Running or walking?

Hello CityStriders,

Happy New Year!

I’m just curious if there’s some information on how many % of CityStriders is actually running / walking / hiking / a combination of those. I’m a walker myself and started coloring the map of my home town (Otwock), nearby Warsaw and some other places in Poland. Too bad I don’t have much competition over here, but for now I love this!

BR
Arno

5 Likes

I do all 3 but I’m typically running new streets vs walking. For hiking “red lining” I think has been a thing for a long time now. I use CityStrides to see what trails I’ve missed in the Adirondacks and try to take alternate routes up mountains.

2 Likes

I started out mostly running, except for walks with my wife.

Then I tore the meniscus in my knee, so only walked.

Now I would say I’m up to 25% running, 75% walking, but am slowly adding more running.

Somewhere in the ideas forum there was a proposal for different color lines on the lifemap, based on how the lines were made (activity type).

I would prefer the lines not be different colors. I think it would be ugly and pointless tbh.

Sorry about your meniscus, did you need surgery? I tore mine last winter hiking a mountain. I dont even know how. I just thought I had overdone it until I couldnt bend my leg the next day. Thought I needed surgery for sure but a cortisone shot did the trick. My doctor was like, just degeneration from getting older. It took some time but I can’t even tell now.

1 Like

I run streets that I haven’t run before, and then run/walk streets that I’ve previously run, just to help me recover and cover more distance. That said, I don’t have too many mountains in my city, otherwise I would definitely walk them, as I’m yet to progress to being a mountain runner. :slightly_smiling_face: I also have a lot of small dead-end/cul-de-sacs to do, and for some reason, running those feels less strange than walking. As for different colours for different activities, if you could toggle that setting then I’d prefer that.

Steve

1 Like

@dallas.devries Thank you. I did not need surgery. Just thoughtful recovery (no running). Slowly adding more running, and loosing Christmas cookies calories, is my 2023 plan.

Happy New Year!

Eric

1 Like

Thanks for your answers guys!
I’m not running myself - I’ll admit I simply don’t have the condition to do so. Walking 20km is fine with me, running 1km… well I think I’d need an ambulance then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m also one of those who only walk. I’m currently #1 in my city and in the top 100 globally on the CityStrides leaderboard. That shows walking doesn’t have to be a disadvantage compared to running, which I originally thought would be the case.

3 Likes

Top 100 with walking is super impressive just based on the time commitment.

2 Likes

I run once or twice a week and walk the dogs on other days. Sometimes go for a lunch break walk depending where I am. It’s interesting to mix it up plus citystrides encourages me to get out and explore new places.

2 Likes

Great question! I’m a walker, and have become quite obsessed with ‘ticking off’ streets on CityStrides. I love that it makes me walk routes that I would never normally go. :walking_woman:

6 Likes