Route Builder Quirks

In the strictest sense I think the below are bugs, but the relative importance/priority is so low as to be suggestions of something to work on when there’s nothing else to do as opposed to anything serious to chase. I’m listing three items only in case they are related in the logic or in the same coded module.

1. There is some sequence of events where the route builder looses track of whether it is in “straight line” or “follow roads” mode. I wish I could be more helpful on the interactions leading up to it, but I’ve stumbled on it a several times. Its not crippling as you just have to remember the displayed glyph is opposite of what you are actually doing, but it otherwise works fine in this regard.

2. As impressive and extremely useful as the ‘undo’ capability is, there are some sequence(s) of events where the ‘stack’ of things to undo seems to get corrupted. Frequently, I have to click ‘undo’ 2-3-4 times to get it to remove the most recent ‘leg’ of the route. I have no idea what it thinks it is un-winding. Similar, but potentially not the same exact problem, there are times (after some undo-ing and perhaps other interactive events) when you click to add a new ‘leg’ endpoint to a partial route and the drawn start of that additional leg is disjoint with the already drawn sequence of legs. Also not crippling as it has a workaround where you just trash the existing route and start over.

3. I agree with others who have suggested the Route-Builder route color be different than the red node finder icons color. I end up clearing all node finder icons, adding another few segments to the route and then telling the node finder to hit the database yet again (not performance friendly). 0x00FF00 (a web portable green) appeals to my sensibilities to avoid confusion with existing-track blue, but I’m the absolute wrong guy to be choosing an appropriate color.

Problem #2 is a big bugaboo for me as well.

I’ll add one that I’ve mentioned in the past: #4: the route builder menu on LifeMap is right next to the CityStrides drop-down menu and if you click it by accident the route in progress is lost. Also, the trash can ‘delete route in progress’ button is right next to ‘undo’ and I’ve hit it accidentally many times. There should either be a “are you sure you want to abandon the route in progress?” popup to prevent this in both cases.

1 Like

Yeah, bug # 2 happens frequently for me as well, using Firefox on my mac. Here’s an example:

I think one improvement would be to show the “clicks” that are present, not just the routes (e.g. the “route nodes”, not to be confused w/ street nodes).

1 Like

I’ve been trying to recreate this, and I’ve been completely unsuccessful. :slightly_frowning_face:

If you’re ever able to figure out a step-by-step reproducible display of this issue, that would be a huge help … I suspect it’ll be nearly impossible, though. I’m guessing there’s something around network calls, maybe page transitions, and maybe the speed of dropping route clicks. :thinking:

Are any of you are also navigating to different pages in the site while building a route? For example, starting to build a route on an activity page, then going to a street page, then going to its city page.

I did figure out how to add confirmation to the delete button - that’ll be in the next release.

No navigating away. I did have some luck reproducing right now with a quick double-clicking instead of single-clicking to place a new node.

The first click places the “line”, the second rapid click zooms in slightly, and the first segment of line disappears.

Here I double clicked on the corner of 23rd and 31st, the rest were single clicks.

I’ve been trying to recreate this, and I’ve been completely unsuccessful. :slightly_frowning_face:

Happens semi-frequently for me. Seems to be whenever either my internet is unreliable or route builder has some lag in processing, and I’ve sent more than one “order” to the route builder before the previous one resolved. It’s tricky because sometimes I’m not sure if my trackpad tap registered or not, and I’m sitting there dreading tapping again in case the line will appear in a few seconds.

Not navigating to other pages while this is happening.

W.r.t. navigating to a ‘different page’ theory, my observations of these quirks have rarely if ever happened in conjunction with dubious intervening browser interactions within CityStrides itself, but its well within reason to wonder if I went to a different browser tab (for a different website) and/or switched process context to a different application like Excel and then came back sometime during route construction. I also don’t keep multiple browser tabs open on CityStrides, to eliminate such a theory. I happen to use MS Edge, for completeness. Even though I have a reasonably fast reliable connection to my ISP, your difficulties in reproducing some of this makes end-to-end network lag a leading contender for causes.

Yeah, it’s very likely a network issue. I had this happen to me once while doing some local development, so it was “great” (for lack of a better word) to see this first hand & be able to reasonably point to network lag being the cause.
Firefox has some dev tools that can adjust throttling, so once I have a minute I’m going to work with that. Maybe I can add some kind of currentlyWaiting boolean that blocks further route building until the previous response was returned … will probably need some kind of timeout, because [waves hands at everything]

1 Like