Overpass Street Query

I was informed by a an OSM moderator of Vermont that when I changed a bunch of “Private” roads to access=private, that removes the road from routing engines. I validated the claim as accurate. We should only label any road as access=private if there is a sign forbidding access/trespassing

I then changed all of these roads back to access=yes but changed from highway=residential to highway=service highway=driveway

3 Likes

What do people think about whether to include ways with foot=no in combination with sidewalk=separate? I came across this street in my area that was not pulling into CityStrides due to the foot=no tag, but there is clearly a sidewalk alongside the roadway.

I haven’t yet but plan to add a sidewalk=separate (sidewalk:left=no and sidewalk:right=separate to be specific) tag to this way as well. So my question is - is it appropriate to pull street ways with a foot=no and sidewalk=separate tag into CityStrides? In this case, I would say yes, but I am curious about scenarios elsewhere in the world.

2 Likes

The tag foot=use_sidepath is imported into CS, I have used this a lot of times for streets that had foot=no but had sidewalks

1 Like

@hans1 Does using foot= use_sidepath keep the nodes on the street, or is the side path used? I’ve had situations where using the side path puts me more than 20m away from the car lanes, which makes getting the nodes tricky.

For example a bridge comprised of a footpath/light-rail tracks/2x2 lanes of traffic with a divider is too wide to get the nodes on the outside car lane. Would you use use_sidepath on the closer lane, and foot=no on the far lane?

The use_sidepath doesn’t change any nodes for the street, so yes I’ve also had instances where the sidepath (really an adjacent cycle/footway) gets to far from the car lanes. If so I’ve managed to run ”between” the two to get closer to the street.
For your other example, yes, I’ve done for some very wide streets with separated lanes

2 Likes

Good call - I think that makes sense in this scenario.

@JamesChevalier Would it be possible to exclude access = military as well? There are a number of barracks in my city that have mostly unnamed service roads but also include the odd named street that gets pulled into CS (example: Aachener Straße - CityStrides). I’ve jumped the occasional gate to get nodes, but I draw the line at sneaking past armed guards :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Seems reasonable…

When looking into the tag, I found that Key:access - OpenStreetMap Wiki mentions:

There are some roads with restricted access - roads in factory complexes, on military bases or driveways with clear out of bounds signage or barriers. To mark road as as restricted to only private access, add access=private.

To me, access=military implies that it’s private. I don’t know if that’s actually true or not.
It seems like it should be ok to ignore ways tagged that way, but based on the wiki text I’m wondering if those ways need to be re-tagged to access=private.
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Should all the ways for this street be tagged as foot=no?

New one for me has just popped up:

Can we add [‘service’ !~ ‘slipway’] to the list please? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That “way” would be a good one for when @JamesChevalier launches CityStrokes! :grin:

2 Likes

G’day, I’m new to CS but enjoying the challenge and the community so far. I’d like to second this suggestion from @tkajstura since there are many areas in my city that don’t make sense in the context of this game.
For example, the enormous foyer in our local children’s hospital is marked highway=pedestrian and area=yes - not the most appropriate place to be jogging.

FWIW, I actually built my own #everystreet software (in Golang) before discovering CS. Here are the extra Overpass filters my tool uses:

[highway!="corridor"] // indoor corridors, usually in shopping centres
[service!="driveway"] // I don't have the [name] requirement, so this is important
[area!="yes"]         // public squares and plazas, never streets
[surface!="cobblestone"][surface!="sett"]  // protect those ankles!!!

I’d recommend adopting any of these, provided it’s not too disruptive to long time users. :+1:

If public areas are intentionally included then an alternative solution to my hospital scenario above is to use [building!=roof] or even [!building]. No idea how common the pattern [name][highway][building] is overall since AFAIK taginfo doesn’t support multi-tag stats.

Ignoring streets that have surface set to "cobblestone" or "sett" would in my opinion be detrimental to most European users, me included. Many cities in Europe, especially the older ones, have quite a large number of streets that are entirely or partially covered in cobblestones or similar. Ignoring these would result in larger chunks of the city missing.

I am also inclined to think that area="yes" should generally be included. At least, including them makes more sense in my city than ignoring them. For the case of the foyer in your local children’s hospital, it sounds like it should be marked by indoor=yes in OSM. This is also a filter in the CS Overpass query, although I think that the CS Overpass query should probably be changed to ignore the other (positive) values of indoor, not only indoor=yes.

I think that ignoring driveways is already included in the query. Even the ones that have names attached to them.

4 Likes

Good perspectives, thanks @hhummel. European urban runners must have ankles of steel :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll add that indoor=yes tag to my local hospital and await the next CS OSM update.

2 Likes

I do not like the idea of ignoring cobblestones either. After all, one does not need to literally run every street… Walking, or hiking, is acceptable too. :wink:

2 Likes

Good find - the next release will include an update to that query which includes all the other indoor tags (updated CityStrides Street Query - Google Sheets as well)

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Removing service roads from those included in citystriders

Would this be fair to assume that you mean to remove slipways from showing up in CS lists? If so yes, I agree, I’ve found several areas in NH/Maine that have boat launches showing up as necessary to run.

1 Like

If it was me, I’d keep it… I was expecting it to extend into the water, but it doesn’t.

Oh wait, that second one does look like it has a node in the water! :grimacing:

Someone has recently added Christie Lane in St Leonards NSW: Christie Lane - CityStrides. This is a former street which no longer exists and it has been added with a tag of “razed”, where “razed” means completely obliterated. I think the overpass query should be updated to exclude streets so tagged.
Interestingly, I have visited both nodes, but still have not been given credit for completing the street, not sure if this is part of this issue or something different.