Now Testing: City street/node updates

3,115 streets have no nodes :frowning:
Can’t complete a street with no nodes, because there is nothing to mark as complete
This is worse than the ‘one hand clapping’ thing
:rofl: :sob:

(:nerd_face: the 0/0 thing is just me deciding on where to center the view, since it errors out on null/null :nerd_face: )

2 Likes

Mystery solved.

At some point during the day today, some brand-new nodes showed up (on both Crescent St and Aberdeen Way).

I’m guessing that an OSM edit changed the delineation of those streets, extending them beyond where I had run. But the CS algorithm for counting them as incomplete must have taken hold before the algorithm for showing them on my map.

At least now I know what to go after!

1 Like

Thanks for updating DeLand, Florida (DeLand, Florida - CityStrides). The good news is that I’m now 10% closer to completing the city, moving from over 40% to over 50% in just a couple hours.

The bad news is that while looking at the remaining nodes to see if you missed anything, I found that I had missed a few nodes in areas I thought I had already completed. Poop. (I didn’t see any problems with what you did.)

Oh well, I guess I’m going to run back to those areas soon.

1 Like

Happily, all the zero-node streets that I had noticed in my profile have been resolved. No more weirdness, or need for an African cruise!

Yeah, sorry about messing up your cruise plans.
I decided to just delete them all - the city update code will bring them back if/when they’re fixed.

3 Likes

Dordrecht Netherlands, been making OSM edits in there last months.

1 Like

Aarhus, Denmark, please :slight_smile:

Will service = driveway remove the CityStrides nodes from that part of the street, or is the access = private tag the way to go?

1 Like

Right now ( spreadsheet linked from Overpass Street Query ) I’m not ignoring service=driveway but I am ignoring access=private

:thinking:

I wonder if I should add service=driveway to my query…

1 Like

I’d suggest also adding ignoring Service Roads and access=permissive

If possible, adding service = driveway to the query would definitely help some with my complete % in more than more city :sweat_smile:

1 Like

According to the wiki (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access) access=permissive means that access is currently legal and free, but that it may later be withdrawn (at which point the tag should be changed to access=private, I believe.
So I don’t think those roads need to be added.

1 Like

Hi @JamesChevalier,

cool to see the OSM update sync is in Beta.
As you maybe know or could have guessed, i have updated OSM a lot, especially after each citystride run. I also did quite some manual completion because of this.
Do you see time to sync my completed cities? Should get rid of 100+ manual completions. :smile:

I can also guess that you have other prio’s. Could you give a guestimate for when you think this feature will go live?

Netherlands:
Heerlen
Brunssum
Landgraaf
Kerkrade
Beekdaelen
Simpelveld
Beek
Voerendaal
Sittard-Geleen

1 Like

I’m a little confused about the difference between DeLand, FL (DeLand, Florida - CityStrides) and Daytona Beach, FL (Daytona Beach, Florida - CityStrides). It appears that DeLand was entirely cleaned up, with OSM corrections causing nodes to go away properly, and all nodes outside the city limits deleted. A beautiful thing to behold. (And one that upped my completion percentage by almost 10%, so I’m especially happy.)

But when I look at Daytona Beach, it looks like it was only half done. All the OSM street corrections appear to have worked (although I have made another one just the other day). But all the nodes outside the city limits are still there. Did something go wrong with the update process, or am I misinterpreting what did happen?

thanks for the update, great to see several closed parking spaces and such gone from the nodes map.

I’m going to request Waltham, MA & Belmont, MA to start. Waltham has 2 streets I’ve edited. Most of Antico Circle is private and gated and Edgewater Drive is a dead end, but the nodes go past a gated private driveway. I’ve edited the road so it ends at the gate.

In Belmont, Saint James Court is a dead end street, but for some reason CityStrides is recognizing the nodes around the giant mansion at the end of the street and not the street itself. I didn’t make an edit there as I’m not sure why it’s doing that. That’s the only thing keeping me from 100% (I’m anti-manual completion).

1 Like

Can I request Diemen, The Netherlands? I have run all streets apart from private roads, motorways etc, which (I think) I have edited in OSM.

1 Like

When does that cruise off the African coast leave? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi James, I see you have updated Diemen, many thanks for that! Most of the unrunnable streets have disappeared, I have missed a few ways in OSM that I will edit soon. Also a few new streets were added so I have my running goals set out.

One thing though, there are now 4 streets without nodes. They are not new roads (in reality) so I don’t know if the nodes were removed in CS or if they were added as empty in the last update. All 4 are pedestrian ways, but other pedestrian ways seem unaffected.

The streets:
Hato
CS: CityStrides
OSM: Way: ‪Hato‬ (‪361704833‬) | OpenStreetMap

Krenteboompjeshof
OSM: Way: ‪Krenteboompjeshof‬ (‪7043541‬) | OpenStreetMap

Sierkershof
OSM: Way: ‪Sierkershof‬ (‪285578694‬) | OpenStreetMap

Sierpeerhof
OSM: Way: ‪Sierpeerhof‬ (‪285578695‬) | OpenStreetMap

Example of an unaffected street:
Trompetboomhof
CS: Trompetboomhof in Diemen, Noord-Holland - CityStrides
OSM: Way: ‪Trompetboomhof‬ (‪285578696‬) | OpenStreetMap

Any idea if these streets existed prior to me running the update?
I’m wondering if the update deleted their nodes…

In the meantime, I’ve deleted all no-node streets in Diemen & I’ve started the update code again. This recreated the no-node streets. :thinking:

It’s weird how Solitude has its nodes extending into Hato: Solitude in Diemen, Noord-Holland - CityStrides

:thinking: My query is finding Hato, and it is listed as having 5 nodes, and all of those nodes are also present in the response, and it seems like some/all of them are present for Solitude’s street record.
I’ll review my city-update code to see what I’m doing wrong…

Update: I found Solitude in OSM, and it definitely doesn’t reference Hato’s nodes: Way: ‪Solitude‬ (‪445224343‬) | OpenStreetMap

I think they didn’t exist before, because at least 2 I have not run, and they would be on my list.

I noticed the thing with Solitude too, maybe a section was renamed in OSM? On Google Maps Hato does not even exist. If I get close I’ll check what the situation on the ground is, but I trust OSM in this respect.

Maybe the issue is that these all have existing nodes that were updated to belong to different streets?
I also noticed this: Bart van der Leckhof (a new street) Bart van der Leckhof in Diemen, Noord-Holland - CityStrides
OSM: Way: ‪Bart van der Leckhof‬ (‪492171674‬) | OpenStreetMap
It has only 1 node. Could it be that the other node(s) were already present in CS?