Show friend name on hover

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 09.13.25

Most of my friends do not have an avatar. There is no telling who is who without opening the link (or remembering user ids). This makes the friends list annoying to use (both on profile page and on your own user profile). I see two possible solutions:

• Quick and simple: show the name when hovering. This would not work on mobile though.
  • Add some extra information to the avatars. Maybe generate a unique image for those that do not have their own. Or use their initials in the image or something.

I donā€™t know from the top of my head whether this issue presents itself elsewhere in the site unrelated to the friends list.

Great timing - my current project is this (currently horrific) Friends display.
The next release will include changes to these profile images - the personā€™s initials will appear over the 50% opaque CityStrides logo.

2 Likes

I just released this along with the revamped Friends display on the logged-in homepage.

2 Likes

Reviving this thread, sorry!

Current ā€œFriendsā€ tab, on my profile page, is still showing the very cute, but very mysterious, unnamed blobs.

Can we change this UI so their names are visible without clicking through them? Hover also seems to do nothing, now?

No need to apologize.

I think the dynamic avatars for people who havenā€™t uploaded an image is better than the initials/logo, but it definitely re-broke this list.

Iā€™ll need to think through the best way to identify these people. A few things compete with each otherā€¦

• Names are too long to display within the available space
  • Overlaying the personā€™s initials over the dynamic avatar is ugly and busy
  • Hover behavior isnā€™t ideal due to most people using the site on mobile devices

Maybe I need to move away from the compact ā€˜storiesā€™ style UI, and build a more compact ā€˜card listā€™ version.

1 Like