Strava status icon on every page?

It seems like a large number of sync “issues” are either caused by not knowing that the Strava API calls are used up for the day or not knowing that there may be a delay in processing due to priority.

Maybe there is there a way to add an icon to the header bar that turns red when Strava is used up, or shows each user that they have data queued but that it can’t be processed because of quotas?

This idea isn’t fully fleshed out yet, but there are so many posts about “why” and then "I it ‘sync now’ three times it would be nice if there were something more prominent.

True, it seems like very few people see the ‘status’ entry in the left menu. Not that “status” tells you a hell of a lot about what’s going to be on the other side of that link…

I don’t have a ton of space in that menu bar, and in some mobile devices I’m done and it’s all used up. I agree with you that the status needs to be more visible, but I don’t have a plan.
Maybe another data point on the logged-in homepage?
:man_shrugging:
Hopefully others reading along have ideas.

1 Like

Is there a hard limit on the Strava API that you can’t go up from? Possible to integrate with Garmin Connect to deal with the bottleneck (which I assume will grow as the site grows). After the initial Strava import is there any value to glean from it (aside from maybe the run/walk title)

Is there a hard limit on the Strava API that you can’t go up from?

Yes: CityStrides

Possible to integrate with Garmin Connect to deal with the bottleneck (which I assume will grow as the site grows).

Yes, but their API is quite a bit more complicated due to the nature of their not-necessarily-always-connected devices

After the initial Strava import is there any value to glean from it (aside from maybe the run/walk title)

I’m not quite sure what the question is. I definitely benefit from having the activity locally - if I want to do any future features, I already have that data as opposed to having to resync all users again.

Hi Sorry, I realize there is a limit you are at currently, didnt know if that was something with expanded tiers or something you could get approval to go higher on. I guess it was less and question and I was largely curious if you had a solution in mind since it keeps falling further behind (or so it seems). I was mentally dumping that Garmin connect seemed like maybe an alternate sync option with less constraints than Strava (although Strava pulls from many platforms which obviously simplifies things for you too). Anyways as a programmer myself I understand its complicated and want your site to be successful :slight_smile:

Hi Sorry, I realize there is a limit you are at currently, didnt know if that was something with expanded tiers or something you could get approval to go higher on.

Oh, yeah, I applied for a rate limit increase & was denied.

I guess it was less and question and I was largely curious if you had a solution in mind since it keeps falling further behind (or so it seems).

It’s largely connected to new signups, because I do a full account sync right away. If people with a lot of activities sign up, that’ll use a lot of the API calls for that day.
I think I’m going to need to figure out some kind of throttled initial import. I may only allow a certain number of new signups per day. It’s that or limit the number of synchronized activities per day, but I really don’t like the thought of a new CityStrides member not being able to fully enjoy the site until a few days have passed.

I’m also decently close total capacity. Right now, there are 9909 Strava members in CityStrides. If everyone has an activity per day, I would make about 19k API calls per day (I make one call for the activity, and another call for its geo data).

I was mentally dumping that Garmin connect seemed like maybe an alternate sync option with less constraints than Strava (although Strava pulls from many platforms which obviously simplifies things for you too).

Yeah, that’ll probably eventually be the way to go … I’m just not psyched about how wildly different their API interaction is (deservedly so; their devices aren’t necessarily net-connected). It’s going to be a whole Project, as opposed to the three tracking services I’ve integrated with so far - those all follow the same basic pattern.

Anyways as a programmer myself I understand its complicated and want your site to be successful

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m a Garmin user. If you ever connect to Garmin Connect, I’ll switch over immediately to free up some Strava calls. (It’s not much, but it’s what I can do.)

2 Likes

How about incentivising people to connect via Runkeeper (I’m guessing no API limit) or MapMyRun (not near hitting limits based on the frequency of complaints here)? This would take some pressure off the Strava API limit and it’s just a set-up-and-forget for the user… Maybe one month free supporter status would do it?

Each service has their own limit(s).

I’d rather not get into the conversation of which service is “better” (in quotes because everyone has their own needs).

I appreciate that you’re thinking up ideas and options. :heart:

1 Like

I didn’t mean that people should change which service they use, just which one they use to connect to citystrides. Garmin will happily push activities to Strava and another simultaneously, so it’s just a case of signing up to another service on top. You also get to tell Strava “look what you’re making me do” when you have the next discussion about limits :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Have you tried this @8f7162110d9eeaf907ab? I was just looking into MayMyFitness for the same reason. Selfishly, I should see my activities load way faster. Selflessly, it should (very slightly) reduce the load on the Strava API.

@JamesChevalier- how would CityStrides process a change in source application? For example, pushing activities to MapMyFitness from the Garmin app would definitely show up in CityStrides, but would that disconnect historical Strava activities?

@davemorin I set up a Strava account (my default is Runkeeper) and linked it to my Garmin account, and it was importing activities no problem. I didn’t try with a new activity or with MapMyRun but if one combination works the other should as well? I also didn’t try setting a different source in CS, so I don’t know if and how that part works.

For someone switching source, it would be useful to have some sort of “import activities starting today” toggle to avoid having to reimport activities.

In any case, it’s not a particularly tidy solution, but if Strava won’t budge on the limits some sort of load balancing is worth considering imo :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Not sure which of these threads has more value, but they are very similar, at least in original purpose, but votes may be split between the two.