Overlay two people's citystrides map view

This was just released. :tada: Well, technically re-released because this was a feature ages ago that I had to remove for technical reasons that Iā€™ve just recently reworked. :nerd_face:

Supporters will have a ā€œShowā€ button on everyone elseā€™s ā€œuser cardā€ - between LifeMap and Profile. This will display that personā€™s LifeMap on the page in an automatically selected color. Nobody elseā€™s LifeMap will have animation features (no hover, no click/tap to visit the activity) but Iā€™m going to look into adding that.

Colors are hard, so I fully expect most issues to be around that. I donā€™t have a ton of data to test with locally, so itā€™ll be interesting to see how different the chosen colors are. Let me know how that works out for you (anyone reading along), because I have some other options to try out if things donā€™t work well right away.

While Iā€™m writing all this, Iā€™m realizing that there are some people who might have their privacy set to ā€œPer Activityā€ and then not have any public activities. This lets them get displayed on leaderboards etc, but not have their individual geo data shared. This will present itself by just not doing anything upon clicking the Show button.
At the time of displaying the Show button, I canā€™t know if there are any public activities - so I canā€™t choose to hide that button if there are none.
The handling of this data is entirely managed by Mapbox, so I canā€™t (donā€™t know offhand how to) display some visual cue that thereā€™s no data to display.
Iā€™ll keep thinking about this, because Iā€™d expect it to be a bad experience to click ā€œShowā€ and then have to wait and wonder if anything is happening. :sweat:

1 Like

In my brief look at some of the colors I did get a very close one. Iā€™ve run the north half of this screenshot and am comparing to someone who has run the south half.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a way to disable othersā€™ lifemaps without navigating back to a city page. Maybe a button can appear only if youā€™re on your normal lifemap page while another lifemap is visible? Also, if you click the eye icon to turn off all visible lifemaps, it doesnā€™t change the ā€œHideā€ back to ā€œShowā€.

Overall a pretty cool feature though. Iā€™ve definitely spent some time comparing to others so this will make it more convenient.

The ā€œshowā€ button should turn into a ā€œhideā€ button, to toggle their map back off. Is it not doing that for you?

:thinking: Something is up with your experience, because the ā€œeyeā€ button works for me to remove all other LifeMap layersā€¦

My current guess is that some JavaScript error occurred during one of the ā€œshowā€ actions which blocked later changes/features ā€¦ big guess though

Apologies if Iā€™m misunderstanding something, but there (currently) is no difference in the color of the Lifemap of the person youā€™re looking at and your own when you overlay, right?

Oh it works on the city page just fine. I can click show and hide no problem. But clicking the eye doesnā€™t change the hide back to show.

I click to show:

I click the eye to remove, which works but the toggle itself doesnā€™t change:

If you click the eye to toggle off nodes on an activity page, the hide changes back to show (youā€™ll just have to trust I clicked the eye).

What I meant about some sort of universal toggle off is if I navigate to another page such as my lifemap or a single activity, I have to go back to a city page to turn off the second lifemap.

If I am here, I can toggle my own lifemap (note no purple lines) but thereā€™s no way to get rid of the other brown lifemap:

No, they should all be somewhat different. Hereā€™s my area with three others shown on the map:

The code thatā€™s determining which color to use is based on a hash of the email address, so I wonder if everyone youā€™re seeing hasnā€™t entered their email into CityStrides.
Ultimately, Iā€™ll probably have to change thatā€¦

Oh! Oh! Oh! This all makes sense now. I can add some code to remove everyone elseā€™s LifeMap when you navigate away from the page. Thanks!!

Well, my n=3 for the top 4 striders (myself + 3 others) in Lisboa all seem identical. Iā€™d send a screenshot but it would just show purple on purpleā€¦

Tried with 2 more lifemaps in MA. Also tried logging in/out. Still all the same shade of purple. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Iā€™m dumb, I didnā€™t read closely that this is done from the City page and not from the other userā€™s Lifemap. It works!