Sheffield UK - A road you should avoid!

Hey fellow CityStriders, there’s a node marked lane in Dore, Sheffield that I visited last week, the entrance is just above 100 Dore Road. I have seen horses been ridden in and out if there so, assuming it was a Bridleway to Ecclesall Woods, I checked it out to tick it off my map.

For your own safety, don’t try it, I received an expletive-deleted “Gerroff my Land” from a, rather unpleasant, Mr. & Mrs. Farmer and their dogs, so turned around and legged it!

Sorry, I don’t have the ability to adjust the openstreetmap info, but I’ve added two photos and the location references below.

Safe Striding, Jim

Lane marked as - Farnsworth Ryecroft Farm
Grid reference SK315817

I’ve set it to Access=private in OSM

3 Likes

On behalf of other Sheffielders - thanks Hans :+1:

2 Likes

Interesting. I always thought all, or most, of the UK was 'open access land ’ or 'access land ', and everyone could roam most everywhere, with a very few exceptions.

Hello Eric,
Not always. Farmers and landowners have the right to close their land sometimes. This may be for land management, public safety, or conservation reasons. Open access land may also be closed at times of exceptional fire risk. OK, those are the Peak District Open Access rules, but if a farmer decides you’re not coming on his land he can be a complete arsehole and make you as unwelcome as he likes - just like this bloke! It’s not a public road to his farm, it’s a private drive (or so he’s decided) so there’s no right of access. A bridleway is a sort of road, but not for motorised vehicles meaning you can walk or ride a horse or cycle which is what I assumed it was. Sheffield’s a great city, there’s plenty more roads to walk, so I’ll leave that to him and enjoy the rest! Nice to see someone read my first post. Jim

2 Likes

Scotland has an “open access” strategy. England is the absolute opposite. Aside from the designated parks all land is considered “private” and is unwelcome from access unless there is a designated right of way.

1 Like

I usually check the Definitive Map before heading down a farm track. If it doesn’t have a PROW then I’ll avoid it.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for that very interesting info on lands across the pond. Always fun to learn new things.

Eric

1 Like

@ericjrw - some light reading for you :slight_smile: English landowners have stolen our rights. It is time to reclaim them | George Monbiot | The Guardian

1 Like

@tzruns Thanks for that interesting read. I especially liked the part that said, by closing access to lands, illegal/unpermitted operations might go totally undiscovered.

Hello Hans, you sorted a road out for me in Sheffield UK last year, it was a farm track marked with nodes that has an unpleasant farmer at the bottom! You took the red dots off it for safety. I cannot do this to a road, I am an ex-runner, now walker and too old for technology like OSM. I wonder if you could help with another problem road in Sheffield please? This is called Doctor Lane (Ln) near the canal in Darnall.
I’ve attempted to walk it twice, but it is, totally, inaccessible at the SW end on Darnall Road. The NE end is the entrance to a waste recycling yard and, completely NO GO to the general public, even Hi-Vis wouldn’t save me from the lorries coming in and out if there. Can you remove the red dots on here please, before a fellow strider attempts it and gets hurt? Here are 3 photos of the top entrance off Clement St. thanks in advance, Jim Fulton, Sheffield :uk:

Hi Jim! Are you saying the whole street should be marked as access=private?

Ok, I’ve set it to private access in OSM, so it should be gone after next update

1 Like

Hello Hans, sorry I have taken so long to respond. Doctors Lane is no longer accessible from either end, it was a small lane in the late 1800s named as that because it linked an early medical facility in the industrial East end of the town with the doctor’s house. It has become enclosed within a huge, recycling facility, to which the public are not allowed. The first part cannot be walked along by anyone, it is a vehicular access road for trucks filled with scrap metal for recycling. The East end of the lane is somewhere in that photo taken from Clement Street, the western end finishes somewhere in the yard before reaching the boundary fencing adjacent Darnall Road. So - no it is not accessible to anyone anywhere now.