Removing nodes from 50 car lanes in a ferry terminal

:link: My profile link : • John Cockburn - CityStrides

Hi there, Recently someone must have updated OSM since all the car lanes (all 50 of them…) where people wait for the ferries at Swartz Bay terminal in N Saanich BC are now showing as incomplete for me. I’m loathe to edit OSM on such a grand scale but access is private unless you are catching a ferry so I’m unsure how to proceed. Any suggestions are most welcome since I went from having completed N Saanich to having 50 odd streets/car lanes to complete… Thanks, John.

I don’t usually edit people’s posts, but I noticed that you wrote all your text within the comment which hides it from view. I cut/pasted it outside of the comment, below your profile link - now people can read & help. :+1:

1 Like

Two aspects:
If you change access to customers, they will not be included in CS
The numbers are not really a name… I had a similar situation in a smaller scale here OpenStreetMap
The lanes were named A, B, C etc. I was advised by OSM pros to moved the index to a Ref tag instead, and leave name empty. This also makes them disappear from CS

1 Like

Here’s a direct link for one of those example ways: Way: ‪A‬ (‪1101876346‬) | OpenStreetMap

Also, for anyone new to OSM reading along - you can zoom into an area, right click, and choose “Query features” to get two lists:
A) roads, borders, etc near where you right clicked … useful for viewing a specific street’s tagging without having to use search which can send you over to a different way record with the same name
B) all the different levels of areas that enclose where you right clicked … useful for figuring out which city/region/country you’re looking at - I use this a lot when people report missing cities

2 Likes

Thanks James - really appreciate that. Would have been wondering why I was the only person on the whole forum not to get a reply! ; )

1 Like

Thanks Hans - I have removed the numbers in the lanes. I have asked for the changes to be reviewed prior to those going live in OSM.

That “ask for review” thing is misleading … The edits aren’t actually held back from going live in OSM, and - last I heard - nobody is actually alerted of the request for review.

Is this one of your edited Ways? Way: 1022106388 | OpenStreetMap if it is, you’ll see how the name is removed. Following along from Han’s note, though, you may want to re-add the numbers as a ref tag instead of completely removing them.

1 Like

You were certainly right - went live pretty quick! Yep, that’s one of mine. I am chipping away at adding the nos. as a ref tag. Thanks again James.

1 Like

@jcockburn That is an impressive terminal. Good catch on making it something one does not have to run!

1 Like

So I just checked back in OSM & I must be missing a step. If I add the nos. as a ref tag they show up again at the top under name. If I delete the number there that then removes the ref tag I added. OpenStreetMap Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Take a look at my example Way: ‪B‬ (‪1101876349‬) | OpenStreetMap
The tags should be like this

1 Like

Thanks Hans - here’s a screenshot of my issue -

1 Like

Yes, remove the tag name=3 and instead put tag ref=3, like you see in my example

2 Likes

Thanks Hans. That did it! Really appreciate your patience.

3 Likes