Ranking in profile

I like the idea of most nodes.
Or least. Might make for some interesting ratio metrics.

Having the ranking (by number of streets) would be great - and compared to all striders, not just those with public profiles.
AFAICT for now you can just manually rank yourself compared to the striders with public profiles, but it would be good to see even for them what their ranking is against all striders, not just the ones with public profiles.
I guess for privacy reasons you might want to obscure this if there are few striders for a given region??

1 Like

Node count is a poor metric, because the number of nodes on a given street is highly dependent on how is happens to be spec’ed on OSM. For example, a very curvy street might use many more nodes than a straight one.

In fact, a truly nefarious strider could game their stats by simply going into OSM and adding zillions of nodes to a handful of streets.

2 Likes

Good point… It’s amazing the lengths some people will go through to be at the “top.”

Another option for this idea would be a graphical output (probably a histogram) showing the distribution of number of streets run. Garmin Connect has an analogous display for weekly mileage and other stats.

1 Like

I was playing around with PostgreSQL’s RANK function, and I’ve figured out a decently inexpensive way to accomplish this (and a few other things). :tada:

Relatedly, I was not emotionally prepared to see that the :1st_place_medal: Strider has completed more than 12k streets, or that the :2nd_place_medal: Strider has run in 20 countries.

Also relatedly, I’m realizing how much of a backlog of great #ideas there are - that global update effort really blocked things up for a while. I’m psyched to finally get back to adding/changing things in ways that actually affect everyone’s day-to-day use of the site. :rocket:

7 Likes

Emotionally in a good way or a bad way?

1 Like

In a good way! It’s amazing what you all accomplish. I was just trying to be funny, really - those numbers are astronomical to me.

2 Likes

Suggestion: display the rank as a percentile when you aren’t in the top N.

My rank is 1833. Is this low? High? Meh? I have no idea how many people are active here. And since new people sign up all the time, my progress may be improving yet the rank may even be decreasing when new people happen to be ranked higher.

With a percentile, I would know my relative ranking. E.g. 42% would indicate I’m ranked above 42% of all users.

Perhaps show only the percentile when under 90%, show only the rank when above 99%, and otherwise show them both?

2 Likes

cool numbers and graph!
one thing i mentioned somewhere else in these forums, i have 100+ cities, but half of those 10 pages of cities is 0,0%, so nno actual streets, even in progress. Is it possible to get rid of those? Most i guess are there since i deleted runs after they were registered in a specific city

1 Like

I like the percentile idea but one issue I can think of is that there may be lots of latent users that created a CityStrides account and didn’t keep the enthusiasm, aren’t active and/or updating, or perhaps never did a history sync anyways.

So to make it more informative, could have some filter for active users, however that would be defined: has an activity tracker linked and at least 1 upload in the last month, or at least N in the last 6 months; or some arbitrary minimum threshold of streets completed (50? 100?) to be included in the population for calculating percentile.

1 Like

Very cool to have the ranking, thank you!
I’m a bit surprised by some of the numbers though. I saw a strider with 3 completed streets, with rank ~2500. If I’m reading that right, that means that over 90% of users have completed 3 or fewer streets? I was expecting a very biased distribution, but that seems extreme :laughing:

I’m going to add “Percentile” next to “Global Rank”, with the percentage displayed above it. Hopefully people know what percentiles are, and I don’t get a lot of emails asking me what the number means. :sweat_smile:

I just cleaned out your zero-street cities. Please message me directly if I’ve done something wrong. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Possibly - I’m interested in looking into the zero-completed-street crew to see if there are a lot of people who still don’t have any cities in here…

1 Like

Just noticed this. I like it. But I’m curios, how many Striders are below my ranking?

1 Like

Now that we have global ranking, could you possibly make it a hyperlink to the actual list? That way we could see how many streets we need to overtake the next person?

6 Likes

Can we get a leaderboard by number of countries?
And how many streets are there in the World of City Striders? :wink:

1 Like

Been fun to see how dynamic the rank is. I’ve ranged from 133-122 just in the time that it went live, so I can see that in the range of runners I’m in, we are all pretty close in street count!

These rankings are likely to drastically change in the next release. You can follow the last few posts in this thread for more info:

1 Like

I love the recent updates! But there is one element which still could be improved :slight_smile:
I am the strider who fulfils both criteria - 12352 streets as of today*, but my global rank is 2 :frowning:
I assume there might be a mystery strider who exceeds my current total - so it would be good to have also the Global ranking somewhere on the page (the Striders tab?) with the same solution as for the specific cities page, i.e. e.g. with a row like that:

• A private Strider is in 1st/nth place at … streets

so that I know whom I am chasing (and who is chasing me)

(*actually: the number of countries I run stands at 22, rather than 20 - Romania and Georgia are still missing from Citystrides. In Europe getting a large number of countries is not such a big deal, countries are small and flying anywhere takes no more than 3 hours, with many cheap airlines).

4 Likes

I second having a global rankings on the striders page, which is not useful as is because it is currently organized by date joined and no options to sort in any other fashion.

1 Like