Rework the Christchurch, New Zealand import from OSM

Hi James

Would it please be possible to add the following city (Christchurch, New Zealand) to your database …

This city already exists in you database as larger relation/city as shown below.

However, this existing relation/city includes many, many miles of rural/country and sometimes un-runnable roads that are in no way part of the “city” itself. Adding the new relation/city would better represent the runnable streets of the city itself. This is City Strides after all :slightly_smiling_face:

Fair - I could remove the existing “city” and replace it with these two:

I’m currently in an effort to speed up the processing that happens after creating/updating cities. After I have this released, I plan on doing a large batch of city additions. This change will be included in that.

1 Like

Fantastic. That sounds like a great solution. I look forward to the update.

Many thanks.

Hi James

Any update on when this might happen?

Regards

Thanks for bringing this back up :sweat_smile:

After a quick look around, I’m wondering if Relation: ‪Christchurch‬ (‪2730349‬) | OpenStreetMap is the best city addition or if these should be added instead:

Hi Charles

Yes, adding those relations is an option I guess but they are really only part of the whole city. Seeing how one is progressing for the whole city would be the primary aim for most runners I would imagine. However, seeing how one is progressing for sections of the city would also be interesting. I can see this is done for other major cities. I would imagine you have a better understanding of what people want. Your decision. Is it possible to have all - the best of both worlds?

Cheers