United States - CityStrides showing you have completed 5687 in that state.