OSM Basics

There is a stretch of US Hwy 1 that goes through Kittery Maine that has a very large outdoor outlet mall on each side of it. There are nice sidewalks and people walking up and down it constantly. In OSM it is listed as a “Primary Road”, which I think is the reason it’s nodes do not show up on CityStrides. It does indicate yes on foot access. Is there a way to make this strip show up in this situation? This feels like a road that should exist in city strides and it has 3 or 4 different ways to enter and exit it onto various residential streets (so this is not a segment detatched from the rest.) If it matters the speed limit is 25 mph.

It is the orange road here: OpenStreetMap

There is also an automated tutorial at OSM. As I recall, once you sign up, it will ask if you would like to see it.

If not, see this: Interactive tutorial to getting started editing OSM - OSM Help

I found it very helpful.

1 Like

Got totally confused trying to edit in OSM, so just left some comments, hopefully someone will pick them up! Think I’ll spend my time helping develop Citystrides rather than fiddling in OSM

@JamesChevalier , it seems that the roads I changed to foot=use_side path are still included in CS? My local OSM guru doesn’t want me to put dual carriage ways to foot=no when there is a side path because that will mess up route-planning, which makes sense. But the road is to wide to hit the nodes while running on the side-path. For example here: Groenezoom in Dordrecht, Zuid-Holland - CityStrides

Streets with foot=use_sidepath are included in CS, which is correct in my view. Mostly the sidepath is so close to the street that you catch the nodes, and it’s correct to say you ran this street, even if you’re on the sidepath and not the actual street

1 Like

And if it is too wide, you run the other side of the road!

1 Like

Unfortunately both your suggestions won’t work for these two roads I am encountering. As it is dual carriage, maybe I will be allowed to put the lane that is unreachable by foot to foot=no in OSM.

That would be a great compromise, if the Way records are built that way in OSM.

I’ve run a single road like this.
Just run it an early sunday morning at 5 a.m.

3 Likes

@8f7162110d9eeaf907ab I just wanted add a note of thanks for the inclusion of the overpass turbo query link. I’m living in a new, dynamic, area and it is very useful to find missing OSM info (street names / access settings) that would have impacted my striding.

Hopefully all we Striding OSMers are making use of it. The hit count seems to say yes!

Hi @ericjrw, glad you’re finding it useful! I should probably update the query to reflect changes in what’s included, it’s likely out of date by now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh, and also making sure my changes are working as intended!

And I was wondering if it was up to date. I made a mental note to look, but forgot.

I’m not seeing the edit tab on my OSM account… I’m using an Android phone, could that be the issue?

I don’t think the id editor (the default when you press edit on OSM) really works on mobile so it might be disabled. I do not see it either. There are some Android apps built for specific purposes, but unless that matches exactly with what you want, the experience is clunky at best. I would recommend using a laptop or desktop so you can use id on the website (advised) or josm as a standalone application (more powerful still, but a higher learning curve).

1 Like

Or down the middle. I’ve done that before. This one had a grassy area in the middle.

How do others feel about

How do others feel about this? I did this today for several miles of road. I wasn’t sure of my watch would pick up the nodes from both sides of the road and I didn’t want to have to run it twice. The road is divided by grass and only has one name. But it does have a separate set of nodes down both sides.

Is this cheating? I’m very on the fence about it.

1 Like

If it’s just a stripe of grass separating the lanes I just run it once, ideally down the middle divider. If there is enough space for buildings or sports cages I usually do both sides.

1 Like

I personally do them both. Its not super common near where I live and I think the lifemap looks better and more complete. I think most the time it wouldnt be necessary from a CityStrides completion aspect but we all have our own rules on how we like to do things. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer just what works for you in this case.

2 Likes

What’s the preferred way to handle roads that dead end, but the road (and nodes) continue on the other side of a highway, river, lake, etc.? I’ve got several incompletes because I’d have to backtrack, and run several miles out the way, to get to where the road starts up again. Should these be updated to distinct roads?

EDIT: OSM actually shows as separate roads. So is this a CS issue since they’ve got the same name and within the same city?

Going by your description, they sound correctly mapped in OSM. Citystrides joins all ways of the same name within one city, nothing you can do about it. If you want those streets finished you will indeed have to go out of your way to run the other side.

1 Like