Running a city got me on TV and the paper

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2019/08/28/running-every-road-in-town/

Thanks James for your awesome website! Couldn’t have done it without your hard work.

Duran

10 Likes

Damn I just came here to post this! Congrats! Did you 100% the city in CityStrides? Including buildings, or only streets? How’s the data quality in New West?

Thanks! One reason I stayed away from Burnaby was your incredible effort there. Amazing stuff. I think I’ll need to start it soon as I am getting restless.

No, didn’t get 100% in New West. Only 98.4% as the rest are waterways and 1 building that I cannot fully access. Data quality is great, but about 10-20% buildings/waterways I’d estimate. Flagging but no luck yet in getting them removed… did you ever have luck in successfully removing buildings/waterways?

No, I never flag anything. For me the entire fun of city strides is getting the hard to reach stuff. Running streeets is cool but too easy. Like in Burnaby I ran every alley and pretty much every lane of every parking lot. I might eventually flag some of the really stupid stuff (like Refinery burners), but generally I leave the flagging to others. I told James don’t remove anything that I’ve completed!!

I have seen a few streets removed. Like I think Colin flagged the Trans-canada in Burnaby (I could have run that one) and James removed it.

Oh noooooo :scream:
The work I’m doing right now is going to completely remove all the bad (non-street) data in one fell swoop.
I’m sorry @supermitch but I feel like this is a step in the right direction for the site.

3 Likes

Part of me is on Mitch’s side… it was totally fun to figure out how to nab the buildings, highways and other landmarks. But on the other hand, I do want to get to a perfect 100%. I’m not ready to get in a canoe or tresspass into properties to get the last 1.6% in New West.

But overall, I think James has to do this in order to make this site more mainstream…

You should commit and run the Trans-Canada while you can! Hardcore! I did some highway but super short sections.

It’s entirely understandable, from a site-wide point of view, to want accurate data. I’ll live with it. There are 100’s of thousands of km’s of nearby cities I can run roads in, too :slightly_smiling_face:

@duranc yes, the trans-canada would be sketchy but I think I could run the the vast majority of it through Burnaby by bush-wacking just next to the shoulder. Might have to do both sides though to reach all the nodes. Would be pretty hardcore.

@supermitch The nice part is that all the non-street stuff that you run will still show on your LifeMap. I do the same thing with trails in each town. I run them, but don’t get credit for the number of trails I run. That’s ok; the LifeMap shows the extent of your accomplishment. Keep up the good work!

Trans Canada would be plain nuts. I have Hwy 99 and a good section of the Trans Canada in Surrey and I’m not touching those. If the trucks didn’t get me my wife would murder me for attempting it.

I had to flag two of the boundaries for White Rock as they were way out in the ocean.