Single activity sync Strava gone?

Hi, I regularly use the single activity sync feature for Strava. But now it seems to be gone. The Garmin one is still there… @JamesChevalier can you have a look at what happened?

:thinking: and it worked for you?

I disabled it in a recent release after noticing that I did not hide the UI if the Strava connection was paused. I’d expect that to not work if your Strava connection is paused…

Update: :person_facepalming: I just noticed that the single-activity sync feature purposefully lets these requests through. I’ll revert that change in the next release (which is going out now, and will take a few minutes to complete).

1 Like

Yes, thanks James. It’s working again.

Hi James, the single activity sync for Strava is gone again. Could you please have a look?

The single activity sync UI does not appear if the service is paused

Reading back in this thread, it’s a bit confusing:

One June 30, I added the feature to MapMyFitness connections … This work also refactored things in a way that let all services reuse the same code … That rule of ‘do not show the UI if the service is paused’ was applied across the board

This rule is the correct decision and will remain, going forward, because subsequent code (after submitting the form to request the single activity sync) does exit early if the service is paused

Bummer, I found it quite convenient to be able to selectively sync an activity from Strava.

Yes, that’s a bummer.

Also, to me it doesn’t make any sense. under normal circumstances, when a service is not paused activities sync automatically, so then there’s no need to selectivity sync an activity. Where as when the service is paused you would always need a selective sync to get any activity into CS.

Let’s keep this discussion going, then - there’s obviously some use case here that I’m not seeing that’s useful for you. I’d like to learn more about your use of this feature…
In the meantime, I’ll review the code path to see what I can do to let this feature continue to work in a paused state. Heck, maybe I misread things earlier and it does work in a paused state.

I’ve always understood the feature to be a very rare thing to use. I mainly expected it to be used to fix old activity GPS tracks (like those cases where you don’t stop the activity and then drive home), or in odd cases where the activity isn’t automatically synced in for some reason.

Can you give some detail around the situation where you don’t want new activities synced in from a service and then you do want one?

Garmin is my main citystrides sync ever since (I think) the covid influx made the Strava sync very delayed/rate limited. I believe we were advised to switch to Garmin if possible. Strava CS sync is paused. All Garmin activities also go to Strava. I don’t really use Garmin Connect, but I like that all data in it is only data I got from my watch. Strava is the “hub”.

From time to time I’ll have recorded something elsewhere (e.g. if I forget watch) and only record it with or sync it to Strava, not Garmin. If that is a run or walk, I like to sync it from there to CS. I’ve found the Strava single activity sync handy for the few times I needed it. Sure it is not a every day occurrence, but that makes sense for a manual sync.

1 Like

Yes, for me a similar story: Garmin 's my main watch. but every now and then I also use the Strava app to record an activity. And I also have a Samsung watch as backup. That one doesn’t sync to Garmin connect, but does so to Strava.

And a few weeks back there appeared to be an issue with Garmin connect sync, I bypassed that with manual syncing from Strava.

It’s not often, but I definitely found it very useful sometimes.

1 Like

I was able to figure out a way to keep the single activity sync feature available while a service is also paused. That’s live now.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your use of this feature - it helps a bunch.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you James!