Streets versus nodes goals

Just for fun topic.

Say you’re visiting a new city/town for a week to a month, so no way to get 100%. Do you maximize streets completed (ie go for short streets) or nodes/%-of-city completed (ie go for long, winding streets)?

Obviously no right answer, but I’ll be travelling around this summer and wanted to hear others’ thoughts on what they maximize for if there isn’t time for both!

2 Likes

I’d vote neither. Just run for funsy and hit any cool places/attractions.

1 Like

This happened to me in October, we rented and Airbnb in Algarve, Portugal for 2 weeks and I ran every day - I decided to try and explore at first the area near our rural cabin just north of São Bartolomeu, and after I had my bearings, I went for creating the most interesting local LifeMap I could, like running to the tip of the jetty on the national border with Spain :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I would try to get wide as possible blue lines. So long circle north the long circle west for next run etc. This way the city lights up as much as possible on your life map.

4 Likes

I would have to say I go for knocking off as many streets as I could, otherwise I would not get any percentage at all for that city. :wink: That being said, I would go for interesting areas to, i.e. along water or old parts of the city.

I’m kind of with you, Eric.

If the area is rich/diverse in sights and interesting things I would probably prioritize seeing what I wanted to see on the run.

If I am just staying in an area without much to see/do on my runs, I will probably try and get enough to get some % complete.

If where I am staying is not in a “city” I will try and see interesting things while also getting as many unique purple lines as possible.

2 Likes

I agree with others. If it’s a remote city where my percentage is irrelevant then I’ll prioritize making some pretty purple lines on the map - ideally a big rectangle/circle which will look cool on my lifemap. Doing 20 cul-de-sacs in 1km radius doesn’t look cool on lifemap :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one :wink:

There is only so much you can take doing runs like that, though.

4 Likes

Yeah, THAT looks cool! :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my nicer runs, 10 km. Never cross my own path, never run the same street twice, and still never more than one km away from home! And completing 36 streets

4 Likes

Great ideas for Christmas/New Years/Summer getaways.

If I am staying somewhere for a few days on holiday I would run all the streets directly around where I’m staying so I can look back in the future and go ‘oh yeah that’s where we stayed!’ and then I would branch out and do some scenic areas near by. But I’d like to do a sort of radiating circle outwards if the streets and cool places line up with that somewhat.

1 Like

I was visiting Albuquerque, New Mexico a few months ago and did my own Breaking Bad tour running streets around some of the more popular sites from the show. I definitely enjoy using Citystrides as part of my vacation planning.

4 Likes